Matt's New Shop

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Matt's New Shop

Post by mdmead »

While I was waiting for the furniture company to come and get our broken sofa (which was delivered exactly a week ago), I heard a big truck outside. I looked out and found a dump truck instead! Guess my gravel is here!

Four loads total were delivered. Guess my concrete contractor is preparing!

After the first load of gravel was delivered, a building inspector from the County pulls down to my shop and I went out to greet him.

He asked who was building the shop and when I tell him Steel Structures, he notes they are one of the best. Good to hear and goes along with what I've found so far.

He pulls out his plans and paperwork and says the framing hadn't been signed off before the siding was installed like it was supposed to be. He was going to let it pass since he said he'd never known Steel Structures to skimp on the nails. Next he is looking up at the rafters and says a couple of 2x6 supports are missing and they will have to come out and add them. He kinda chuckles and says it's been a long time since he caught them on anything. Next he asks me about the concrete half wall. What? I tell him there is no concrete half wall. He then looks at his plans and realizes they aren't the right ones. He then asks if my address is ______. No....

Turns out he wasn't here to inspect my building, but a pole building being built down the road. He then finds my permit hanging on the wall and notes the framing had indeed been signed off when it was supposed to be. (Which also meant I wasn't missing any supports for the rafters either.) He won't be back to my place until the concrete is poured and that will be the final.

Oh, and the building down the road.... the siding is also done on it too. Steel Structures isn't building that one, but I suspect he'll let it slide.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by CaptSquid »

OK, Matt. How you gonna get all that gravel inside the shop? Or is that part of the contract?

Larry, it's 'sposed to get around 60º here tomorrow. Did you put a hex on our weather? I was dreamin' of a WHITE Christmas, not a brown one.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

Topic author
mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

CaptSquid wrote:OK, Matt. How you gonna get all that gravel inside the shop? Or is that part of the contract?
Yup, not my problem! I imagine I'll be seeing another Bobcat out here shortly...

(I could get it done. My dad has this: :) )

Matt
Selah, WA

Topic author
mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

doyoulikeithere wrote:just fyi.... the snowmobiler's woodstove.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VNZrd3aXAI[/youtube]
I just watched this video. Pretty cool!

I think I'll be watching Craigslist for a big used pellet stove. Something that direct vents out the back seems like a good way to go.
Matt
Selah, WA

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Larry, it's 'sposed to get around 60º here tomorrow. Did you put a hex on our weather? I was dreamin' of a WHITE Christmas, not a brown one.

Hex sent your way Mike. By the way,,,you still out in God's country ?
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Sorry, I was slacking a bit. Doors were installed last Thursday.

Guy showed up around 8am. Just one guy, all by himself. I thought he was local, but he came in from Idaho. (Steel Structures is out of Idaho too.) Didn't take long before there were signs of progress.

Not real impressed with the long pieces extended down to support the top rear sections of the door track. No problem supporting the door's weight, but they just aren't sturdy side to side. Probably doesn't matter... but I may add horizontal pieces that will tie the left and right sides of each set together.

Still waiting to get the gravel spread and the concrete poured. Concrete guy called and said he was waiting for the jobsite to dry out. (We had some pretty heavy rains right after the gravel was delivered.)
Matt
Selah, WA

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

Matt-I've sold tons of England Stove Works Pellet stoves and they are first class built with a excellent but in season very busy customer service.If you look at the way they are built and the welds,metal,all of it,it is very clear it is built to last.

http://www.englandsstoveworks.com/25-pdv.html

What I question is if it would cover the sq footage you have.Certainly it is convenient the 3" chimney pipe run because you just go out the side and don't have to go beyond the roof peak.Just up 6' and run a air inlet which if I remember right is only a 1 1 /4 flex pipe.

Look further on their site.I think you will find a Pellet furnace with a 120 lb hopper and in that case you could run pipe vents to spread the heat around the shop better.

The bottom line is I recommend England hands down.You won't be disappointed. =D>

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Looking great. Like that heater a bunch.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

They will assist you to hook up a programmable thermostat so when you're not there it turns the auger just fast enough to keep it lite.It is a dual auger with a electronic ignition,so you don't have to gel light it like the old ones.If you want to use Cherry pits or Corn,you have to special order those.The wood pellet stoves don't crossover.The Cherry or corn stoves have a special auger that vibrates because those fuels are so syrupy if used in a stove for wood,would jam up the auger.Fact is it is true the Cherry or Corn fuels do burn hotter,but you end up using more of it faster.It's hard to predict if Cherry or Corn fuels are going to end up being cheaper in the long run.Much of that depends on your location and what the costs are there.Just some common sense is to buy in the middle of the summer for your total use of the winter.No matter where you are,you can save a bunch of money doing it that.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Matt, did you think of putting Pex in the concrete for in-floor radiant heat later on? I will be doing that when I pour my next floor. You could then heat with a water heater or a dedicated boiler that could also run the in-floor radiant of your wife's new house. You could heat with wood, oil, propane, gas, coal (I use anthracite), pellets, corn etc.

I wonder what the extra cost would be to have the builder do this?
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:Matt, did you think of putting Pex in the concrete for in-floor radiant heat later on? I will be doing that when I pour my next floor. You could then heat with a water heater or a dedicated boiler that could also run the in-floor radiant of your wife's new house. You could heat with wood, oil, propane, gas, coal (I use anthracite), pellets, corn etc.

Yeah, I've considered it and would love to go this route. I may kick myself later for not doing it. But it really isn't in the budget. I've pretty much spent my allotment already and still need to bring electricity in.

I don't know what the cost would be. Looking around on the web, I saw mention of $5,000 for a building of my size. I saw other references to $6-12 a square foot, which would be even higher. Prices for the PEX though only looks to be a few hundred... so I guess the labor adds up.

With our climate, my need for heat only spans about 4 months max. And that's really just a comfort issue, and during that time I can usually find decent days to work without freezing to death anyway.

I'm thinking more hillbilly... I figure if I need to work on a specific project, there is no reason I can't build a portable framework covered by tarps and heat it with my 200,000 btu propane heater. (That heater will run a person out of my 24'x24' garage in less than 5 minutes when cranked up!)
Matt
Selah, WA

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

mdmead wrote:
LiftedAWDAstro wrote:Matt, did you think of putting Pex in the concrete for in-floor radiant heat later on? I will be doing that when I pour my next floor. You could then heat with a water heater or a dedicated boiler that could also run the in-floor radiant of your wife's new house. You could heat with wood, oil, propane, gas, coal (I use anthracite), pellets, corn etc.

Yeah, I've considered it and would love to go this route. I may kick myself later for not doing it. But it really isn't in the budget. I've pretty much spent my allotment already and still need to bring electricity in.

I don't know what the cost would be. Looking around on the web, I saw mention of $5,000 for a building of my size. I saw other references to $6-12 a square foot, which would be even higher. Prices for the PEX though only looks to be a few hundred... so I guess the labor adds up.

With our climate, my need for heat only spans about 4 months max. And that's really just a comfort issue, and during that time I can usually find decent days to work without freezing to death anyway.

I'm thinking more hillbilly... I figure if I need to work on a specific project, there is no reason I can't build a portable framework covered by tarps and heat it with my 200,000 btu propane heater. (That heater will run a person out of my 24'x24' garage in less than 5 minutes when cranked up!)

Matt.............you built this building so if you want heat,your going to put up a portable frame work with tarps.Now bud that is a interesting concept. #-o :poke: :poke: :muhaha: What's the chances that might draw the wife's attention??. 8-[ :axe: :yikes:

Matt,don't mind me.I am just kidding around. :yawinkle:

I suggest you talk it over with the wife and explain with all builds there are budget over runs.In no small part it will prepare her for when you guys do build the new house.That with this your running alittle short to finish the building for any future plans like heat and electric.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

mdmead wrote:I'm thinking more hillbilly... I figure if I need to work on a specific project, there is no reason I can't build a portable framework covered by tarps and heat it with my 200,000 btu propane heater. (That heater will run a person out of my 24'x24' garage in less than 5 minutes when cranked up!)
I am thinking of something like that only on a winch system where the curtains can be rolled down to wash the vehicles in the heated garage during the winter. Your setup would work for a temporary heated space.

You should ask your concrete contractor what the cost would be...maybe they can form the floor, put the mesh/rebar down and give you a week to install the pex yourself then pour the concrete.

I'm good at spending your money aren't I? :muhaha: :muhaha: :partyman:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:
mdmead wrote:I'm thinking more hillbilly... I figure if I need to work on a specific project, there is no reason I can't build a portable framework covered by tarps and heat it with my 200,000 btu propane heater. (That heater will run a person out of my 24'x24' garage in less than 5 minutes when cranked up!)
I am thinking of something like that only on a winch system where the curtains can be rolled down to wash the vehicles in the heated garage during the winter. Your setup would work for a temporary heated space.

You should ask your concrete contractor what the cost would be...maybe they can form the floor, put the mesh/rebar down and give you a week to install the pex yourself then pour the concrete.

I'm good at spending your money aren't I? :muhaha: :muhaha: :partyman:
Wonder if the building inspector would want a role in that??.Hummm
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote: You should ask your concrete contractor what the cost would be...maybe they can form the floor, put the mesh/rebar down and give you a week to install the pex yourself then pour the concrete.
I must say that is a very wise idea it can't hurt to ask them. If they allow it you have an option you didn't before and plenty of time to get the rest of the system together
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone