Rack & PInion Install

ANYTHING TO DO WITH STEERING, FROM STOCK TO RACK AND PINION UPGRADES

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Re: Rack & PInion Install

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Rebel wrote:I know Skip is busy lounging around the beach in Orlando so I'll give ya a little more info. No really, he's building a tranny and installing in a big van this week so I'll pass on a little info.'
If you guys remember, Skip installed a rack from a Ford Explorere in his van and a 94 Mustang in his sons. I don't know what tie-rod ends he used on his but the Mustang will require you to remove the stop limiters to get the full 6in. of travel from stop to stop. Easy to remove, just pull boot down from rack end and you'll see the blue plastic C shaped limiters, just pull them out on each end and that's it. The tie-rod ends used on the Mustang rack are from a 2004 Plymouth Voyager.
I'll be making up the rack brackets this weekend and get them tacked on. From there, I've got to wait on Skip to let me know what parts he used from rack to firewall. Little fuzzy on exactly what he did to connect up shaft.
Be back later this weekend with some part numbers on the Voyager tie-rod ends and maybe some pics.
Know for the Exploder rack he used LS1 Camaro tie rod ends. don't know about the mustang rack however.

Topic author
Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Not quite as exotic as the LS1 tie-rod ends I'm afraid,,lol. The 94 Mustang rack uses Plymouth Voyager ends and I'll have a part number on that as soon as I think to get it off the box while I'm in the garage.
:-k
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

Last edited by HPbyStan on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

HP, don't bother with the Explorer rack. I have one in the Smilie van. I'm changing to the 98 Mustang rack. It's more responsive. The Explorer rack has three and a half turns lock to lock. The 98 Mustang has two and a half. I installed the Mustang rack in my son's 91 Astro and he loves it. And he lets me know it everytime he sees me. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

Last edited by HPbyStan on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket

Topic author
Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Skip,,which of the two lines on the rack is the pressure side ? Look at page 1, next to last pic of rack sitting under my van with the tie-rods bolted in..The upper cut line with tape over tubing or the lower ?
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Larry, I think the upper line is the pressure line. I'll check Wally's van to make sure and get back to you.

Topic author
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

That'll be good,, no rush at all. Thanks Skip

VIDEO

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Well, I miss spoke. I don't usually do that. Delete my last statement on the location of the pressure hose. The pressure hose is definitely the lower port on the rack unit.

Topic author
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Thanks Skip. Looking at the rack I couldn't see any difference in the two, location or size of tubing. You are the rack guru my man. Thanks again. =D> :prayer:

VIDEO

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

Last edited by HPbyStan on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket

Topic author
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Stan,,they are the correct fit to inner tie rod and spindle. Not sure what the Mustang tie-rod end measured in length so don't know if any different there. That Plymouth part number is for TRW #18250HD.
Good luck on the install Stan.

VIDEO

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

Last edited by HPbyStan on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket

Topic author
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

You're very welcome Stan. Brought to you by our own smiliesafari. =D>

VIDEO

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

Last edited by HPbyStan on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket