Driveshaft lengths...RWD -vs- AWD

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ON THE REAR DRIVE SHAFT OR AXLE, IT GOES HERE.

Topic author
BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Driveshaft lengths...RWD -vs- AWD

Post by BLAZER »

Are the rear driveshafts from a RWD the same length as the AWD? I still have that annoying driveline vibration and I was thinking maybe checking the junkyards for one just to check if maybe mine is fried. Or I could take it to a driveshaft shop and have them check it? :-k It's starting to really get on my nerves!!!

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Nope...the AWD's are shorter.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

e7ats
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by e7ats »

by how much?
2003 AWD ASTRO Personal van

BoguSoft
I am merely driving my van

Post by BoguSoft »

I would guess they would be 17" too short. The T-case is about that long on my AWD.
1985 Safari Cargo Shorty, 4.3 Auto, 70,000 Orig Miles !!!
1990 Astro Cargo Shorty Lowrider, 4.3 Z Code
1994 Safari EXT SLE AWD, 4.3 W Code
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L LTD
1987 Jeep YJ, 4.2L, HEI, MC2100, 5.5" Lift, 33" MT's

PJ

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Yup. I dunno about it being exactly 17" too short, but an awd d-shaft won't fit fer sure.

Topic author
BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

Cool, my vibration is getting worse again, thought I had it licked when i cahnged the tailhousing bushing and ujoints. I hope it's not the tranny.

astro-jason

Post by astro-jason »

Hey Blazer,Have you checked to make sure everything is sitting where it needs to be? I had a problem w/my 84 p/u one time, and I fixed by putting it on jack stands and loosend the trans.mount, transmission and motor mounts, started the truck and gave everything a good tug,push and cussin an then retourqued everything and bingo problem solved. just a thought give it a try maybe you'll find something when your under there. Jason
astro-jason 1998 astro k&n filter,trans cooler,trailer hitch,black tinted windows
"astrovette"1986 safari,94LT1, headers,17in wheels, frt bumper cover,trans cooler,hidden hitch,rear door shaved w/remote popper,digital dash and a bunch of other stuff.

Topic author
BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

Not really, but I've changed so much doing the lift and all who knows what could have changed. Funny thing is it just startd out of the blue while running 70mph onthe interstate last May, thought it was the new gears we installed. We tore those back apart and went from there, still not fixed. Mainly does it when it's running at steady speed right before you let up off the gas, something about the steady pressure on a bearing or something. I was actually thinking about a mount of some sort, but everything seems tight, guess I should crawl under and check again.