What's after Safari/Astro vans???

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Re: What's after Safari/Astro vans???

Post by WVKayaker »

With the Astro out of production it would seem to me there is a market here in N America for the Ford Diesel Transit. I wonder what the cost is versus the Dodge Sprint?
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Someone »

my source at Ford Fleet says 2010 for the Transit, or atleast a revamped version of it for Canada... I would guess about the same for the US... He had nothing to say about pricing
'98 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
'89 4Runner SAS'ed, 38.5SX's, Mercedes OM617 Turbo Diesel
'98 Suburban K2500, Cummins 24Valve, 5spd 4x4
'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

www.vehiclefleetsolutions.ca

CDGsafari98
I get chills without my van.

Post by CDGsafari98 »

Whats the point of the transit if it is underpowered. Yes MPG's are important, but what good is 50 mpgs if it takes you 5 hours to go from NY to DC
2000 AWD Astro daily driver/ family car
98 AWD Safari I call it "the Van" Dead at the moment
02 Grand Am "the wifes car"

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

I'm sure the Transit will be capable of interstate speeds. I coundn't find a 0-60 time for it yet.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Someone wrote:my source at Ford Fleet says 2010 for the Transit, or atleast a revamped version of it for Canada... I would guess about the same for the US... He had nothing to say about pricing
Are you sure he's not talking about the Transit Connect, a smaller FWD van? I've read on several sites about it coming to the US in that timeframe.

Although, maybe Mexico is a stepping stone to the US for regular Transits.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Someone »

ihatemybike wrote:
Someone wrote:my source at Ford Fleet says 2010 for the Transit, or atleast a revamped version of it for Canada... I would guess about the same for the US... He had nothing to say about pricing
Are you sure he's not talking about the Transit Connect, a smaller FWD van? I've read on several sites about it coming to the US in that timeframe.

Although, maybe Mexico is a stepping stone to the US for regular Transits.

It is possible... as I said he used the word "revamped" as if they were not happy enough with the current configuration and they are going to rework it... I will try and get some more details from him next time he and I are at the shop at the same time.... could be a month or so before I see him as theFactory ford EDGE/MXV program we are working on got put off for a couple months...
'98 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
'89 4Runner SAS'ed, 38.5SX's, Mercedes OM617 Turbo Diesel
'98 Suburban K2500, Cummins 24Valve, 5spd 4x4
'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

www.vehiclefleetsolutions.ca

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

CDGsafari98 wrote:Whats the point of the transit if it is underpowered. Yes MPG's are important, but what good is 50 mpgs if it takes you 5 hours to go from NY to DC
No offense, but that's just plain silly to say this van can't do 65mph+
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

I know I'll be switching to a different DD soon as well but I'll be driving a large diesel truck lol. In all seriousness I heard about some VW vans that are in europe. From what I've seen of em they may be a worthy replacement but alas not here yet.

Honestly tho Most people who drive M-Vans have been for a very very very long time. Because once you've had one they are hard to find a replacement for. I mean seriously a vehicle that holds 8 people comfortably. Can tow like a champ. Is reasonable to repair / buy parts for. and is still reasonably quick. The MPG for these beasts is pretty fair. The next closest thing really is a Tahoe/Yukon XL. But they suck back fuel like it's going out of style. Sucks that GM dropped em buyt what can ya do. The problem isn't getting people to keep driving them in this case. It's the lack of a youthful WOW factor that gets people to start driving them. Piss off is tho Every one who has ever used borrowed or been in mine wants once just as my generation is getting tot he age of having purchasing power but alas can't get new ones anymore. Take my buddy for example. Has always had GM trucks his whole life. then on a whim bought a lincoln continental. Now that car isn't a DD by no means. I loaned him my van for a day as he had some serious running around to do and wham he's trying to find one for him self he loved it so much. Same thing happened with my brothers and most of my girl friends family.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

I hear ya. I've been driving astros since 1990 and my 1st car was a VW Bus, a 1972 I bought from my dad in '77 and drove 'til '81.
I rolled it in 1980 but that's another story for another day............
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

ihatemybike wrote:I'm sure the Transit will be capable of interstate speeds. I coundn't find a 0-60 time for it yet.

Thats because none of them have reached 60 yet! :muhaha: Hope you have an energizer battery in your stop watch!
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

kamenz

Post by kamenz »

T.Low wrote:
ihatemybike wrote:I'm sure the Transit will be capable of interstate speeds. I coundn't find a 0-60 time for it yet.

Thats because none of them have reached 60 yet! :muhaha: Hope you have an energizer battery in your stop watch!
But then you could help it along with your paddle! :muhaha:
Kamenz

1998 Astro AWD Conversion

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

i could never ever ever ever see driving a MINI van of any sort over the old trustworthy safari, i am proud to drive such a vehicle and girls love it, but if i drove any other form of van other than a full size i wouldnt show my face on the roads. if you are lloking for something easy to park the astro is your solution, it doesnt get any easier to parrelel park than driving an astro with its super short front. towing 3000lbs with ease can only be accomplished with an astro. do not, i repeat do not get anything other than an astro because you will only regret your decision!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

CDGsafari98

Post by CDGsafari98 »

Dont worry wv kayaker no offense taken, But let us all remember that part of the fun of driving is the driving and if you have to drive at Ice cream truck speeds where is the fun? I agree the only vehicle that offers the flexability you are looking for is a M van.
Truly speaking if I had the money I would buy seven of these, each modified for a diffferent reason. But with that said I only need one becasue the one will serve all seven purposes.
\:D/ :drinkers: :supz:
2000 AWD Astro daily driver/ family car
98 AWD Safari I call it "the Van" Dead at the moment
02 Grand Am "the wifes car"

Topic author
Spike99
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Spike99 »

Thanks for everyone's feedback.... Appreciate all your feedback.... Especially the "heads up" of the future "van like" 2.2 Diesel engine vehicle that will soon hit the North American market. Hopefully, other auto-makers will clone their van shape as well. Thus, more avaiable models of between mini-van and SUV shape vehicles in the future.

ryanhettenbach
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by ryanhettenbach »

go for a used Toyota Previa van.
4 cylinder, turbo, RWD or AWD, mid-engine and was available in a manual transmission and even a TURBO!!!
that's more like a lamborghini than a van!

or

a VW Vanagon with a turbo Subaru motor swapped in. :supz:
1989 Cargo 5spd. Fiberglass Roof.
2002 AWD LS, white