removing the slider door for maintenance

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
astronut74
I sleep in my van

removing the slider door for maintenance

Post by astronut74 »

Ok, so I've been having a few issues with my slider lately. Nothing too serious yet, but I wanted to fix it before the problems get worse. The problems?
1) When it gets "Florida" cold ( 50*F or below), it becomes much harder to slide. I'm not sure of the solution to this, but I would imagine the track or roller needs lubrication. The upper track has got plenty of lubrication, but the center track is bone dry.
2) The christmas tree anchors that hold the door panel to the door are starting to break or wear out and need replacing. The panel catches on the body of the van and prevents the door from opening unless I push the panel into the door.
3) the latch needs cleaned and lubricated... before it breaks. The latch has stuck on me a couple times, but no big deal.
I read briefly on the door removal in the Haynes manual that I have, but I'm curious, is this something that one person can do by themselves? I hate having to ask for help, if it's something I can do myself. Aside from the weight of the door, do you need 2 people getting the door back it the tracks and on the van?
Thanks in advance,
Steve O
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: removing the slider door for maintenance

Post by potskie »

It's not insanely heavy I can move the one from my 90 and from my 93 around off the van my self but it is awkward so I would suggest a helper just to help position it if anything.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

canadavan
I get chills without my van.

Post by canadavan »

I have done slider work twice and you can do it by yourself but its easier with a helper. Often issues with the door are related to the roller in the center track or in the upper track. On my van, the center track roller was gibbled and I'd have to slam the door for it too close, otherwise the back of the door wouldn't tuck into the body. Replacing that requires removing the passenger side rear taillight and the interior trim to expose the bolts holding the exterior slider track trim. Its a little time consuming but doable. The helper part comes when its time to take the door off or to put it back on. its heavy and awkward and you really don't want to drop it. I actually just slid the door back until the rear roller came out of the body and then slid it forward again with the top and bottom rollers still in their tracks. I propped the door with a milk crate. One warning. The track for the upper roller is easily bent if too much weight is put on it. I wouldn't recommend letting the door dead hang from the top track. BTDT with a buddies van.
"Damn, youse funny lookin'..."

Todd
Former owner of the Rocket van - v8 powered 1990 Astro
Tall man, no van

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

Check my post on the slider....

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=526&p=4202#p4202
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

Topic author
astronut74
I sleep in my van

Post by astronut74 »

Hey thanks for that link water boy. You mentioned that the slider would never "pop" open that you had to pull the rear corner. Did that fix the problem? I also have to pull the corner to get the door open. Thanks for the responses guys. hopefully I'll get this done soon. I'll let you know how it went.
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

astronut74 wrote:...You mentioned that the slider would never "pop" open that you had to pull the rear corner. Did that fix the problem? I also have to pull the corner to get the door open....
Yes
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

Is the rollers for the door a dealer item only??. :-k
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.