Tire choices w/ 5" lift

HAVE A TIRE QUESTION? LIKE YOUR TIRES AND WANT TO LET EVERYONE KNOW? NEED TO KNOW IF THEY WILL FIT? POST IT HERE.

Topic author
T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Tire choices w/ 5" lift

Post by T.Low »

Wanna start by thanking Someone for the wheel info at the top of the page.

I just bought these off of craigslist for $100. 16". My lift kit is in the mail. Thye may not be the last wheel I buy for the rig...they may end up sporting studded snows in a year or two, being my full time winter wheel, we'll see.
chevy wheel.jpg
But for now, I need a tire that is secure on rainy mountain pass highways at 70mph, and won't leave me stuck in the greasy mud of wet fire roads and river access points.

I guess I'm thinking Toyo Open Country AT, or of course every body and their brother seems to use the BFG AT. I had them before on numerous trucks and have no complaints.

I think I want to go with a 30" tire for wheel well clearence.

Really like the look of the fit of this tire and 5" lift. Possibbly go a hair taller.
Van_right_side_sized.jpg

How much of a compromise on the wet highway would the Toyo Mud Terrain be?

Thanks in advance for any info. I'm supposed to be getting ready for my Mexico trip Saturday but all I think about is my lifted van. Then I found http://www.expeditionportal.com and really got side tracked. Awesome site but they have a serious need for some Astros on that site! (got me thinking about a 2spd transfer case, too)

Anyone near me want these 16" with relatively new Tiger Paws, I'll give you a smoking deal ( in a few weeks).
IMG_1085.jpg
IMG_1085.jpg (62.77 KiB) Viewed 4975 times
Hey moderators; since my "Quest for ultimate shuttle rig" thread is basically a "build" thread, should I continue posting build questions on that same thread, ( including this question),or post questions in each relevant category of the forum? Thanks,
T.Low
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Tire choices w/ 5" lift

Post by BLAZER »

I had 5"s of lift on my 95 RWD and ran 31" AT's on it with a set of Fullsize truck rally wheels. I had to do some trimming of both front lower bumper and rear fender lip. I also had slight rub of the front sway bar. If you run 30's, you may not have to do any trimming.
Tires....I was running some generic AT tires and they did very well. I put on some BFG's on the back and was very dissappointed in their wet road traction, ended up putting on a set of goodyear GSR's just cause I needed some decent tires to sell it with. Now I'm running a set of Toyo Open Country's on my Tahoe and so far really like them. Mine are 33"'s, but I would imagine they would do good for you in the smaer size. Just about nay mud terrain is not going to have very good wet traction, but I have heard excellent reviews about the Cooper SST's for all around traction and they are decently priced.

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Excellent reply Blazer, thanks.

Now I'm thinking Toyo Open Countrys and I'll check but I think thats what 91LiftedAWD said his wife has on her Trailblazer and is very happy with them.

I do not want to be that guy with the cool lifted van that is in the ditch on the side of the highway cause he chose the wrong tires for the rainy part of the country.
ImageImageImageImage

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I posted that Lynne has the Toyo Open Country A/T's and we definitely love them. I also love the Cooper Discoverer line of tires especially the S/T's. They are a touch more aggressive than the BFG A/T's and much better in snow than most M/T's.

The pic of the green van on 30's is mine. I ran stock Astro wheels and the tires were 30 x 9.5 R15 LT's. If I had to do it over I would go with the 30" tall tire and try to find some that are 10.5 to 11.5" wide. They would have filled the wheel well better for sure and would have look a little better. I did have to do some trimming anyways so if you want taller, go for it now.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Thanks.

The local tire shop has a set of returned (but basically brand new) Kelly Pathfinder All Terrain OWL. he'd send me out the door with 'em for $433. Kelly is a subsidiary of BFG and the tires looked like BFG AT's to me. The common theme I keep hearing about BFG AT is hydro planing. I live in the Pacific NorthWET!

I'm still researching reviews online.
ImageImageImageImage

dilly
I get chills without my van.

Post by dilly »

does anyone have a close up picture of a typical trim job?
95 safari awd-2" overland lift,29" ATs on 15x7 chrome truck rims
2000 astro 2wd g80-company truck/work van

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

I have used 29 and 31" Pro Comp AT tires on my van and I have been very happy with them all around and the prices are great. Under $400 shipped to me and then the cost to have them fitted that ran around $50.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

lockdoc wrote:I have used 29 and 31" Pro Comp AT tires on my van and I have been very happy with them all around and the prices are great. Under $400 shipped to me and then the cost to have them fitted that ran around $50.

How did you like the different sizes?
ImageImageImageImage

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

dilly wrote:does anyone have a close up picture of a typical trim job?

I think I saw some on "lift kit installed" thread by 9dawgs.
ImageImageImageImage

violent b
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by violent b »

T.Low wrote: My lift kit is in the mail.
what lift kit did you go with? I have a '95 RWD Astro and I think I'm going with the Overlandvans or the Boondox kit. is there any other choices for lift kits?
The Midget and Monkey madman!

Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Someone »

I have ran many different size sets of BFG a/t's over the years... I find they have good tread life , and good allround traction, but have seen more than one of them either tear a sidewall or loose a belt. of course these problems are trail related. I went out offroading yesterday on a set of 35" a/t's and had no problems, the ground was frozen with some surface mud... still made it up all the hills and across all of the rivers, even with 4" of ice to break threw. Other than the A/t I like the Good year M/TR but there is a big price jump, less availability, and decreased wet weather traction(but still fine to me)

I also have liked the knock of BFG Mud terrain... I believe they make them as a cooper and a kelly... very good tread life but the a/t will beat it in the wet.
'98 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
'89 4Runner SAS'ed, 38.5SX's, Mercedes OM617 Turbo Diesel
'98 Suburban K2500, Cummins 24Valve, 5spd 4x4
'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

www.vehiclefleetsolutions.ca

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

violent b wrote:
T.Low wrote: My lift kit is in the mail.
what lift kit did you go with? I have a '95 RWD Astro and I think I'm going with the Overlandvans or the Boondox kit. is there any other choices for lift kits?

My email to Overland Vans:

I am picking up my '03 AWD Astro this week, and want to lift it asap.

I have been doing research on the Astrosafari web site (what an incredible resource) and I think these are the items I need a quote on from OLV:

1. 4-5" Lift Kit L9506-4LK $540.00
2.Front bumper relocation brkts ML9504-BB $100.00
3. performance spring hangers ML8506-HiPo-SH/CCB $325
4. Rancho 9000 with in dash remote adjustability:
5. Rear shock relocation tabs

Overland Vans to me
show details Jan 27 (5 days ago)

Tom, got everything fiqured out for you, will breakdown. Will also breakdown in the paypal invoice I'll send when you give me the OK so you'll have it to print out for your records. Kit,$540.00; Hangers,$175.00; Bumper Brackets,$100.00; Shocks,$372.00; Dash Kit(that is very cool),$137.00; SRT's,$30.00; S/H, $103.00; for a total of $1,457.00. That is one killer set-up dude. Let me know when you're ready for the invoice, DAN

He's double checking to make sure I'm getting the hangers I need. I could have sorced the shocks and fabbed some pieces elsewhere, but frankly, the dude seems to be a great resource for Astro vanners and I want to help keep him in business.

Will post the install late February, after we get back from Mexico.

dilly wrote:does anyone have a close up picture of a typical trim job?
I do, but there's not enough tequila in all of Mexico for my Fiancee to let me post it on the internet! :axe:
ImageImageImageImage

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

Strange to hear about the suspect water problems with BFGs. I have 30s on my '98 and absolutely love them. I'm on my 3rd set. I get about 50,000 miles out of them and they are ironically, terrific in the rain!
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

LaGrasta wrote:Strange to hear about the suspect water problems with BFGs. I have 30s on my '98 and absolutely love them. I'm on my 3rd set. I get about 50,000 miles out of them and they are ironically, terrific in the rain!

I agree, it makes ya wonder. I know from reviews of items in my own industry how much they can differ and how opposite of my own review of an item they can be. On the one hand the Kelly Springfield Pathfinders seem to be a BFG AT and I can get a small deal on those, mount 'em up today and its one thing off my project list, install them as soon as the lift kit gets here.

On the other hand, the van is our third vehicle, will take a few years to wear out a set of tires. If I don't like them, I have to be prepared to take a couple hundred dollar hit on them. Tires are one area I do not want to skimp on. I want the best tool for the job. Hmmm.

Tire selection link:

http://www.expeditionswest.com/research ... _rev1.html
ImageImageImageImage

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

AstroSafariVans web site,It may seem like I'm nitpicking ,but I'm not.

Anyhoo,your going to be happy with that kit,Dan has sold many of those to members of this community,your van is gong to look great,remember to snap some before and after pics.