whats a good head unit

ANYTHING RELATED TO AUDIO OR VIDEO SYSTEMS WHETHER STOCK OR AFTERMARKET.

Topic author
midnighthunder89
I finally get the smurf thing

whats a good head unit

Post by midnighthunder89 »

any suggestions on a new head unit for the safari? also does anyone think that this will help the awful sound in the car or do i need new speakers all around? :-k
99 sle awd safari
Another addition to cash for clunkers.

ds99
I get chills without my van.

Post by ds99 »

New speakers are always a good thing.
After a few years the stock ones just turn to junk.
I personally like the Sony head units, they are clear and have a sturdy construction on the cd drive.
I've also used Pioneer head units, but the volume level seems lower even though the rating per channel is the same as the Sony (52wx4)
Last edited by ds99 on Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
98 AWD Astro w/Corvette servos and shift kit,
The Watermelon
I have a shoe, and its scary...
No I wasn't in prison, just busy with kids :)

TechSys
I am smitten with my van

Post by TechSys »

Budget?

I'll be installing a JVC kd-AVX1 which is in the Beretta right now. Haven't had any problems with it since I bought it in Feb. 2006 and I've been pretty darn hard on it.

It's a little on the expensive side, but for a van it'd be put to good use with the rearview camera capability.

Also, change out the speakers. You'll notice a pretty good differance (better) in sound just by doing that.

Just my .02
No sig yet, working on new one

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Depending on what you like for sound & durability . for about $150 to $200 dollars you can get a kenwood or alpine indash cd headunit . personally i like kenwood for great sound adjument capabilities . alpine has a bass boost feature which alot of people like . but both types are well worth the money in my opinion.
speakers are allways a best bet to replace , stock speakers unless you have like a bose factory system , are basicly junk . so anything you put in is gonna be better than stock.

i have a kenwood cd headunit & kenwood 6x9 three ways in the dash & kenwood 5 1/4 inch 2 ways in the back doors & stock speakers in the pillars . I do need a little more bass in the back of the van cuz the back speakers are so small . but i;m thinking a bazooka tube in the back will take care of that problem .

this is just my opinion mind you , i'm sure others will have thiers . :yawinkle:
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

brianj
I am smitten with my van

Post by brianj »

you asked for the best. The best I have ever seen, had, or heard was a pioneer premier p1r. As I recall it was dry, meaning you have to run amps.

I was pretty happy with every alpine I've owned, and probably would buy another.

I had a blaupunkt casablanca, and it had outstanding tuner capabilites (I had shaved the antenna and used a cable antenna tucked in the headliner, and it was awsome)

Currently I am running a lanzaar in the camaro, it's junk. I have an aiwa in the boat, and really like it. It has a nice eq and h-bass settings. Best of all it has an aux input for the ipod.

the van is pure stock, eventually I plan to replace the speakers, and possibly add a sub with amp. I will probably keep the factory head for awile at least.

bri
2001 safari awd.
Hidden Hitch, Plate Tranny Cooler, computer tune-up via jet programmer.

located in Fort Wayne, Indiana

I have an uncanny ability to make my wife crazy, and I am not afraid to use it!

astrosafari

Post by astrosafari »

Alpime all the way....
91 blazer|00 extreme|99 winter beater

trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: whats a good head unit

Post by trybe13 »

midnighthunder89 wrote:any suggestions on a new head unit for the safari? also does anyone think that this will help the awful sound in the car or do i need new speakers all around? :-k
The only way to answer your question about the head unit is to give a price range of how much you are willing to spend. Any h/u in the 5-800 dollar range is going to be better than anything you can get for 1-200 dollars.
And as stated previously the best way to have better sound on a budget is to go with aftermarket speakers. I would be willing to almost guarantee that any name brand speaker in the 100 dollar price range is going to sound better than stock.
90 Safari XT Hi Top
Lead guitarist for The Jericho Effect
Click the link to bang that head! http://www.ilike.com/artist/Trybe13

Topic author
midnighthunder89

ummm price thats something i think about i just want the best one for the money...i dont want the screen that flips out or anything but something i could plug ipod into would be nice.
99 sle awd safari

brianj
I am smitten with my van

Post by brianj »

that being said, the alpine is the way to go if you want to control the ipod. The Aiwa is the way to go for price. I gave something like $120.00 for mine about 2 years ago. I am unsure of other reputable brands that have front inputs.

My Lanzaar has a front input, but it is junk. I am pretty sure dual has front inputs as well, but would not consider that a reputable brand.

bri
2001 safari awd.

Topic author
midnighthunder89

anyone know anything about this unit...JVC KD-HDR1
99 sle awd safari

brianj
I am smitten with my van

Post by brianj »

This looks like this is the cheapest place around. Not a bad price
http://www.hotbuyselectronics.com/item_ ... _id=112724
It seems you will need an additional adapter for the aux input though. I found it for about 35.00.

I am not familiar with HD radio, as we're pretty radio sucky around here. (unless you're an am junky and are familiar with wowo from back in the day) but it sounds like a cool feature, I would just worry that the FM tuning capabilites would suffer due to the added bonus of HD.

bri
2001 safari awd.

TechSys
I am smitten with my van

Post by TechSys »

That's not a bad price for that unit at all.

The Pros:

2 pairs of preouts
1 subwoofer preout
MP3/WMA Compatible with ID3/WMA Tag
HD radio.

The cons:

Doesn't list preout voltage, probably 2volt. Nope, jsut checked the user manual, it's 2.5volt
Subwoofer output is 2.0volt

The cons are not a bad thing, but I like 5volt at minimum. that's probably just my opinion though. Hell, I'd probably get this one if I didnt have the one I got already.

Topic author
midnighthunder89

i dont really know anything about them i just went to crutchfields and looked at some and the reviews and it seamed like most liked it what are the preouts for why do you prefer 5 volt.
99 sle awd safari

TechSys
I am smitten with my van

Post by TechSys »

The higher the RCA output of the headunit, the less you have to turn up the input gain on the amplifier. Makes it a little easier to match the input of the amplifier to the output of the headunit.

A lot of SQ (sound quality) competitors like having the higher RCA outputs. Suppsoedly it gives cleaner sound. It also helps to reduce the amount of noise in the system.

2volt outputs are not bad. As a matter of fact, most headunits are 2volt.

I prefer highout outputs so I don't have to turn the input gain up so much. A 2volt input to the amplifier will probably make the amplifer input gain have to go about halfway up to reach full potential. 5volt, I barely have to crack open the input gain.

Jared
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by Jared »

Sorry for dragging up an old thread here, but I wanted to pass along a tip that saved me a TON of $$:

If you like Kenwood equipment, I know of a dealer that offers wholesale pricing. I happen to be local to this dealer (San Diego, CA), and have been a regular walk-in customer for some time. I do NOT have any affiliation with them; I am just smitten by the pricing they offer. For the record, I suggest only NEW equipment, NOT refurbished (due to warranty - you get 1 yr on new and only 30 days on refurbs).

http://www.salectronics.com

This post is not intended as an advertisement, but as a tip to save some of you folks some real $$. If an admin or moderator sees this post as an advertisement, please feel free to delete it.