Please help, ABS Light On after driving

FROM STOCK TO WILD, BRAKE ISSUES AND UPGRADES GO HERE.

Topic author
moboman
I get chills without my van.

Please help, ABS Light On after driving

Post by moboman »

My ABS light comes on it seems when the van either shifts into second or I put my foot on the brake after driving.
When I turn the van off, and when I turn the van back on the light is off. Then it comes on again.
Today I bled the brakes and I unplugged the battery. The light came back like it normally does.

The Van is a 97 RWD Cargo with a 3.42 rear end. I replaced the rear end a few months back, but the light didn't start coming on until a couple weeks ago.

I have a scanguage, but it can't scan for brake codes. None of the local auto parts places have a brake code scanner.

Thanks in advance, David

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Please help, ABS Light On after driving

Post by Smiliesafari »

Most likely the Electronic Brake Control Module. It can be removed from the ABS unit without interrupting the hydraulics.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
moboman

Post by moboman »

Thanks, is the electronic brake control module inside the ABS box under the van?

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

The EBCM is held in place with four screws and is fastened to the top of the ABS unit. The screw closest to the frame is a real pain to remove. You also have to remove five electrical connectors. They just unclip. The whole job isn't a big deal. Shouldn't take more than about an hour.

Topic author
moboman

Post by moboman »

I guess the ABs light will stay on after I pull all the electronics? Because I could just pull the ABS fuse and accomplish the same thing, right?

How expensive is it to replace the controller?

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Yes, you could just pull the fuse. I don't know if that will turn the light off. It will disable the ABS. Search the web for rebuilt EBCM's. I ran across a site but I don't remember where. Rebuilt they run about $150.00. New I think they are around $300-$400. You should check the salvage yards. I bought a complete ABS unit that included the EBCM and the proportioning valve for $75.00.

canadavan

Post by canadavan »

Before you replace anything, read those codes. Sometimes the issue is a broken wire, or a dirty wheel sensor. I believe that you put a jumper (I use a paper clip) between terminals A and H with the key turned but not on.
"Damn, youse funny lookin'..."

Todd
Former owner of the Rocket van - v8 powered 1990 Astro
Tall man, no van

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Mobo's van is a 97. I'm pretty sure the jumper method won't work. On the OBDll systems you need a scanner.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

The jumper method to read codes will not work on the 97. Also if you just pull the fuse for the ABS, the ABS light will still be on though. To get the light to go out, you will need to unplug the 2 wire plug with the #10 wires in it. I also agree, find the code and then make the decision on the repair. Many times it is a dirty wheel speed sensor. The front ones should be fairly easy to clean out as it should be mounted to the backside of the rotor.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
moboman

Post by moboman »

Thanks guys.

Ya I meant to call the dealer today to ask if they could read them, my dealership kinda sucks.

Spike99
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Spike99 »

Smiliesafari wrote:The EBCM is held in place with four screws and is fastened to the top of the ABS unit. The screw closest to the frame is a real pain to remove. You also have to remove five electrical connectors. They just unclip. The whole job isn't a big deal. Shouldn't take more than about an hour.
Currently, I have the fuse pulled for my 2001 AWD Safari's van's ABS brakes. Its other ABS sensor is gone (which I refuse to pay over $400 to replace) and without ABS (even with both sensors working), my van actually brakes much better. Probably why some makes of cars now have "optional" ABS systems. Anyway.... With ABS fuse pulled, I got a few dash lights lit up. If I pull the EBCM and its 5 wire connectors, will the existing dash ABS lights go off? If so, how do I find this EBCM unit? Would appreciate any additional location and pictures of the EBCM item?

thanks.