Windshield star repair

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Windshield star repair

Post by T.Low »

I have two small stars in my windshield. Small enough that I barely saw one while looking over the new van and didn't see the other.

Everyone and their brother is advertising star repair. Is there a better process and a less effective process? Do I need to specify one process over another?

Thanks for any help.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Ericglo
I am merely driving my van

Re: Windshield star repair

Post by Ericglo »

I did this for a living for close to nine years, so I might know a thing or two. :) I might be a little biased, but I owned a Superglass franchise. They were(are) consistently ahead of the curve when it comes to latest and greatest in windshield repair. Whoever you choose the process is pretty much the same. To do a repair, one pressurizes a resin into the damage and vacuums the air out. The differences are the quality of the resins used and the equipment doing the pressure/vacuum. Also, the skill and knowledge of the person doing the repair is important, but not as much the resin and equipment.
former 1996 Astro 2 wheel drive 225k miles totaled by a poor driver
now 2002 Safari 2 wheel drive 130k miles

Topic author
T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Ericglo wrote:I did this for a living for close to nine years, so I might know a thing or two. :) I might be a little biased, but I owned a Superglass franchise. They were(are) consistently ahead of the curve when it comes to latest and greatest in windshield repair. Whoever you choose the process is pretty much the same. To do a repair, one pressurizes a resin into the damage and vacuums the air out. The differences are the quality of the resins used and the equipment doing the pressure/vacuum. Also, the skill and knowledge of the person doing the repair is important, but not as much the resin and equipment.

Wow, awesome response, Ericglo.

What result should I expect? How visible will it be? They are so small now, they don't really bother me, its the threat of cracking I am really trying to prevent. Thanks again.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Ericglo

Post by Ericglo »

T.Low wrote:
Wow, awesome response, Ericglo.

What result should I expect? How visible will it be? They are so small now, they don't really bother me, its the threat of cracking I am really trying to prevent. Thanks again.
Yeah and ask me how many times I would repair a small crack only to have it break on me. :muhaha: It was always the small ones.

If the guy in Seattle is good, then it should be near invisible. The biggest reason for repair though is to have it not break out any further into a crack and I think Superglass puts a warranty on their repairs. To everyone, I wouldn't waste my time on crack repair. I tried doing it for awhile, but the results were always less than spectacular. If it is cracked, then just replace it. You might want to look into getting a new windshield anyway if yours is old and pitted. I haven't priced new glass, but hopefully it isn't to bad for an Astro.
former 1996 Astro 2 wheel drive 225k miles totaled by a poor driver
now 2002 Safari 2 wheel drive 130k miles

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Check with your insurance company. Here in Florida insurance companys are required to replace a defective windshield at no cost to the customer. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

I picked up a nice stone chip / small crack in my 98s windshield. I went with the place that offers the warranty. Cost me 60 bucks I think it was to have it repaired. The chip is still noticeable but they said if it starts to spread bring it back and I get a new windshield for free.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

i got a minor chip too recently, took it to a couple guys, they all said because it was in my dirrect line of vision they legally could not fix it, it had to be replaced. i thought what a line of bs so since it was so small i figured how bad can i really mess it up? bought one of the $20 kits thoroughly read the directions and bam you cant even tell its there, it had taken on a black effect around the chip, now thats even gone it looks like nothing ever happened. and its been about 4+ months now.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.