True Dual Exhaust/TBI

Manifolds, flexpipe, catalytic converters, mufflers, hangers, piping, EGR etc.

Topic author
GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

True Dual Exhaust/TBI

Post by GEJ »

I want to run true dual exhaust on Ole Yellar with my TBI 1996 350.How does it work for the O2 sensor and the computer?.

Thanks for your input in advance,

Gary
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: True Dual Exhaust/TBI

Post by BLAZER »

Gary, if your just going to swap in this V8 with no more major mods, I would swap over this whole exhaust system too. He has factory manifolds, but installed a high flow cat into a single flowmaster then dual tails out the back, similar to Peter's set up out the back. Not sure how loud when ya get on it, but it sounds pretty sweet as is. I would just swap it all for now and then you can change down the road. If your's is an EXT, then you might have to extend the tails out the back. You are looking for low end torque for pulling, the single exhaust will help ya in that dept over having full duals.

Hotroder383
I get chills without my van.

Post by Hotroder383 »

Gota agree, you wont see any performance gains by going true duel. Now you can make it work, with 2 O2 sensors and some computer work, dont know how much but I do know there are trucks that had/have true duels and duel o2 senors in them. But a stock engine I'd keep the manifolds going into a 3" pipe all the way back would be plenty, sound mean as hell an not be too loud.
93 GMC Safari SOLD stilll see her drivein around every so often =/

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

I think as long as you have an X or H pipe, you'll only need one O2. TBI and OBD1 systems aren't that picky. Just need to keep the O2 as close as possible to the manifolds so it gets hot enough to function, ulness it's a heated O2. I agree on the perfomance gains with duals. You will only see benifits at high RPM's.
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

I agree with installing the existing system. No need to reinvent the wheel. There's already a system that works. Use it. If O2 sensors become an issue you can drill and tap the exhaust manifolds in the collector area and install the sensors. I'm not too sure about the 3" pipes. That seems to be contrary to the building of bottom end torque.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

I'm not too sure about the 3" pipes. That seems to be contrary to the building of bottom end torque.
Skips correct on not using the 3in. for bottom end torque,,the larger you get the more your power is moved to the high side.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Thanks guys.Yep,now I remember not to go too big for torque.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.