Dex-crap settlement

Radiator, thermostat, water pump, antifreeze, etc.

Topic author
Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Dex-crap settlement

Post by Water Boy »

We are pleased to inform you that we have reached a tentative nationwide settlement with General Motors.

You will have the option to be included in the settlement if you incurred out-of-pocket expenses for any of the following repairs:

1. A replacement of the nylon/silicone lower intake manifold gasket, made within 7 years or 150,000 miles of the date of initial delivery for 1995-2003.5 Model Year vehicles with 3.1-liter V6 and 3.4-liter V6 engines, where the vehicle was originally equipped with Dex-Cool coolant.

2. A coolant sealability repair (including, but not limited to, throttle body gasket, upper intake manifold gasket, lower intake manifold gasket, etc.), made within 7 years or 150,000 miles of the date of initial delivery for 1995 - 2004 model year 3.8-liter V6 engines (RPO L36), where the vehicle was originally equipped with Dex-Cool coolant.

3. A Dex-Cool sludge repair, made within 7 years or 150,000 miles for 1995 - 2000 model year S/T light trucks and sport utility vehicles with 4.3-liter V6 engines and originally equipped with Dex-Cool coolant.

The settlement will require you to provide proof that you owned or leased the vehicle at the time of the repair and that you paid for one of the repairs described above. If you do not have a receipt, ask the auto repair shop that did the work to provide you with one.

The terms of the proposed settlement are confidential while we work to finalize the settlement papers for court approval. If the court preliminarily approves the settlement, the parties will publish, mail, and email a notice that describes the terms of the settlement and your legal rights. We hope to obtain court approval and get the notice out by February. At that time, we will be able to answer inquiries regarding the specifics of the settlement and how to file a claim. In the meantime, you should retain all receipts you have for repairs to your vehicle's cooling system. Also, if your mailing address, or your email address changes, please notify us by email.

Girard Gibbs llp
601 California Street, Suite 1400
San Francisco, CA 94108
Phone: (415) 981-4800
Fax: (415) 981-4846
http://www.girardgibbs.com
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Re: Dex-crap settlement

Post by Rebel »

Question,,,I have a 2001 Jimmy, 4.3 that I just replaced the intake gasket on,,how can I find out if it had Dex-Cool in it before it was changed out ?
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

I made the repairs myself. Guess I'm out of luck.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

If you have a buddy in the repair biz, he might write up a receipt.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

mikedamech
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by mikedamech »

Rebel wrote:If you have a buddy in the repair biz, he might write up a receipt.
But that would be dishonest.
98 Astro with a 95 LT1
94 Astro stock w/Flo master.

Hotroder383
I get chills without my van.

Post by Hotroder383 »

Sowas putting coolant in a car knowing it was crap. besides isnt your time and money for parts worth anything?? I dont really see this as dishonest as long you actually did the work. Would be different if you didnt have a car that was affected and got the moeny any way.
93 GMC Safari SOLD stilll see her drivein around every so often =/

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Not dishonest at all. If you know you did the work and that was the cause then why wouldn't you think it would be fair ? Now if the work wasn't done at all,,that's another story.
Now if I owned the shop you came to for a receipt, before I wrote you out one, I'd have to see your parts receipt.

VIDEO

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Hmmm thanks for the post. I am still running dexcool in my 97. This should be a sticky so inquiring minds can research a bit more.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Was this just an isolated settlement or was there something nationwide on coolant and gasket issues ?

VIDEO

visitor
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by visitor »

No Astros or Safaris are listed as "covered vehicles" @ girardgibbs.com/dexcool.html