V-8 Radiator. Help me Please

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
secrist
I am merely driving my van

V-8 Radiator. Help me Please

Post by secrist »

I need clarification on which radiator to use.

I have a 1992 safari cpi to v-8 conversion. Everything went smooth during the conversion and it runs great. The only issue I have is with the cooling. I am running a basiclly stock 5.7 (bored 30 over) block, a hi flow water pump, 180 deg hi flow thermostat, engine driven fan and what was supposed to be a heavy duty radiator (no name brand).
The problem is it runs at around 205 deg on the freeway without a load and it isnt even summer (southern california). It hasnt over heated yet but I know it will if I start towing. I plan on installing a heavy duty oilcooler but I dont think that will totally fix the problem. I have read just about every post cooling and there is alot of different ways to go. which would be the best for my set up? I would also like to upgrade to a performance computer prom. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jerry

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Re: V-8 Radiator. Help me Please

Post by SoCalli V8 »

A Fan-shroud is important also.... >do you have one?....> jus` curious?
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Something's wrong somewhere. You should easily be able to keep that engine cool with a stock rad at highway speeds, especially in cooler temps. Especially with an engine-driven cooling fan. A rad shroud is soooo important, but mostly for low-speed, stop'n go driving. Or when towing heavy loads. The fact that you overheat (or more precisely, run at higher temps) on the highway tells me that you either;

- Screwed up by using a reverse-rotation water pump on a standard belt-drive set up (you
wouldn't be the 1st)

- Somehow mucked up with the head gaskets and blocked a cooling port (buddy of mine did
that with his 454, drove him nuts...)

- You've got air trapped somewhere in the cooling circuit

Let us know what you find :supz:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Peter's right. But before you start changing things, try a different temp gauge. Preferably a mechanical gauge. Not an electrical gauge. It wouldn't be the first time the gauge was wrong or the sending unit was wrong.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

If your clutch fan does not spin (loudly) when you first start your van, it could be the problem. Note that centrifical fans don't do this, only thermals. Thermal is what you want. It should also get loud intermittently when the engine warms up, and stay loud when it is hot.

I concur on the shroud, it is of the utmost importance.

On the reverse rotation note, the fans are also cw and ccw. I can't remember which is which, though. It should be pulling air through the radiator (towards the back of the van), not blowing it out the front. I've done this once. ](*,) :rolleyes:

You might replace the thermostat just to be sure. I've had brand new ones that acted up.

zook94
I get chills without my van.

Post by zook94 »

Save yourself the headache, and get a Ford Taurus fan. Big old electric jobbie with a built in shroud, and has 2 speeds.

Sometimes when you get too wrapped up in high flow this and extra cooling that, the water doesn't have enough time in the radiator to even get cooled off. Put a standard 195 thermostat back in it, make sure that water is flowing through the system, and there is no air locked in there.
http://www.misfitoffroad.com

'93 EXT 2wd 5.0 (for now)

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Agree, put a mechanical gauge on it first to make sure your gauge is correct.
Fan shroud for sure and what is the desciption of your performance rad ?
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Rockwerx
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Rockwerx »

Check what the others have suggested like the rotation of the water pump and fan and also check your thermostat. If it is not cooling at 65 mph with no load then an electric fan will not help. Does it heat up when you are in stop and go traffic or heat up the faster you drive it?

Sounds like you will want to install a larger rad. You can take out the inserts on both sides of the factory rad. This will give you an idea how much wider you can go. A stock pickup rad from a 92 chevy will fit with a few modifications. Take some measurements and hit the autowreckers and see what you can find.
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1990 V8 Astro LT AWD Lifted
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel
1991 V6 Safari SLT AWD bad engine knock
19?? V6 Safari SLT for parts

Bikehauler
I am smitten with my van

Post by Bikehauler »

Canada Van had a similar problem.

CHECK the ROTATION of the FAN. Todd installed a 5 blade fan from a pickup truck. Problem was they spin the opposite direction of the stock fan. This meant that at certain speeds the fan would push air back out at the same speed it was trying to come in causing NO air to flow over the rad. A strange problem but really easy to overlook.
Rocke
No longer the proud owner of a.
1990 Astro Cargo shorty. 350 V8, roller cam, flat top pistons, roller rockers, tbi stage 2 chip, built 700r4 tranny. 3:42 open diff (3:73 posi waiting install). Now rollin on new 18's with 235/50 tires.

Delta B.C.
Canada EH!

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

From what vehicle is your V8 from?

I run a 180 stat and a V8 pick-up truck rad with a shroud with a 7 blade (Caprice Cop Car) engine driven fan, and my van never goes over 200f even when towing through the 120f desert out to the Colorado River.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Topic author
secrist

Post by secrist »

Wow thanks for all the replies

To do the conversion I used "Racecraft Conversions" manual and I followed it almost to a T. I used a Stewart Stage 1, cast iron high volume, 1987-95 5.7l water pump. I used the stock fan (could that be the problem?) with a heavy duty fan clutch. The fan is pulling the air the right direction through the radiator.The thermostat is a Mr Gasket, hi flow 180 deg. The block is from a 1994 1500 p/u. I do have a mechanical (auto meter) temp gauge installed in the thermostat housing. The housing is from an 80's van with a 454. It had the port for the temp gauge. The rad is what I think is a 3 core design. I got it from a local radiator place. They told me it was a heavy duty unit for my year van. I dont have a shroud. Is there one I can modify or should I just have one custom built? Or just go to electric. What would be the best for my set up? I have heard about the corvette rad. Has anyone done it? What year Taurus are you getting the fans from?

When driving the van watching the gauge, I can tell when the thermostat opens(right at 180). It will stay there for about 10 mins of continuous driving and will slowlly increase until it hits about 205. It stays fairly constant at 205. A few weeks ago it was very cold here in So Cal. I drove it to work on the freeway at night at around 75 mph. It stayed 180 until iI got to work (about 30 mi).

I will check for the other problems you guys suggested.

Thanks again
Jerry

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

A shroud will make a difference for sure. I wasn't running one either and went to two Flex-A-Lite pullers and all is well. I hit 210* and for this old school guy that's to hot but everyone says that's about right.
Are you running V belts, if not, you'll need the reverse flow pump.

Think Peter is running a modified Vette rad. You may hear from him on this.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
secrist

Post by secrist »

I was doing some research today... The stewart pump I used rotates counterclockwise. I used the stock acc drive that was on the van. What direction should it be turning? 92 safari w/cpi.

Jerry

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Go out and check!
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

I would have stayed with a double row. I went to a four row in my Cutlass and it actually made it worse in traffic. It increases the restriction on the air coming through. I'm running the stock H.D. rad in my 91 with the 350 0.20 over. It has a 190 thermostat, and two Spal 11 inch electric's with the PWM controller. So far only the one fan comes on and runs at low speed. The real test will be next summer with the A/C running and warmer temps. I have discovered that my factory gauge is off though.

I would also recomend the shroud and the vette rad.

Good luck....
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...