Astro did well off road,( that may not be good)

Topic author
T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Astro did well off road,( that may not be good)

Post by T.Low »

Fiancee called me at work around lunch, asked if I wanted to go out for a beer with the gang after work today. I told her to go on with out me, I drove the Van again today, have an afternoon job on the mountain and I'd like to take the long way home.

It was like a scene from the movie "Transformers", the Van seemd to know exactly where I wanted to go. No, it wasn't me, it was the Astro Van. It turned onto a one lane road that crosses a railroad track onto Nooksack Indian Tribe territory and almost immediately turns into a muddy rutted out two tracker. It'll be slick and greasey with todays rain. Whats to stop me from sliding sideways into the deep ruts? Solo. No recovery kit. Hell, no cell service. But I don't care, I got Rancho 9000s with adjustable indash remote! I load 'em up to 9 on the gage, both front and rear.

The Astro stopped on the flat shallow rutted area, so I got out and took a gratuitous picture.
shallow ruts on flat.jpg
shallow ruts on flat.jpg (60.8 KiB) Viewed 6758 times
We proceeded to the side sloping deeper ruts that don't afford the luxury of stopping to get out and take photos. I was timid, the Astro was not. It forged ahead confidently, staying securely on the high greasey line between the ruts, the Kelly Pathfinders not showing any signs of a struggle. "8.5 inches of clearence...8.5 inches" I heard echoing around in my head. Rounding a corner thru the trees and suddenly the two tracker turns into a killing field of ruts, 50' wide. So many lines, so many deep intimidating muddy ruts filled with water and no to time to kill the momentum, just drive. Again stayed high and dry.

A turn, some angles, tightens to a single truck track again, slopes to a nasty hole, complete with trees and bolders, then slows to rootball marking the rocky beach of the Nooksack River.
IMG_1657around the rootball.jpg
around & down.jpg

Wow. What the hell was I thinking?!! (Man, that was fun as hell, just like the old days!)
Last edited by T.Low on Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Topic author
T.Low

Re: Astro did well off road,( that may not be good)

Post by T.Low »

This part of the Nooksack is the take out for a class II section where we teach new kayakers. I drove my Dakota out here a few years back. Its still winter on the mountain so the river level is very low. The gage read 300 cfs today. I have paddled the river as low as 190 cfs, and as high as 4500 cfs. The guide book says 900 to 1200 is optimal, I think 2500 brings out its best features. Today, it makes a nice destination and photo back drop for the Astro you all helped me build.
by the river.jpg
looking downriver.jpg
Attachments
looking downriver.jpg
ImageImageImageImage

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

A few more.
Astro on the rocks, please.jpg
AWD.jpg
Astro @ Nooksack 16.jpg

Its 5:30. Raining. I still have to get out. Its slightly up hill, angled and rutted. Going around a turn she got crossed up, back end slid down into the one set of ruts so I put the front into another set of ruts to make sure I didn't high center, so we were dog tracking for about 50'. The Astro performed without protest, without struggle, and seemed to not stress at all. I was very impressed. OK, I was downright giddy.

Will go back and get vids sometime with buddys and there trucks.
ImageImageImageImage

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

AWESOME!
Giddy! Yeah I know the feeling...These AWD drives with a little lift are quite capable.
Thanks for sharing your mini adventure!
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Someone »

sweet shots :supz:
'98 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
'89 4Runner SAS'ed, 38.5SX's, Mercedes OM617 Turbo Diesel
'98 Suburban K2500, Cummins 24Valve, 5spd 4x4
'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

www.vehiclefleetsolutions.ca

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Great pictures and story!...... > even if I am of the lowered persuasion, I appreciate seeing members having fun with their StroFaris and modifying their vans to increase performance, and the "fun factor"......
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Even with the sucky day you picked to take pics, the scenery and truck are both beautiful. Kudos!
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

Uh oh after that now your gunna have to get some recovery gear and a second vehicle then push it to it's limits. Just so you know what they are :yawinkle: :muhaha:
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

It is amazing how well they do when lifted! I used to take the SPB out on my dad's farm and play in the clay cornfields and was always confident I wouldn't get stuck.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Awesome, looks fun indeed. :supz:
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

I'm surprised at how well even the 2WD Astros and Safaris can do in snow. We recently had 9 inches of snow here and I was wondering if the '89 would get me to work seeing how the city hadn't plowed the streets yet. But in short, my Astro climbed easily through anything that was on the road.
Can't say the same for my company 1 ton Dodge van, though. It got stuck twice just trying to get out of the company lot. Flat pavement, too-- all it had to do was break a path through the snow. It couldn't do it even when I shoveled the snow away from the wheels. One of my co-workers had to help push the van back into its parking space. I ended up transferring my tools and driving the Astro to the work site.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

T.Low! Looking good!
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

wish i had terrian like that near me

these van do pretty good stock too me and my old man have gone down roads only quads and serious jeepers would go down somehow never got stuck :supz:
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

BCSUVan
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by BCSUVan »

Sharp looking van!
99 4wd Astro LS Fully Loaded
Heavy Duty Tranny Cooler
K&N Air Filter
4-5" lift with 31" BFG All Terrains

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

BCSUVan wrote:Sharp looking van!

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Thats a beefy Astro there, BCSUVan! I'd like to check out the underside of that thing! I see you cut your front facia more than I did, and I think I'm gonna trim mine more too. Get to Bellingham often?

Yeah, I'm not sure it was a good thing that the Astro did well off road: now I want to drive off road just for the sake of driving off road where as before the intent was to get me to riding or paddling destinations.

I am actually thinking of missing the biggest race of the year in our town ( http://www.skitosea.org/ ) so I can join this drive with the Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures club. (Man, will my team be pissed, but I have a suitable replacement, so I have a clear conscience :muhaha: ). I'm not sure if my rig can handle it, and if I can prepare it in time.

If I get the 4:10's, (with locker or tru trac? ), and add solid recovery points and a CB...? What do you guys think? Is that biting off more than the Astro can chew? Should I definitely add a 2sd Transfer case first? Add the fact that I don't know these guys yet, it would be my first time on an outing with them...but its exactly the type of trip I want to do. Probably add trans cooler also (simple enough, so why not).
Hopefully the link works. The photo of the climb is a little intimidating (did they put it in the add to scare some peeps away?)

http://forum.pnwadventures.com/showthread.php?t=8469
ImageImageImageImage