Help with vacuum lines.

Topic author
canadavan
I get chills without my van.

Help with vacuum lines.

Post by canadavan »

Can you guys help me identify this stuff. This is on the firewall beside the brake vacuum booster:

What is this? One line comes from the vacuum bubble under the coolant overflow bottle. The other goes through this hole in the firewall. That end isn't plugged into anything. What is it supposed to be attached to?

There is also a capped tee in the line. Is this normal?

Finally, there is also a tee between the vacuum bubble and the cruise valve over the pass. side valve cover. Something else is supposed to be attached there but what? On mine the third leg of the tee is open. Your help is appreciated.[/img]
"Damn, youse funny lookin'..."

Todd
Former owner of the Rocket van - v8 powered 1990 Astro
Tall man, no van

Zaecobar
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by Zaecobar »

Thats odd, I have the same year ( Safari ) and I don't think I've ever seen those things from the first two pics..
Burn@Astrosafari.com
Dustin, 21
Area 16 Jacksonville, Fl
------------------------------------------------------------------------
1990 GMC Safari SL
V6 4.3L TBI vin-Z
358,XXX miles

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

On the first pic, that is an on/off solenoid vacuum switch.

One line is gonna come from a vacuum source and the other is gonna go to the component, cruise control maybe?
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Is the solenoid on the passenger side have a red and grey wire to it, and is near the ESC module and MAP sensor? If so it's probably the EGR solenoid, and the other side is how it "lets out" the vacuum. I beileve there's supposed to be a filter, but mine didn't have one so what do I know?

Topic author
canadavan

Post by canadavan »

Thanks for responding. The solenoid is next to the brake booster on the drivers side on the firewall. One hose runs from the vacuum "bubble" on the passenger's side and the one hose goes through the firewall and isn't attached to anything. It isn't the egr solenoid, mine is beside the throttle body (already been replaced). As far the cruise control, there is a different line running from the vacuum bubble through a tee to the cruise control already.

I'm assuming that this setup isn't stock?

If I ever meet the original owner of this van I think that I will punch them in the nose! )>)

Todd
Tall man, no van

Topic author
canadavan

Post by canadavan »

Ok so maybe this stuff is more of the aftermarket a/c conversion butchery that didn't work anyway. What lines should be connected to the vacuum tank? A source line from the engine, the line that feeds the cruise control, what else?

Todd
Tall man, no van

v8famvan
I sleep in my van

Post by v8famvan »

Todd,
That solenoid in that pic is an aftermarket one, as you suspected.
The factory vacuum lines went from the engine to a 1 way check valve tee. From there the 1 line went to the cruise control on one side & to a vacuum canister on the other. On it's way to the vacuum canister, it tees again going thru the firewall to the HVAC controls.
James from B.C.
1992 Safari - R.I.P.
GM Grand Master Techncian