LEAKS !

FROM STOCK TO WILD, BRAKE ISSUES AND UPGRADES GO HERE.

Topic author
ScottS
I finally get the smurf thing

LEAKS !

Post by ScottS »

Ok, I waas able to deal with replacing the rear brake line from the booster pump back to the rear axle. However I was unsuccesful in bleeding the brakes, so I sadi the heck with it and took it in to the dealer in town figuring they would have the correct equipment to bleed teh system.

Well, during the bleeding process the front brake line ( that runs around teh front of the van over to the passenger side) blew.

They want like $400 to replace it.

Oh and by teh way, the fuel ine is leaking, and that is not an easy fix because there is a special connector between the plastic lines from the module and the steel line that is leaking.

To top it off, they discovered the water pump is leaking!

So they estimated $2000 to fix all this stuff.

So I am bringing it home to fix this stuff myself.

Anyone know where to get pre-bent brake lines for our vans ? Or shoudl I just bend one up myself ?

Same with he fuel lines.
1998 Safari AWD NE OHIO
1995 Safari AWD

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Call the auto parts store on the brake lines, I bet you're gonna have to bend yourself however. The water pump is a $50 part, and the fuel lines are gonna be a pain in the butt. You may have to order them from the stealership.

ryanhettenbach
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by ryanhettenbach »

There are no pre-bent lines for the astro that i'm aware of. In the 2 years that i've owned my 1990, i have replaced EVERY brake line under the car. That's how it works, you fix one and then the next one breaks. Your best bet is to buy pre-flared straight lines from a NAPA. They're pretty cheap.
The front lines have a bunch of extra coils in them that make bending them yourself a pain. I used an empty coffee can that was about the right diameter to bend the coils. You may also need a short adapter line that will let you attach a "normal" brake line to the giant ABS block. (if it's a 1990 or later)
1989 Cargo 5spd. Fiberglass Roof.
2002 AWD LS, white

v8famvan
I sleep in my van

Post by v8famvan »

ScottS,
Take a look at http://www.fmsiinc.com/. You can probably find the fuel line fitting that you would need & they do sell their products through various aftermarket suppliers like NAPA. Maybe what you need is one of these?
As to the brake lines, I would recommend making your own with the pre-made lines that they sell. The various auto stores sell them in various lengths, ready to install.
James from B.C.
1992 Safari - R.I.P.
GM Grand Master Techncian

Topic author
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Yup that is the fitting- thanks !

Looks like I will be bending lines this weekend.
1998 Safari AWD NE OHIO
1995 Safari AWD

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

You'll be fine, Scott. It always looks more daunting than it is!
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by trybe13 »

peter wrote:You'll be fine, Scott. It always looks more daunting than it is!
Yeah, that's what you said at the start of my tranny swap!! :-s
90 Safari XT Hi Top
Lead guitarist for The Jericho Effect
Click the link to bang that head! http://www.ilike.com/artist/Trybe13

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

But Trybe, now you are becoming a wonderful technical poster.
O:)
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by trybe13 »

Thanks Jim!
Yeah, I learned a WHOLE lot more than just how to swap out a 700r4!! Just yanking Petey's chain. I wouldn't change my learning experience for anything.
90 Safari XT Hi Top

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

As annoying as the brake job on my wife's car has been, I have learned a lot as well. Wouldn't trade it either. I just wish I could have had it done before she left on her trip, but it won't be done until the weekend. (No comments Peter :-$
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

brianj
I am smitten with my van

Post by brianj »

I've used the brake lines that have a spring like coil swound around them. It makes them a lot easier to bend without kinking them.

Auto Zone doesn't sell them, and the guy there told me that I couldn't use them because the rust out, so be wary of that if you are in the rust belt.

I bought mine at a local joint called "Brake Materials Inc"

bri
2001 safari awd.
Hidden Hitch, Plate Tranny Cooler, computer tune-up via jet programmer.

located in Fort Wayne, Indiana

I have an uncanny ability to make my wife crazy, and I am not afraid to use it!

Topic author
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

I have found some very cool brake lines that are made of a special alloy that you can bend with your ands, but do not corrode. used by the Navy (wheres Capt Squid when we finally need him ?)

FEDHILL High Performance Alloy Brake Line is the answer. Seamless copper-nickel 90/10 alloy brake line is strong as steel, completely corrosion proof and much easier to work with. High performance manufacturers such as Aston Martin, Porsche, Volvo and Audi, have chosen to install 90/10 alloy over all other materials including stainless steel brake lines.

Its unique properties allow it to be snaked into positions that are impossible to do with steel brake line. Flares easier, minimum tube preparation required and no seam to split. 90/10 alloy brake line
seals better, making it the best choice for your installation!

http://www.fedhillusa.com/

My problem is is the fuel line. I have the nylon line coming from the fuel module, and the blue connector pictured above- what i need to replace is the STEEl line that plugs INTO the connector- this line must have a special end on it to fit in the connector, but I am having trouble finding a good picture or description. What I would like to do is splice a new end on the steel line (maybe 6-12") to get rid of my leak- does anyone know what I am talking about ?
1998 Safari AWD NE OHIO
1995 Safari AWD

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Scott , i don't know how much difference there is between your 96 & my 88 when it comes to fuel lines but mine were leaking because of rust . & all the connections where rubber line met metal line were so rusted that they were never coming apart . so what i did was gut all the fuel lines from the firewall back . I replaced them all with metal break line including the filter . it wasnt to bad of a job , just a little custom bending around where the fuel filter was . Then connected on both ends with a new rubber fuel line & some clamps . (at the tank & the firewall )

the reason for all this was no dealers here had any replacement lines because my van was to old they no longer stocked my parts .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

brianj
I am smitten with my van

Post by brianj »

skippy wrote: the reason for all this was no dealers here had any replacement lines because my van was to old they no longer stocked my parts .
Those bastards! They were just trying to sell you a new van. Good thing you didn't fall for their trap! [-X
Last edited by brianj on Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2001 safari awd.
Hidden Hitch, Plate Tranny Cooler, computer tune-up via jet programmer.

located in Fort Wayne, Indiana

I have an uncanny ability to make my wife crazy, and I am not afraid to use it!

trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by trybe13 »

90 Safari XT Hi Top