Camping noob needs suggestions / guidance

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

Topic author
astronut74
I sleep in my van

Re: Camping noob needs suggestions / guidance

Post by astronut74 »

small hand saw or axe for gathering firewood.... and if you have room, bring some firewood too, sometimes its scarce as everyone else likes a fire too...

for a 4 year old, you might make or buy something to put bugs in.... grass hoppers, fireflies, butterflies - when my son was that age, we made one using, window screen material and some plastic coolade containers, poked holes threw containers and used a needle and thread to attach one end of screeen and left the other loose so that he could remove it to put bugs, leaves, grass.. into it... kept him occupied...
That's some good ideas for my son, thanks!
Now, about the firewood issue... My sister told me that there are alot of campgrounds around Florida that will not allow you to have a camp fire, for fear of starting wildfires. Can someone comment on that? Sounds like this is something I'd have to call ahead on, I'd hate to go camping and not be allowed to have a campfire. Kinda takes all the fun out of it....
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

We have the no campfire rule up here in northern NY depending on weather conditions. If we have a real dry spell, the county will issue a no open burn ban and if the campground is in the area no fires allowed.

Definitely call ahead to the campground to find out.

As for cutting firewood at the campsite, you can as long as it's already down. Any campground we have ever been to will not allow cutting standing trees even if they are already dead.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote: As for cutting firewood at the campsite, you can as long as it's already down. .

Not always true!
I use to think that, until I was doing so in a North Carolina State park campground. #-o
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

dunedog wrote:
LiftedAWDAstro wrote: As for cutting firewood at the campsite, you can as long as it's already down. .

Not always true!
I use to think that, until I was doing so in a North Carolina State park campground. #-o

Yups - even if it is down you arent suppose to use it because it is suppose to be of biological life cycle ... something like 50 years to decay and during decay to provide food for insects and to still filter elements. Go figure eh?

Go camping in the woods more often >.< You only have to deal with the mountain lions and bears, much safer than Green Peace filled minded folks (not that I have anything against them since they stopped putting NAILS in trees).
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"