Attempted to replace front coil springs!

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
The Scotsquatch
I am smitten with my van

Attempted to replace front coil springs!

Post by The Scotsquatch »

I tried to replace the front coil springs. I had the front end dissassembled, had one coil spring out with a rented spring compressor...and then opened the box I got from NAPA...they were the wrong springs! The part number on the box was right, but the springs in the box had a smaller ID than the originals, were a smaller diameter, and even shorter than mine! The good thing is now I know the springs are OK...unloaded my springs are 15.5 inches...which is what the new ones were supposed to be.

So, a hand injury from a loaded spring THWACKING me with the lower control arm, a whole day wasted in the hot Florida sun, and nothing but a broken lug stud to show for it...GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

I guess I'll bring back the cheap NAPA shocks too, and order some heavy duty ones...maybe Ranchos.

I couldn't even install the shocks, since two lower bolts broke, and the hardware stores were closed by the time I had the front end reassembled...GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR again!

An Overland front end body lift spacer kit is looking better and better!

BUT!!! On the lighter side, the positive side, Brian's "Bright Side of Life"...lmao (gotta love Monty Python!)...I DID discover that my Astro has all new brake rotors, new pads, new calipers, new rear drums, new shoes and hardware, and all new brake lines. Some previous owner did all the brake work not very long ago! They did bypass the ABS system, so it has standard brakes, but its all good to me! I don't like ABS anyway!

Where the heck is the torsion bar adjusters on this thing? From all my reading, I thought even the 2WD versions had front torsion bars...is it just the 4WD versions that have torsion bars?

I know this a duplicate from another post, but I thought it needed its own thread.

Kev
Kevin Smith

Siege The Day!

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Attempted to replace front coil springs!

Post by potskie »

Only AWDs have torsion bars. If you had torsion bars your wouldn't have coil springs :yawinkle: Sounds like an eventful day tho. But that's how they always don't they LOL.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

Topic author
The Scotsquatch
I am smitten with my van

Thanks Potski! Now I know to look for alternative tire clearance methods.

Kev
Kevin Smith

Siege The Day!

Topic author
The Scotsquatch
I am smitten with my van

I put the new shocks in, and even though they are the regular NAPA/Monroe shocks, they did seem to restore the ride height to stock! With a tape measure, and by holding a freind's 235-70-R15 in place in the front wheel well, it looks like they will fit now!

So next week the new tires go on...yay! If I have any issues with rubbing after that, I'll look into a couple of different options: JC Whitney still stocks and sells 1 inch coil spring spacers...the polyurethane donuts that actually go in bottom of the coil springs, not the stupid twisty ones between the coils...and they are only 9 bucks each. Or Overland sells just the front body spacers, at 60 bucks for the 2 inch set. We'll see once the tires are on!

Kev
Kevin Smith

Siege The Day!

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

If it helps ya out any, my van had 235/70/15's on stock spoked wheels when I got it...no rubs at all. Of course I couldn't leave it alone and had to lift it so I could fit the 31's under it :supz: =D> With the 2" lift you could fit 235/75/15's easily

Topic author
The Scotsquatch
I am smitten with my van

235-70-R15s will be all I need for load capacity and whatnot, and they'll look good, but maybe someday I'll think about a lift and bigger tires...must be a guy thing...lol!

I would have loved a 4WD Astro, but stock they are a pain in the arse to tow...my dream tow vehicle would be a 4WD Astro, modified with a REAL transfer case that you can dissengage, so you only have to worry about the rear driveshaft disengagement...which a Remco driveline disconnect does beautifully.

Kev
Kevin Smith

Siege The Day!

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

BLAZER wrote:If it helps ya out any, my van had 235/70/15's on stock spoked wheels when I got it...no rubs at all. Of course I couldn't leave it alone and had to lift it so I could fit the 31's under it :supz: =D> With the 2" lift you could fit 235/75/15's easily
I have the 2" lift and have 30" BFG with very little alteration to the fender well.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box