New fuel pump installed, fixed hard start problem!

Topic author
The Scotsquatch
I am smitten with my van

New fuel pump installed, fixed hard start problem!

Post by The Scotsquatch »

I installed the new fuel pump yesterday, with the new fuel tank strainer (the old one was so varnished that you couldn't see daylight through it!)...and then my 91 Astro with TBI wouldn't start at all!

So I dropped the tank again, and with the wiring harness still connected, turned the key...no gas from the lines...wtf?

I figured, maybe the pump is defective? Its running, quietly, but no gas...hmmmm...could I have put the wiring harness connector on wrong?

YEP! I'm a dummass!...lmao!

I had the wires at the top reversed...so the pump was running BACKwards, and blowing bubbles into the tank...lol.

I reversed the harness, replaced the tank, turned the key, and...VROOM!!!

So now, instead of cranking for over 10 seconds before it starts, our Astro starts RIGHT up...and idles and runs smoothly.

And the new fuel pump is quiet...you can barely hear it, and our van is converted to cargo with no rear carpets...sweet!

But now the idle is too high...lmfao! I advanced the timing 3 degrees just to get it to run with the old pump, so I guess I have to bring it back to zero to bring it back to OEM specs...ah well! A project for tomorrow!

Kev
Kevin Smith

Siege The Day!

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: New fuel pump installed, fixed hard start problem!

Post by ihatemybike »

LOL, good to hear it's running better. I still need to get around to dropping Green's tank start and looking into replacing the pump only.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Cool, Its always good to get them running properly again :supz:

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

ihatemybike wrote:LOL, good to hear it's running better. I still need to get around to dropping Green's tank start and looking into replacing the pump only.
Are you going to be the first one to try doing an external pump? If so take lots of pics :)
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Topic author
The Scotsquatch
I am smitten with my van

External pumps suck...that is what I thought a previous owner did, since my old pump was so loud it sounded like it was sitting on top of the tank, pushing against the floorboards...lol.

I think what he meant was that he was going to replace just the pump, and not the whole sending unit with the pump installed already. Some in-tank pumps are an inseparable part of the sending unit. On Astros...at least older ones like our 91...you can replace just the pump, even though it mounts in the sending unit.

Kev
Kevin Smith

Siege The Day!

Topic author
The Scotsquatch
I am smitten with my van

It still starts hard though! Takes at least 20 seconds to start! Much better than before, but still!

If you don't depress the gas pedal, it will almost start after about 10 seconds of the starter turning. But it won't start unless you push the pedal down a bit! And even then, you have to give it gas to keep it running for a few seconds before it will idle without stalling.

Any ideas what is causing this? Once it warms up a bit, it runs beautifully without hesitation now, but a TBI shouldn't do that.

Any ideas?

Kev
Kevin Smith

Siege The Day!

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

Don't forget to change the external fuel filter. Mine is under the floorboard, driver's side forward of the rear wheel.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box