signal help needed - no longer urgent - fixed :)

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

signal help needed - no longer urgent - fixed :)

Post by crash »

edit: don't panic. with the help of the posts below.. problem is diagnosed and resolved! \:D/

it's so urgent because we are supposed to leave really early tmw morning for a road trip for the wknd. my signal lights on the 94 have gone wacky.

diagnosis and help would be soooo appreciated.

problem: first noticed signal flash was speeding up. initially thought it was a burnt out bulb. all bulbs are okay. then i tried signalling right... same deal starts flashing at normal rate by 3rd flash speeds up.

i mentioned to my fiance, we'll be fine if they are just flashing quicker as long as they don't go out. two flashes and poof!! nothing. left or right no flashing at all.

then on the way back home... started flashing again normal then speeded up .

1) if it's the flasher itself (which i think might be the case because it's happening whether left or right. where is it located on the 94? fuse panel?

2) if turns out not to be the flasher and is the entire turn stalk.. i need to know asap how to remove and replace.

thankfully i have the 93 i can swap parts if needed to try and reslove. i'm hoping they are the same between the two years..

thanks so much anyone that helps.

thanks again
Rob
Last edited by crash on Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

jakepatch
I get chills without my van.

Post by jakepatch »

Now keep in mind it's been over a year since I took the dash out of my 94, but I'm trying really hard to remember.
Typically, the flasher is on the fuse panel, but it seems to me the flasher on my 94 was on another panel, up under the dash right about where your gas pedal is.
The flasher would be my first guess, with your signals on you should be able to feel the flasher ticking.
Hopefully this helps some.
If it's the stalk, it's not as hard to remover as you might think, as long as you have the right tools to get behind the steering wheel.
Let's start with the flasher and go from there.
Hope to be vannin' again someday........

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

I could be wrong but I belive its your turn signal/flasher relay, Im almost positive someone asked this question a few weeks back and I believe
V8Famvan discussed this very tiopic

Topic author
crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

thanks guys.. going to search with a flashlight right now. you could very well be life savers! (at the very least trip savers) :mrgreen: i'll reply back shortly with my findings.. or lack thereof
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

Here's some info Frozzenastro posted at A.S...

You may also want to check your flashers as well. There are 2 on your vehicle. One on the fuse panel (hazard flasher) and the other is under the dash above and to the right of the gas pedal (turn signal) These are interchangable. Standard Part # is 552 If you do ANY towing whatsoever I would STRONGLY suggest replacing both flashers with a heavy duty flasher #536 or even
an electronic flasher. NAPA's line code & part# is LIT 50262-3 which will handle up to 12 flashing lights per side.

The important part here is that evidently the two flasher relays are interchangeable, so.... take them out and try them in the other one, you may be able to find out the problem by elimination?

Topic author
crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

you guys are ABSOLUTELY THE BEST!!!!!

that was the exact problem. found the signal one in the fuse panel, shut off the signals .. turned on the hazard lights and followed the clicking... found that one under the dash on the left side. pulled it .. plugged it in the turn signal location and VIOLA!!! \:D/

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT

trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by trybe13 »

Swap out the signal flasher for the hazard flasher. If the signal flasher works fine and the hazards go haywire you know for sure it's the signal flasher. They are under the left hand side of the dash. One is up higher than the other.
I replaced mine with the heavy duty flashers. It's not required but I like overkill when it comes to my ride.

If it is your turn signal stalk and you have a tilt steering wheel, put the wheel all the way down, put the drive indicator into your lowest gear, and pull the stalk free from the base. The wire lead runs down the steering column and into a module on the left side (Near you flasher units). Just unplug it. Tie a guitar string or fishing line around the end and pull it up through the column. Tie the guitar string onto the end of the new wire lead from your new stalk and pull it back down with the guitar string. Plug in the new stalk and the wire lead. (Make sure your steering wheel is still tilted and you are still in the low gear or the new stalk won't go in.)

If you need instructions on how to replace the the turn signal switch Image let me know. I've done that too.
Hope I've been a help and good luck!!
Later,
James

EDIT: Guess I replied too late. That's what I get for trying to post and cook pizza!!! #-o
90 Safari XT Hi Top
Lead guitarist for The Jericho Effect
Click the link to bang that head! http://www.ilike.com/artist/Trybe13

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

Not to worry trybe, your efforts are appreciated.

p.s , hows the pizza taste?? you do a little southwest flava flave on that :)

trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by trybe13 »

Taco pizza!! Hot and spicy!! Just the way I like it. Me and my 9 y/o are the only one's that will eat hot food. The rest of the family is so "Pennsylvania"!!! :D
90 Safari XT Hi Top

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

That's funny Trybe. I love strong tasting food (spicy, hot, flavorful) My wife likes bland. Justin seems to be taking after me, so she may be outvoted 2 to 1 soon :muhaha:
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

Gald your fixed for the trip.

As you guys mentioned part location...
then what is the round flasher that in in the spring clip above the e-brake on my 90?

brianj
I am smitten with my van

Post by brianj »

on topic:
I had a flasher in my 99 s10 do the exact same thing. Ended up it was the contacts. I took the flasher out, sanded the contacts, put on die-electic grease and was back in business.

off topic:
I grew up eating bland food (welcome to Indiana my friends). I am now a hot-sauce-aholic. I like a lot of flavor, but not burn. It's kind of funny, because my wife used to not like hot food either, but now she is used to it. I've gotten my cooking to where it's just on the edge of too hot for her, and is perfect for me once I add some more franks! We do have a pretty high hispanic population, so I can get some good stuff at the mexican groceries and restaurants around here!
2001 safari awd.
Hidden Hitch, Plate Tranny Cooler, computer tune-up via jet programmer.

located in Fort Wayne, Indiana

I have an uncanny ability to make my wife crazy, and I am not afraid to use it!

trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by trybe13 »

I'm not much of a hot sauce guy. I love salsas and chiles and jalapenos!! And man, some of the crap they were passing off as salsa back in Pennsylvania was a joke! It's GOOD to be back home!! My neighbor across the street just made me up a batch of green chilis and man oh man are they good!
90 Safari XT Hi Top

v8famvan
I sleep in my van

Post by v8famvan »

I miss one night for my son's hockey practice & I miss all this, & a few other lengthy posts.....
Good to hear you got it fixed. Remember K.I.S.S - keep it simple ...... :D
James from B.C.
1992 Safari - R.I.P.
GM Grand Master Techncian

Topic author
crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

very appreciated trybe. how about you mail me some of that pizza? lol sounds like i'd love it.. except for the next day. the older i get the worse my body processes the better tasting food. :-k

i think i'm going to order one of the ebay turnstalks .. i'll be looking to YOU mr trybe for a tutorial on this re & re when it arrives :D:

ps. i'm also hitting my parts store for a replacement flasher and a spare before i leave on the adventure

pss. can maybe one of you guys help me out with this search. i just looked and see ebay sellers listing up to 92. another for a 93 only. I don't see one for a 94. if anyone comes across one for my 94 could you shoot me a pm with the link.
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT