ANYTHING TO DO WITH SWAPPING A V8 OR DIESEL INTO THE ASTRO/SAFARI

Topic author
tonyrigatoni
I am merely driving my van

V8 Swap/Opinions

Post by tonyrigatoni »

Hi
I've searched the forums but can't locate the info I need. I've got a 92 AWD, sick engine (failed smog due to low compression) and looking to do a swap.
Other than different headers, motormounts, different oilpan (?) and ECU swap with a similar C-10 pickup, what kinds of hassles am I looking at when dealing with getting it smogged?

Anyone here from Beautiful Kalifornia had issues with getting their V8 smogged?

I could always take the easy way out and have a 4.3 installed but I plan on hauling a trailer later on and need the extra torque.

Thanks!

Tony Riggs

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Re: V8 Swap/Opinions

Post by Rebel »

Welcome to ASV's Tony,,,,check with Darren (SoCalliV8) he's from around LA and has posted info on this for you west coast guys. Good luck.
Wish I could help you but we're just learning what smog is here and along way off from regs. :muhaha:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

secrist

Post by secrist »

I got mine smogged without a problem. As long as you have all the smog equipment that came on the motor you are putting in. The smog refferee is no problem. If you have any problems let me know.

Jerry

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

I would recommed getting an engine, trans, wiring harness, ecm, radiator, fanshroud, exhaust manifolds, y-pipe plus all smog equipment from a TBI `90-94 pickup truck. This will make for the easiest V8 swap.

The engine swap law in KarliFornia is the motor must be the same year as the vehicle or newer, and retain all its smog equipment that must work, including the check engine light ( because they will test this )

You certainly can use a V8 Vortec motor, or an LS or LT motors, but these kinda swaps will involve much more work.

You can also mod the TBI motor for extra HP, or in my case I modded mine for extra towing torque. Port polish the heads, MSD, ram air intake, Edelbrock multi-port fi, headers.... etc etc.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc