Need help!! Pulley, belt noises

Topic author
snowy23
I am merely driving my van

Need help!! Pulley, belt noises

Post by snowy23 »

Hey folks, need a little help. Recently purchased a 91 awd astro with 208k. replaced the fan clutch , disconnected the front axle and she runs pretty good. I hear a rattlin noise coming from the front right side of the engine area. I think it's either the idler pulley and or the tensioner. Read some archive posts about changing the idler pulley and tensioner but none that seem to say it all How are these two items replaced and which one is reverse thread? Actually need the sequence for removal and installation. 5/8" wrench and lift the tensioner? Is there and easier way? Heard of replacing just the bearing of the tensioner , I think. Can do that as a low cost alternative to the whole tenioner. I will most likely do both along with the belt if I only understand how it's done. Soon to have manual 4x4 t-case. Thanks for any help.
Keith =P~

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Re: Need help!! Pulley, belt noises

Post by Moreforles »

seeing as you just got the van and most likely don't know what maintenance has been preformed, change the Tensioner now, might be time for it even if its not the problem right now.

If you still have the problem, look for another source.....
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

the tensioner, when you move it to slip the belt on, the oposite way should loosen the bolt, not sure which way, its been awhile since I changed one.....
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

Clamster

Post by Clamster »

When ya get the belt off spin the pulley by hand, if its sloppy and the cause, you can just change the bearing yourself. Pop it out with a punch its shot anyways. Tap the new one in with a piece of wood or brass drift. Both tensioners have the same bearing. At least on my 90 don't know aftr that. I paid $3.88 each at the local parts store. The whole tension arm was some 20 bucks.

SKF-6203 2RSJ also known as FM-203FF or to any bearing place if your parts store don't have it ask for a 203.
90 Astro CL Work Buggy

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

I use a modidfied mechanics stethoscope with a 10 length of brake line fitted, for listening to noisy bearings.

For your problem because of the squeeking and milage, I would replace the whole tensioner as preventative maintenence.

Replace the belt also with a high quality part "Gates" is what I would recommend.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

You also might check the steering pump and make sure bolts and bracket are tight. If the pump bolts back out or bracket is broken around pump area you will hear a rattle from that area.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

I'm still waiting for someone to comment on the disconecting the front axle. I know that's no big deal on a 4WD but thought it was a "no-no" on an AWD ???????
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

Clamster

Post by Clamster »

Snowy23--Here is a good site for basic "How To's" on about everything. Info on your tensioner here.
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/09 ... oPages.htm :supz:
90 Astro CL Work Buggy

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

If you are gonna replace the s-belt, use a Goodyear Gatorback.
I've done 4 and they all have been quiet.
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.