Steering Issues

ANYTHING TO DO WITH STEERING, FROM STOCK TO RACK AND PINION UPGRADES

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Steering Issues

Post by thevalleyboy »

Okay so I want to know what people think of my dilemma - my Astro's steering seems to be a little loose and sometimes doesn't want to return to centre, sometime is pulls - one minute to the right - next to the left. I've greased up everything down below - nothing looks shot - idlers have a little play but within spec. Its always there, it’s just a little dodgy....

So I am thinking I should do a steering fluid flush, and then check it out. Does any of this sound familiar? Maybe a shot power steering box? Just trying to do everything I can before I go to the extreme and replace tie-rods, idlers, ball joints, get an allignment, and all that - I figure if I am going to get into it - might as well do it all....
2001 Astro LT AWD - SOLD @ 180,200KM
Now I got a 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4 x 4
to pull a Hybrid RV - 2006 Kodiak 235
Calgary, Alberta

skippy
I sleep in my van

Re: Steering Issues

Post by skippy »

sounds like your steering box is shot . time to replace it . if you can find one , a box from an astro RS or a safari GT would be a great find as they are a quicker steering ratio . or even better , throw in a rack like smiliesafari did or Rebels doing now .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

My rack is done and was going to say you could have my gear box but after looking where you are and the year, won't work. Sorry
Last edited by Rebel on Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

Any body know if these Vans have speed sensitive steering? Maybe I've got a shot sensor...

I found the following quote on another GM repair site....
My guess is that 95 through current models have the steering sensor, but don't know for sure.

If you do have a bad steering sensor and are mechanically inclined you can buy and replace the part yourself. The list price is $59.65 but you can get it for $34 at GMpartsdirect.com. The part is called a Steering Position Sensor and the part number is 26064468. At the dealer I was told it would take about 1 1/2 hours and be like $130+ for labor, plus the $59.65 for the part.
Just thinking out loud - thinking of everything I can
Calgary, Alberta

1996astro
I get chills without my van.

Post by 1996astro »

Yes the vans do have steering wheel position sensor. I believe it to be 95 or 96 to the end 05. Sounds to me more like an idler arm issue. These things eat them for beakfast, lunch, and dinner.... Could be wrong though. I put idlers on about every year on my 96. Gotta love TRW cheap with lifetime warranty.
Brandon
Bay City, MI

1997 Astro LT 4x4 48,000 Miles,
Custom Lift: 3" body spacers, torsion keys,
4" leaf spring relocation mounts (by ME),
added a leaf spring from a 94 S10 blazer.
All this gives me 5-6 inches of lift.
General Grabber AT2 31X10.50R15
Custom fit Brush guard
Western 7' 6" plow pictures coming soon...
1997 Buick Century 198,000 miles

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

Okay - so took the van out for a little drive last night - and I decided again after looking that the linkages all look okay. So I am going to try the steering fluid flush - I did a little searching on the forum and if anyone can point me to some better direction for performing a flush that would be great. I saw a previous post in which Peter suggested removing the return line
Do a flush. The best way is to keep filling the reservoir while allowing the return pipe from the steering box to dump into a container, all the while turning the wheels left to right while the front tires are mostly off the ground.
But does anyone have any pictures of this? I'll have to pull the crappy chilton/hayes guide I have at home out and see if it has any direction. Not to mention I assume you do this with the wheels up - turning gently - and with the motor NOT started - to avoid nasty pressure....
Calgary, Alberta

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

All right this is happening this weekend - so help with the return line would be appreciated. Otherwise I'll make a stab at it blind... Is it the return line to the box from the pump - or return to the reservoir - I assume the box...
Calgary, Alberta

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

Ya I'd like to know this as well. My fluid is smelling a bit burnt and looking nasty so I wanna flush it to find out if it's due to age or a bad pump.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

Okay I jacked it up tonight and thought lets see if I can move the tires easy.... NOPE - does anyone know if I can disconnect the pitman arm and see if everything moves easy? I guess that would narrow it down to the linkages or the steering box wouldn't it? If it moves easy after the pitman arm is disconnected then if has to be the box right?
Calgary, Alberta

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

Alright - Pitman arm is disconnected and the steering wheel is smooth and easy to move side to side. So guess that means I need to go next to the tie-rod and disconnect them - so I can see if one of the ball joints are screwed - I cannot imagine it is anything else in the linkages....

I'll go get the camera to take a photo or two - and by all means please share your thoughts....
Calgary, Alberta

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

You're doing just fine. A systematic elimination of good parts will get you there. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

Does anyone have a service manual with the torque specifications for the drag link - that POS Haynes manual I have of course doesn't have any AWD specific information.... while I'm at it how about the tie-rod end - they are up next... at least I can torque them to the same spec as the 2wd and I have a number to at least be in the ball park from the Haynes manual...

I really need to find me a 2001 service manual....
Calgary, Alberta

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Have you tried tightening your steering box yet?

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

I've never flushed my power steering unit. I keep reading conflicting information if it really needs it or not. Seems like it would be really easy. I did it once years ago to an 1988 Olds and other than a little messy, it worked perfect. Again, I'm not sure if it really helped anything.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

canadavan
I get chills without my van.

Post by canadavan »

Check the universal joint on the intermediate shaft. Mine was seized and the wheel wouldn't return to centre on its own.
"Damn, youse funny lookin'..."

Todd
Former owner of the Rocket van - v8 powered 1990 Astro
Tall man, no van