Tire choice at stock height...

HAVE A TIRE QUESTION? LIKE YOUR TIRES AND WANT TO LET EVERYONE KNOW? NEED TO KNOW IF THEY WILL FIT? POST IT HERE.

Tire Size options...

P215/75-15 (stock)
8%
P225/75-15
12%
P235/75-15
15%
P235/70-15
27%
P245/60-15
23%
What the hell....get new wheels too man!
15%

Total votes: 26

The Scotsquatch
I am smitten with my van

Re: Tire choice at stock height...

Post by The Scotsquatch »

Thanks for the advice, GEJ!

The cases I use are stackable, but they are file type cases, square and stackable and fill the back of the van, with no space between them, like bricks...lol.

I'm Hurculining the whole cargo area though to keep it looking nice.

I'm even going to find a rear seat at a junkyard, and chop it down to a one person jump seat so my apprentice Rick can go with us on supply runs, but the seat will be small so it can be packed easily...I'm trying to figure out a way to make it foldable...lol.

Kev
Kevin Smith

Siege The Day!

The Scotsquatch
I am smitten with my van

We put on the new tires today! Huzzah!!!

235-70-R15s. Cooper Discovery dual purpose truck tires...451.00 out the door. I was going to put on Goodyear Tracker 2 tires in the same size at Walmart, but Walmart wouldn't put that size on my Astro since they are bigger than stock...so I waited in line for 2 hours until they finally told me that...idiots! They said they could only put tires on that were specified for the vehicle, which would be tiny 205-75-R15s...no thanks! We load this vehicle down, and bring it down a lot of dirt roads...I needed bigger tires with a greater load capacity and a more aggressive tread pattern. I told them I would sign a waver, but they said no dice...ah well! I love the Coopers!

So I took it down to Gator Tires in Clermont, Florida, and they sold me 4 Coopers for less than the Wallyworld tires, and they are a better tire with a better tread (better off road traction, a quieter road ride, and a 60k warranty as opposed to 50k from wallyworld). The 451.00 price included mounting, balancing, disposal of the old tires, new valve stems, tax, and road hazard. Wallyworld wanted 467.00 for all of the above, but that price was before taxes, so I made out. Then I went down to a used tire place and got a decent 235-70-R15 tire as a spare for our extra fullsize rim for 35 bucks mounted and balanced...we can't use a donut when the van is loaded down.

Gator tire even checked my alignment for free, although they charge for actually aligning it...and they said it was dead on! Yay!

Another thing that Gator tire told me is this, and its not only disturbing, it was the deciding factor in what tires I bought: There are only TWO major tire manufacturers left that make all of their tires in the USA...Goodyear, and Cooper. That's it! Now, this shop sells Goodyear, Cooper, Michelin, Firestone, Kelly, etc...so they aren't biased, but that is what they told me...only Goodyear and Cooper still make all of their tires in the United States...every other major tire company, even BF Goodrich, are farming out the work to other countries and importing most of their tires! Since I will only buy American whenever possible, that narrows my choices down to Cooper and Goodyear.

Anyhow, before I go off on a tangent about imports...lol...I took the new 235-70-R15s on a long road ride, and they ride awesome! I even did some hard braking at full steering wheel lock in a parking lot, and there is no rubbing whatsoever...yippee!!!

Then of course I had to fix another broken stud on a front wheel...the tire shop said it snapped when they took it off, and I believe them, since one snapped on ME when I took it off without an air tool...so I got another one and installed it.

I had them installed white letters out, and with the rally spoke rims I just painted white, they look awesome on the van! I am very happy with them, and the appearance. And the ride really is awesome!

I'll post pics as soon as I find my camera cable!!!

Kev
Kevin Smith

Siege The Day!

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

Sounds good. I have been seriously considering putting LT235's on my RWD. Nicer for towing the trailer I am sure. I have a lug bolt to replace as well on the front passenger's side. Got the bolt, just need to find the time. I have heard everything from easy job to I have to take the whole assembly off to get out the old one. Either way I don't have time right now, not to mention the weather is wet and chilly, not fun to work in outside.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

Can't wait to see pics.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

Yeah pics please!
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

Back to your question on the 2" OV lift,...yes,it is something you should be able to install in a day. Not a long one either!
However, you will need to have the van realigned.

....those white panels you refer to, are called FRP panels (fiberglass/resin/panel)..... \:D/
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

The Scotsquatch
I am smitten with my van

Riley's Owner,

The front studs are actually a breeze to replace, at least on a 91...you just jack it up and put it on jack stands, take a hammer and whack the old stud until it falls inside the brake rotor...you can fish it out with your fingers, and then push in the new one from the back side. Get a lug nut on it (backwards...so the flat of the nut is against the rotor), and tighten it down...once it gets really snug, get a box end wrench on it and keep smacking the side of the wrench with a hammer...it will draw the new lug stud right into place without having to remove the rotor! I did it twice, and it takes about 10 minutes or less each.

Kev
Kevin Smith

Siege The Day!