Lift gate light.

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
DON
I am smitten with my van

Lift gate light.

Post by DON »

Doesn't the lift gate have a switch that turns on the rear light on the newer (02) vans. If it is where is it and why don't it work

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Lift gate light.

Post by CaptSquid »

Actually, all years did, but they turned on the dome lights for the entire van, not just the rear.

The switches are located on the lift struts near the body. On mine (a 92), the left one controls the dome lights and the right one controls the locking solenoid. Look for the wires. I believe that yours has only one switch on the right, but don't quote me. Sadly, GM only sells the entire strut for about $60 each and the switch isn't available separately.

My solution? I installed a toggle switch in the rear A/C duct. The only drawback is that I forget sometimes to turn off the lights. Maybe a refrigerator light switch could work??
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

Topic author
DON
I am smitten with my van

Re: Lift gate light.

Post by DON »

Mike- My last 3 vans were that way.I wondered on my 02 ,I bought it with 20,000 on the odom. I know those things don't last very long But I figure that it was original. Maybe the switch inside broke before the hydraulics fail. Be a first for me.Will talk to my friendly service adviser.