Strange vibration

ANYTHING TO DO WITH MAKING YOUR VAN MOVE EXCEPT FOR THE ENGINE ITSELF.

Topic author
Pipeliner_86
I am merely driving my van

Strange vibration

Post by Pipeliner_86 »

I am having problems sourcing out an odd driveline vibration. It acts like a u-joint problem, but I cant find any bad u-joints in my (97 AWD) driveline.

The vibration shows up at the speeds of 55-70, only when there is some load on the driveline. If I am driving at a constant speed, no vib. If I lightly accelerate, without loading the engine, there's not much evidence of the vib., but if I push the pedal a little more and load the engine, without downshifting I get the vib. Also vibration when I let off the pedal. This is only noticeable at the speeds of 55-70.

This leads me to believe a u-joint prob, but I cant find any loose, or worn u-joints. There is a little play in the drive shafts at the transfercase, but not anymore than any other 4x4 I've ever owned. I am wondering if the front or rear gearsets are the culprit. Or maybe the transfercase has bearings starting to wear or some other problem. :-k

Any input or ideas will help.

Thanks
Jeremy
______
1997 Astro AWD
Explorer conversion package
133,000 miles
K&N filter

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Strange vibration

Post by dunedog »

the best way to check the driveshaft u-joints is to remove it.It is sometimes very hard to detect with the shaft in place.
Your driveshaft my be a little out of balance. Check it visually to make sure it hasn't been hit,dented or thrown a weight.
That is where I would start before going into tail shaft bushing etc.
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Does the vibration occur when you drop the van into 3rd at those speeds? Does it still do it if you accelerate hard at those speeds? if not, I would start by looking at the engine. :yikes: It sounds like you may be starting to show signs of a misfire under light loads. If the vibration is there all the time, now it is time to look at the u-joints very carefully. You must remove the drive shafts in order to check the joints. If the joint is seized, you won't be able to tell just by looking and checking for play.

If they all check out good, replace the transfer case tail shaft bushing and seal. I chased an annoying vibration for 2 years before swapping those out. Once I did the vibration was gone 100%. It was also in the 55-65 mph range.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

I had two broken teeth in my pinion gear and it only vibrated at 55 MPH. The guy that replaced the gear said the harmonics come together at 55 and that's why I noticed the vibration at that speed. Hope yours isn't as serious.
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

Topic author
Pipeliner_86

Post by Pipeliner_86 »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:Does the vibration occur when you drop the van into 3rd at those speeds? Does it still do it if you accelerate hard at those speeds? if not, I would start by looking at the engine. :yikes: It sounds like you may be starting to show signs of a misfire under light loads. If the vibration is there all the time, now it is time to look at the u-joints very carefully. You must remove the drive shafts in order to check the joints. If the joint is seized, you won't be able to tell just by looking and checking for play.

If they all check out good, replace the transfer case tail shaft bushing and seal. I chased an annoying vibration for 2 years before swapping those out. Once I did the vibration was gone 100%. It was also in the 55-65 mph range.
Do you think the engine misfire could still be the culprit, even though I get the vibration when decelerating at those speeds.
Jeremy
______
1997 Astro AWD
Explorer conversion package
133,000 miles
K&N filter

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Probably not the cause. Did you remove the drive shafts to check the u-joints?
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

VanGoGo
I get chills without my van.

Post by VanGoGo »

I just bought an Astro, and did my first 200 mile trip today, and notice a similiar vibration. Mine seems to also be affected by the road surface, it kind of 'magnifies' certain bumps in the road. On a smooth surface the van is quiet, on pavement with more wear (and semi truck grooves) I would get an almost 'bouncing' feel in the front. I have brand new Nokian tires, new rear end, Im going to look closer at my shocks...and something I suspected while driving was tranny or motor mounts...very hard to describe the vibration, I will post my findings later.

v
"BOYCOTT AUTOZONE!"

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

See if the idler arms are wore out. They throw a deceptive vibe...
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.