LT1 SWAP

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

mattconrad
I am smitten with my van

Re: LT1 SWAP

Post by mattconrad »

HPbyStan, the old site archives are up now. i do not recall ever seeing your swap documented but sure would like to as there is not a whole lot of info on this and i want to do this swap? Is there any way to find it or recover it

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

Matt, one of the regulars on the old board hosted the pics and put a link up. I don't know how this stuff works but maybe it was costing him coin to keep it on there and he quit. Like I say, I don't understand the plan. BTW, also on that thread was the S10 gauge adaption with 4 cyl tach for the LS1 Astro swap. I was hoping someone would remember who hosted it so we could see if it still exists.
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

mikedamech
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by mikedamech »

Well I started the van today, just for a few seconds and it sounded quiet considering the headers. I have to bleed the brakes, do the radiator, fans, ABS, make the wires look invisible.
98 Astro with a 95 LT1
94 Astro stock w/Flo master.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Just the fact you started it is encouraging :supz:

Don't be in a rush to zip-tie everything in place all neat-like (though I commend your analizm... :D ?) Make sure everything works first. Otherwise, it's demoralizing when you have to start un-taping/cutting ties to get back in there.
Of course, the lack of any pics brings you dangerously close to being dismissed from this site [-X
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

mikedamech

Post by mikedamech »

Well the good news is, I have pictures, just don't know how to post them. I know I can just haven't tried. I'm pretty sure I won't have reverse lights because the Caprice had the park neutral switch on the collom and the Astro on the tranny. My oil pressure and fuel gauge peg but I'll see what I can do about that today. I'm in utter shock that it runs as well as it is and thanks Pete.
98 Astro with a 95 LT1

mikedamech

Post by mikedamech »

Hey all, I have a weird one. when I turn off the ign. switch the engine keeps running. I have a fuse panel for the injectors and it is powered up with a wire that gets power only when the ign switch is on run and start. I pull the injector fuses to shut it off, while running with the key off the wire going to the injector fuses pulses and it doesn't run that well like running out of fuel but won't die. Has anyone ran into this with there swap?
98 Astro with a 95 LT1

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Check for fuel-inj. output voltage when the key is off. Is it possible that the engine's dieseling. If your idle is too high and timing advanced, dieseling becomes easier to provoke.
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

mikedamech wrote:Well the good news is, I have pictures, just don't know how to post them. I know I can just haven't tried.
Mike, heres's the how to...viewtopic.php?f=16&t=210

mikedamech

Post by mikedamech »

Thanks Zam man, as far as the advance the 95 LT1 has no adjustment. I think I have Batt. voltage where Ign. volts go, I was just wondering if its a swap thing.
98 Astro with a 95 LT1

mikedamech

Post by mikedamech »

OK, the reason it wouldn't shut down with the key switch is 2 wires going to the Computer were getting volts only when the key is on run and start instead of battery volts always. Which is weird because I was expecting the other way around. So Now wire up the fans and get it going.
98 Astro with a 95 LT1

mikedamech

Post by mikedamech »

The returning saga of the swap. I drove the van today, it wouldn't start off in first gear and if I go to low 1 it seams to be in 2nd. The tranny on the astro has the transmission position switch on the tranny, the Caprice has it on the column so I don't have a PNP. Help! Oh and no Oil gauge, Speed-O, or fuel gauge.
98 Astro with a 95 LT1

mikedamech

Post by mikedamech »

Hey everybody, I need a factory service manual for a 95 Chevy caprice and a 98 Astro, Mainly for the electrical wiring.
98 Astro with a 95 LT1

mikedamech

Post by mikedamech »

I may have found the problem with the shifting. I pulled the harness connector off the tranny and it has some fluid on it. I was checking to see if the wire that supplied power to the solenoids was hot and it wasn't but the one for the A shift solenoid did. I unplugged the computer connector to do a resistance reading on that wire and all wires had a resistance reading. I slid the wire from the connector at the tranny and wiped it off and still all the pins show resistance. I traced all the wires so me checking the wrong wire is not the problem.
98 Astro with a 95 LT1

mikedamech

Post by mikedamech »

A couple more Questions for the LT1 swap crowd, on the 98 Astro C100 connector on the firewall there are 2 VSS wires, a dk green one circuit 389 and a dk green/white circuit 817. witch one goes to the speedo. The Astro has a VSS signal wire coming from the ABS controller, yellow/blk circuit 1827 going to the ECM but the Caprice ECM doesn't use this circuit. What do I do with these wires?
98 Astro with a 95 LT1

wagonmaster

Post by wagonmaster »

Sounds like you won't have anti lock brakes, for one thing...
Joe

Freedom isn't Free!
My cars/trucks and bikes on http://www.picturetrail.com/wagonmaster55