Dafrogtoad's engine thread

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

They do not.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

OK, thanx for that "in-depth" response :yawinkle: but didn't Darren fit a full-size rad into his v-8ed truck even before swapping in the later model front end?
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

dafrogtoad
I get chills without my van.

Post by dafrogtoad »

I'm watching this to see what the gurus have to say on the matter. My heads are being worked, still waiting for everything to get done so I can start...
Please continue....radiators?

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

peter wrote:OK, thanx for that "in-depth" response :yawinkle: but didn't Darren fit a full-size rad into his v-8ed truck even before swapping in the later model front end?
I just answered the question, that's all. They are not interchangable. The 95+ are larger in both width and height. The 95+ also mounts at the bottom using "legs" that fit into pedestals on the frame. Older ones do not. That being said, you can fit a lot of rads in our vans if you are willing and able to modify and fabricate to fit. Yes, Darren has a full size truck radiator that he "made" fit. I don't believe he has ever posted what exactly he did to make it fit.

dafrogtoad

Re: Dafrogtoad's engine thread

Post by dafrogtoad »

For those who may have been watching..
The engine is now in and has 1K miles on it.
I have a valve lash tap..I have messed with it and have given up, it will be going to the shop in mid feb. It's not a horrible tap, enough just to hear, but i would like to get it GONE.
I have since installed a Spekter 4 in aluminum plenum because the stock air cleaner (even w/o the airbox setup which went bye-bye during the swap) was a real PITA to get to. Now I have a K&N style cone filter sticking out between the tensioner and the upper rad hose. nothing touches and it looks/sounds great!
I ordered a TBI that's bored and has the tops of the venturi cut off and smoothed. I ordered one because I wanted the mods and a new TBI. I will be installing a spacer between the TBI and it's fuel reg.
I have an Automotive fuel reg and on the next rainy day will be going to the speed shop to get all the AN fittings to install it. HOPEFULLY this will be all I have to do to get the poor van to NOT fall on it's face when I stomp it.
The Alpine is most likely the next project. I looked at the stock stereo location while hooking up something else and man, it's WAY to shallow. I don't like a radio just sticking out like that saying "steal me!" At this moment I'm thinking about a custom overhead location like I had in an older p/u many years ago. I have not seen anything like that for sale for the Astro, so it looks like i'll have to make it. Anyone here ever done something like that? Also, looking at that stock radio location, it occurs to me that that location would be PERFECT for a couple guages. Anyone tried that?
350 hp full roller SBC
Vortec iron heads
Modded TBI, 65 inj. Aeromotove Fuel reg. Speckter/K&N filter
4 core rad. Stewart WP
Heddmans, Dynomax Ultra Flo X
Tach
Alpine
Lund Moon Visor

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

Good to see your thread make it here.Keep the posts coming.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

dafrogtoad

Post by dafrogtoad »

Has anyone ever done an overhead console for stereo or a CB?
350 hp full roller SBC
Vortec iron heads
Modded TBI, 65 inj. Aeromotove Fuel reg. Speckter/K&N filter
4 core rad. Stewart WP
Heddmans, Dynomax Ultra Flo X
Tach
Alpine
Lund Moon Visor