driver window won't go up!!!

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

DON
I am smitten with my van

Re: driver window won't go up!!!

Post by DON »

I switch motors on mine last spring and it lasted for all of 1 month. Went a whole year without it and finally decided that I need to fix it. I took the panel of wiggled the wire and presto,it worked. Sent the window up and down a couple of times and it stopped working. Wiggled the connection again and it works great. Seems i have a bum connection on the back of the motor. I;ll be darned if I 'm going to take the motor out for that.

betz
I get chills without my van.

Post by betz »

Once I replaced the window motor on my '96 astro (actually, I think this was the second time). Anyhow, it is a really tight fit to work on the innards of the door. So...I ended up kind of pinching a wire in there without knowing it. Well, it all worked just fine for a long time, until I was headed up north around midnight near the end of summer (which means it was starting to get really cold at night). I crossed the mackinaw bridge and rolled down my window to pay the toll. As I pulled away from the toll booth, I pushed the button to roll the window up, and it didn't go...and I lost my radio, some dash lights, and my heater blower fan! Well, I always tried to "be prepared" everywhere I went. LOL, I had a toolbox with enough spare wire and tools to re-wire my entire stereo system. Anyhow, I pulled into a Burger King lot that had some nice lights on outside. I didn't know at the time that the wire was pinched, so I popped the panel off of the door, took some wire, ran it from the battery to the window motor, and made the window go up! Then I turned my heat on and hardwired from my battery to my blower motor. Closed the hood, and I was on my way! Well, around 1am it started to get really hot in the van, and I couldn't just turn off the heat. So, I leaned back, opened the rear window, and drove as fast as I could to keep my adrenaline going to keep me awake (yup, she only goes 100mph, then the engine cuts out). Anyhow, the next day I examined the problem, saw that the pinched wire wore through and shorted on the door. So, I fixed it and no more problem.

Anyhow, moral of the story: be careful not to let any wires get pinched while replacing the window motor.
2005 Chevy Astro AWD 108,000
4" lift from Overland Vans w/Rancho 5000's
Belltech Rear Anti-Sway bar (mounted on top of axle)
BFG AT KO 255 70 16

Rear Belltech Sway bar
BFG ATs and spots that required trimming to make 'em fit

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Eh? Moral of the story is to get the speed limiter off ... you know she got want more to go before it really cuts off!!! :canuk:
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Topic author
crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

new motor arrives tomorrow. it finally gave up today. again lucky i got the window closed (after an hour of messing with it) before the it poured out here.

oh.. and reason for initial sticking, then random clunking.... two of the rivets (on the bottom) broke and only the top was holding the motor in place. it would shift with each up and down movement. eventually putting so much strain and force on the motor.. it doesn't want to do it anymore.
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Topic author
crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

new motor is in and it works flawlessly \:D/

not sure if i installded correctly all textbook like. but I jammed a long piece of 2 x 3 up into the door to hold the window up as I drilled out the last two rivets. seemed to me that it would fall if not wedged up somehow.

longest part of the job was looking for one small nut that i dropped into the bottom of the door :rolleyes:

other than that it was pretty easy. only thing that would have made it easier is if my hands were the size of a 5yr old as there is virtually no room at all in there.
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

Where did you get your motor Rob?
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

OK guys, here's the skinny on the thermal overload devise. There is one. It's located in the plastic end piece on the motor. It's the piece that connects the brush holders. The repair is very easy. So easy that it takes less time than going to the store and purchasing a new motor. Carefully bend the tabs that hold the end piece out of the way. There's three of them. Pull the end piece out of the motor housing. Be alert as the brushes and their springs will want to jump out and disappear. Now look at he brush holders. The thermal devise is the piece that is soldered between the holders. Unsolder that piece and solder a short piece of wire in its place. I use #18 or better. The hardest part is, now you have to put it all back together. Holding the brushes and their springs in place while putting them back on the armature can be a task. I've done several and all of the window motors work great. Even better than with the thermal devise in place.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

Rileysowner wrote:Where did you get your motor Rob?
crash wrote:Jim.. I can do a new dorman motor for $55.62 tax in for you, if you so desire.
I work at a parts store... hence why I mentioned that I could get you one. Problem is now I just checked our warehouse, they are on order from the mgfr.. I got the last one they had. should be a week or two before they replenish stock.
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

Oddly enough my window has been working quite well for the last month or two, so I will hold off getting a new one for a while yet. I need a new windshield, new tires, and perhaps some other stuff that take priority. :)
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/