no wonder my back hurts..

Post photos, video of your van

Topic author
d3athm3talh3ad
I finally get the smurf thing

no wonder my back hurts..

Post by d3athm3talh3ad »

the weather finally broke long enough for me to pull the engine out today, only been 3 weeks in the making, always raining on my days off and sunny the rest...ugh...but it's out and the fun can begin...frosty cold beer time!! :cheers:

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: no wonder my back hurts..

Post by BLAZER »

Nice job Gwedonlyn!!! Nothing like a woman willing to get her fingers greasy and pull her own motor. :bounce: =D> Took me 3 years to get the one out of my firebird ](*,)
Going to rebuild or ya got a replacement?

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Nice work, ask away theres lots of help here if you need it :supz:

Topic author
d3athm3talh3ad

Post by d3athm3talh3ad »

blazer-i've got a s-10 blazer that i've been driving and the body is rusting away, so i'm going to pull it out and swap it in the astro, since it's got the decent body...and my fingers weren't too greasy, i had on gloves!!! :muhaha: i may keep the old engine and rebuild it just in case, i'm not sure yet...

actually this is my 4th engine swap...done one on my first car, a '74 satellite sebring, one on my '70 pontiac hearse, one on my old full-size '84 chevy van

thanks zam, there's been lots of help from here already...and i'm sure if i need it, you all will be there!!!

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

When I first saw the title of this post I was gonna move it to my AG section because I thought that it was gonna be about breast implants!

But no, I was wrong, >so I will leave it here......

Cool that you have your gurl to help you out, > she is definately a keeper :supz:
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

dumb lady
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dumb lady »

Mr SoCalli!!!! :muhaha: :muhaha: :muhaha:

Gwendolyn, YOU ARE SO WICKED COOL!!! :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: You go Goth Gurl!!!
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
~Ayn Rand

'96 RWD Astro. 155K

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

Gwen, that's awesome!

Can't wait for my wife to tackle the lift on her Jeep, her first real automotive project. She debadged it today, looks nice.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by trybe13 »

You goth girl!! =D>
If I went that far with it, I would have to be putting in a v8!
90 Safari XT Hi Top
Lead guitarist for The Jericho Effect
Click the link to bang that head! http://www.ilike.com/artist/Trybe13

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Nice work. Had a blind date once with a lady. As conversation started it wasn't long she was talking about her Celica needing a new rad. and was going to install it that following weekend. Also swapped out a tranny and a few other things. Needless to say I was impressed but not enough to marry her or help with any installs. :muhaha:
Always nice to know there are some ladies out there turning a wrench. :supz:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
d3athm3talh3ad

Post by d3athm3talh3ad »

socalli--lol!! nope no surgery today (except for the van)...

d/l--thanks!!

ihatemybike--cool!! how high is she going with the liberty?

trybe--i really thought about it, but with gas prices the way they are, i figured i'd better leave well enough alone, looking online the astro should only get 1 mpg less than my blazer which i could probably compensate for with some mods...maybe further down the road...

rebel--lol!!! was the install or the marriage commitment worse? :muhaha:

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

actually this is my 4th engine swap...done one on my first car, a '74 satellite sebring, one on my '70 pontiac hearse, one on my old full-size '84 chevy van
That's great! I still wonder if either of my girls will get intrested in working on cars. I did drag them out to see what a motor looks like apart and explained how it worked.

BTW, I had a 73 Satellite sebring as well. Was my first car as well, it was green and rusty, I don't know how it survied me. :D
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

The lift is 2 1/2" or 3" with included spacers, the 2002 Liberties were 1" higher than later years so compared to a 2003-2007 Liberty it will appear to be lifted about 4". The lift kit should arrive within the next couple weeks.

My daughter is one of my camera people as I work on Grumpy, getting her to turn some wrenches too. Hopefully it will give her a can do attitude for her cars in the future.
Aaron

1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump

Topic author
d3athm3talh3ad

Post by d3athm3talh3ad »

i took auto shop in high school and was lucky enough to have a really knowledgeable teacher...i personally feel everybody should take at least an intro auto shop course, with basics like changing tires, checking fluids, doing maintenance and simple repairs...at least try to get your girls to learn those basics so they have less of a chance of being stranded somewhere...the schools can make home ec. a mandatory class, but totally ignore auto shop/industrial arts classes...most schools i've seen treat industrial arts classes as the place for the problem children, pot-heads and kids that they can't reach or they feel don't have a future...

that lift sounds really cool!!! i helped a friend lift his wrangler tj, it was a nice switch (i usually lower everything) i hope she has lots of fun installing it, it's such a sense of pride when you step back and look at what you've installed when it's all said and done...

i had bought the 74 sebring as a project, the friend i bought it from took the slant 6 out and shoved a 318 in, then found out the k-member has to be replaced in order for the motor mounts to match up...ended up rebuilding the engine, shift kitting the trans, swapping the k-member and rebuilding the front end and rearching the leafs in the rear and a little body work and paint work...made a neat little hot rod look and was really streetable...i just about followed along with what i was learning that day in auto shop and applying it at home...

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

She still jazzing off debadging her Jeep the other day. I've yet to see it in sun light, she really wants me to.

The lift gets cooler, she getting it for free off someone who is changing to an even bigger lift. I can't wait to see the way she is after the lift.
Aaron

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

I love the motor head jargon coming out! Reminds me of court seen in my cousin vinney. :cheers:

You go girl
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...