Non technical and off-topic discussion

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Weekend

Post by potskie »

snapple wrote:
astrozam wrote:
T.Low wrote:I'll have to miss the Red Wings game. Gotta drive across state to get some used BFG AT's for too cheap to turn down.

Go Wings!
You know T.Low, yours Wings and my Habs are gonna meet sooner or later,and when they do????? we'll have ourselve's some old skool hockey :cheers:
GO HABS!! :supz: :partyman:
Darn right go HABS! :supz: :supz: :supz:
Just look at yesterdays game.

My GF is one of those wings liking weirdos.

My weekend started today.... Was supposed to go to Niagara but it canceled so I unpacked my garage and got most of my tools setup and put away.... Same with my office...Also my basement... Tomorrow I am going to get to work on de rusting / cleaning / oil changing my van.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

You know T.Low, yours Wings and my Habs are gonna meet sooner or later,and when they do????? we'll have ourselve's some old skool hockey :cheers:[/quote]
GO HABS!! :supz: :partyman:[/quote]

Darn right go HABS! :supz: :supz: :supz:
Just look at yesterdays game.

I was actually hoping for an orignal six match up.

And as far as Les Habitantes go, my friend has two Siberian Huskies; one named Saku and the other named Koivu. :prayer:
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

dumb lady
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dumb lady »

Having a party here with Carlo Rossi. (Everyone's always invited but nobody ever comes. More for me that way anyhow) :partyman:

My daughters went to Disney for 3-4 days. The youngest is turning 21 Sunday so her sister is taking her out clubbing at the Disney Parks.
While I'll be sittin' here at home pondering how OLDer than dirt I am.

Hope ya all have a great weekend everyone!!
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
~Ayn Rand

'96 RWD Astro. 155K

astrosafari
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by astrosafari »

to start off my weekend...

yesterday we were cleaning the yard, and we barrowed my brothers s-10. Its older, not sure what year. We barrowed it to take some scrap to the scrap yard, and garabage to the dump... Well after our first load we went to look at this other truck some one told us about, about a half hour drive away from home.

After accelerating out of a corner, the brand new water pump my brother put on a few weeks ago, broke apart. The fan broke off and took the belt tensoiner with it, and proceeded into the radiator, and ruined the rad.
After we heard the loud noises and the hissing, we stopped to discover what had just happened, and then walked to the closest houses for help or a phone.
It was just me my dad and my neighbor (Johnny), i was the only one with a cell phone, which died a few minutes before the truck broke.
Johnny said he knew where there was some one he knew, not far, we couldnt find any other help, so we pushed the truck to this persons house, where we used a phone and got some people to come pull us home with a chain.
The people (Chris & Mark) came with a honda delsol (Marks), lmao! little white car, big rims, loud muffler 5 spd! what fun!

We approached a large hill that comes into town, where we figured it would be easier to just coast instead of holding the breaks all the way down.
So we unhooked, and Johnny and his brother (Chris) who came to pull us, got out and gave the truck a push to get started down the hill, and then they jumped in the back... we coasted down the hill, and they were standing in the back, which wasnt smart.
We got to the bottom of the hill and figured home wasnt far so we would just drive.
My dad started it up, and got on our way up the other hill, where we stopped at a stop sign at the top.
Johnny jumped out of the back, and into the delsol which was following us mark was driving it.
Out in a feild right behind us, theres this huge police SUV blowing a u turn, that had cought my eye, and i told my dad, theres a cop right there lets go, so my dad goes, and i yell cops at Chris, and he sits, still in the back of the truck.
were flying home with a large gap between us and this massive SUV, and i thought we would have lossed him. as soon as we got into the drive way, we didnt even have the truck turned off and the cop was in our drive way behind us.
Chris told the cop, he felt like an idiot and it was stupid, he shouldnt have been standing.
the police man said,
"well i couldnt just sit there and not do any thing, there was people around..." then said have a nice day and he left.

during all this, the chain came off once and ripped all the wiring out for the head lights, and signals, and the truck needs 2 pulleys, a fan, a rad, a water pump, a belt, the fan shroud is pretty smashed, and some electrical tape to fix all the wires.

we still have a few loads to take away... but we need another truck :p

the black flies were terrible out in the middle of no where.

we pushed the truck for about an hour, and then waited for about 4 more hours for the people to come...

what a way to spend a friday! :)
i tried my best to tell the story clearly :P
have a nice weekend every one.
91 blazer|00 extreme|99 winter beater

reaper
I sleep in my van

Post by reaper »

Saturday here.
Did some body & paintwork,So far so good.
Bought a new stainless Magnaflow exhaust tip,as my old one is shot.
Also bought a air conditioning "delete pulley" to run opposed to the
disconnected pump.Stephanie is working on the RS ie: paint & bodywork.
90 Astro Cargo V-8
90 Artro RS - V-8 Now running!
& a bunch of tractors
"there's nothing like a V-8 Polluting the Environment"

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

Corey. #-o

Anyhoo, I'm wrenching all weekend. Preparing a couple of scrappers and my scrap trailer, heater hoses on my 1981 Monte Carlo beater; and on the wife's '99, I'm changing all the fluids and flushing what I can, all the brakes, belt tensioner (to go with the new belt, idler pulleys, water pump, and alternator it got over the winter but still has a squeaky belt), complete tune up, front shocks, filters, one flipping rear wheel seal (new last year #-o ), and a new thermostat. Prolly more by the time it's done. I'm going to lightly surface the old rotors form the '99 and put them on my '91, it feels like it has one square and one triangular wheel when you hit the brakes. I guess I should get new pads since it will be apart.

I did the K3500 front brake upgrade on the '99, I didn't see any real difference in the parts.

That front left shock was fun. The plugs look like fun. I should lift it.

I can't believe one wheel seal and the honking pinion seal leak on my rebuilt axle. I prepped it good, I thought. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) I hate to mess with the pinion seal since the bearing is nice and quiet. I think I'm just gonna keep an eye on the level, and leave the pinion alone. I am going to do the wheel seal, so my new brakes will be OK. I still need to wrench on the V8 and get the 350 in there. It's going to be a busy spring.

Happy Wrenching, LOL!

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

I feel like I just wasted the whole day wrenching on Grumpy. Pissed, tired, and really got very little done. I should have pushed it into the garage today, it's supposed to rain the next two days and nothing will get done. I'm going to bed, hopefully I'll wake happier than I am now.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

dumb lady
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dumb lady »

Well my weekend got a little more interesting. (NOT as interesting as some of THOSE stories!)

Mr D/L & I are having a dinner guest for our BBQ tonight. Mr D/L's idea to invite her.
I like having people over as being Mom's caregiver I can't get out much.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
~Ayn Rand

'96 RWD Astro. 155K

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Didn't do anything to my Astro, but I did get the Quadrajet carb put back together and re-installed on my 82 Olds Delta 88.
I'm used to Holley carbs--there isn't much to them--but the electronic Quadrajet is a totally different breed of cat. Seems like GM got the Qjet to do anything by adding more linkages, springs, and vacuum gizmos.

On the outside chance that someone here is running a carbed Astro and wants to play with the idle speed mixture screws, here's an adjusting tool that I came up with today. The mixture screws (at least on my 82 Olds Qjet) have rectangular heads and I don't know where a person would find the proper tool to adjust the screws. So I got a piece of 7/32" brass tubing from the hardware store and forced the tubing over the head of a mixture screw. Voila! Instant adjusting tool.

Here's a photo:

Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

That's a cool trick, Rob.

I thinks Grumpy is rubbing off on you, Bike hater. :poke:

My day was cool. I worked on my wife's van and smoked a 15 pound bricket. It saw 12 hours at 225 in the smoker using mesquite charcoal, regular charcoal (not match light, LOL), hickory chunks, and apple chips off and on to vary the taste. It will finish all night in the oven at 200. Sweet.

On the van, I got a lot done, but didn't get it finished. I'm so glad that it is still daylight in the evenings now. Two of my plug wires just had the end of the wire stuck in the boot, and one had a big chunk out of it. The plugs were Autolites, but everything else looked original. The two with the loose ends were wet looking. It runs much smoother now. I used AC Delco parts, I hope they are OK. AWD's are not fun to do the plugs on. :toimonster:

I tore into the rear axle, I saw no reason why the seal was leaking, but figured I'd replace it since it was apart. I ran into town (20 miles, I don't know what it is Canadian) on my bike to pick up a new seal, but since it was out of an axle saver kit, they didn't have it. There was nothing wrong with the axle, so I have no idea why I put that kind of bearing in it in the first place. :dunce: So, I picked up a bearing and seal, and then realized I needed to rent a slide hammer to pull the old one. I just happened to have a bungee in the saddle bag, so I was good to go. The bike gets like 3 times the mileage of my van or car, and is fun to ride. I've put 500 miles on it so far this year.

I hope everyone else had a great weekend like I did. Live to wrench, wrench to, well drive anyway if not to live. :cheers:

Topic author
Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Man, I'm jealous. You guys got to work on your rides and I've got 18 hours in painting and pulling carpet this weekend in the new house and no where near finished. That's ok though,,I know Susan will feel sorry for me when it's complete which will mean the time to organize the garage, unpack boxes still in storage and get all my junk where I can find it.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Woke up in a better mood, but still feeling beat. Resolved to not wrench on Grumpy today, instead I cleaned the garage, again. Still a mess though, but enough room to have a vehicle parked inside with room to move around for wrenching. Moved two of the three bench seats out of Green and into Grumpy. A hand truck make moving seats in and out of these vans a breeze by the way. Knocked on my neighbors doors till I had enough people to push Grumpy uphill, then had it backed into the garage. I then cleaned out Green and built a new shelf in the garage. Day done.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by trybe13 »

Rebel, thanks for the weekend well wishes!

Corey, Your story had me laughing out loud! Sounds like something that could only happen in a day of the life of Corey! :yikes:

Good to hear that most of us were being productive on the things we like to do. Remember to spend LOTS of time with your kids if you have them.

I spent my weekend clearing out a spare room and setting up the new drum kit one of the pastors at church bought for me.

(Yeah it's a little dusty; I live in New Mexico, what do you expect?!?!?!?! LOL!!)

I was in awe and very thankful that he did that. I'm playing drums in one of the bands I'm in and was only able to get behind a kit to practice 3 or 4 times a week (not enough to take it to the next level in my book), so he got me the kit so I could practice at home. \:D/ God has really been pouring out His blessings on my family this year. My youngest daughter has an upright piano on the way and a member of my church family re-plumbed my whole house for free!!
I know I'm not on as much as I used to be, but I've been really busy with all the music I'm involved with (4 different bands! :yikes:), and I'm going to be on even less during the next couple of weeks. I'm prepping for a mission trip to Taos, New Mexico, and then into Canada later this year. As the Canadian trip gets closer I'll give my Canadian friends the details so maybe we can meet up.
Well you guys take care, and may God continue to bless you all!! :supz:
90 Safari XT Hi Top
Lead guitarist for The Jericho Effect
Click the link to bang that head! http://www.ilike.com/artist/Trybe13

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

The weekend here in sunny central Florida was about as perfect as it gets. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: I did three commercial balloon flights. \:D/ This is about as much fun as a person can have with all of your clothes on. :muhaha: :muhaha: :muhaha:
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

This is about as much fun as a person can have with all of your clothes on.

:muhaha: :muhaha:

and in your spare time,,you run through the Walley World parking lot naked ???? :toimonster:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words