fuel pump upgrade

Topic author
91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

fuel pump upgrade

Post by 91AWDAstro »

My gauge has been acting up so I may be dropping the tank to look into it. I figured while it was down I may as well upgrade the fuel pump. The stock pump is 22lph. I was thinking on upgrading to the 255lph, but I am concerned it that is too much pressure for the TBI. I do have the big Holley 670 TBI with the adjustable regulator. Is there any other options? :-k

Right now I have the pressure set at 14 PSI which is about the max I can get out the the regulator on the TBI.
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...

NotDadsW41
I sleep in my van

Re: fuel pump upgrade

Post by NotDadsW41 »

Put that big pump in place and you probably will not be able to crank your pressure low enough to get the van to run decent.

You might consider a pump for an LT1 powered B-body(Caprice, Roadmaster etc.).

These cars all run around 55-60psi. I run one in my 89 9C1 with an adjustable FPR. When I replaced my stock pump with this one, my pressure was over 35PSI initially. Now I run around 18PSI with my vacuum compensating fuel pressure regulator.
CD_S
1991 W41
1995 Astro - Now gone, I am Astroless.
1997 C1500
1989 9C1 Caprice
1997 Bonneville
1998 Olds 88 LS
http://forums.b-body.org - newly updated!

Topic author
91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

Thanks, it would be nice if they had something that was around 40psi. My brother works at GM in the fuel systems group, he said now they pretty much design for worst case (largest ava motor in the vehicle, pulling a 2000 lb traier in 100 degree weather in texas up hill).

It does have the adjustable reg on it, so If I can't find anything else I may try that pump. Right now it's cranked almost all the way clockwise to get 14 psi.
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Walbro 307M high pressure fuel pump here, no problems. TBI system running 11 PSI, virtually no mods. Was running 9 PSI, but I gained on the G-tech going to 11 PSI significantly. Still within stock range as well. If you have the install kit it should just go right in.