leaky astro

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
woodman
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

leaky astro

Post by woodman »

hi folks. long time lurker here, need a little help. i have a 1995 safari, and a 1994 astro . i love them both. but the94 astro leaks, when it rains. above the windshield. and at the top of the back doors. does anyone have any ideas or alittle dutch boy with big fingers. ](*,) thanks in advance.
one safari v-8 one astro v-6

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: leaky astro

Post by ihatemybike »

Gees, more Dutch stereotyping. [-(

While I will admit I stuck my finger in a dike once, I have never once worn wooden shoes, planted or harvested tulips, or used a windmill for any purpose.

Also, I am capable of tanning and I don't have weak bones.

And now some answers:
Your windshield probably needs to be removed and reset.

Check the seals around the back door for cracks and tears. Clean them and treat them with silicone spray or Armor All to keep them soft and pliable.
Last edited by ihatemybike on Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

wagonmaster
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by wagonmaster »

Make sure it is actualy the back doors and not the rear side windows. We chased a leak for months until I figured out it was the side windows, not the rear. Used black silicon around the molding. Can't see it and it doesn't leak anymore.
Joe

Freedom isn't Free!
My cars/trucks and bikes on http://www.picturetrail.com/wagonmaster55

canadavan
I get chills without my van.

Post by canadavan »

The classic windshield leak on these vans is often caused by the exterior plastic trim that fits into the slot between the glass and the roof. For whatever reason they seem to shrink with age and allow water to pool in the groove above the windshield. Given time, presto, you've got yourself a leak.

Try having a windshield shop pull the trim off and inspect it.
"Damn, youse funny lookin'..."

Todd
Former owner of the Rocket van - v8 powered 1990 Astro
Tall man, no van

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

The rear door seal leak can only be fixed by fitting new seals. I had to do this once to my 98. The windshield will need to be removed and re-sealed most likely.

Another option is to park it under cover and only drive on sunny days. :D
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

Where did you get the rear door seals from? And how much roughly? I have the same problem, i vaselined them up last summer and it worked for a bit. But its wet in the back again. Time to replace the seals and be done with it.

I also had the windsheild leak, and a body seam under the front fender was leaking too. Gave it some more sealer and its good to go now.

Scott

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

So, then, your van must have .....

Incontinence is the lack of voluntary control of liquid functions. Incontinence mostly occurs in older vans but can also occur in newer vans. Incontinence is usually referred to as water when leakage occurs that cannot be helped or stopped. There are two different types of water incontinence, rain and wash. Incontinence of rain is when leakage occurs when it is raining. It can also occur from melting snow or ice. However most van owners do not realize that it is a physical condition. Although, most times this water is not a big deal and is not serious and you may just need to use duck tape to restrict the invasion. Incontinence of wash however is when the van has the need to get washed or rinsed and cannot help but leak.
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Ditto Scott's question: Where did you get the rear door weatherstripping? Has anyone found a source other than the dealership? The first time I looked, the weatherstripping was about $250. Much later I looked again and it had gone up to about $300. Needless to say, my rear doors still leak a bit. $300 bucks...sheesh.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

wagonmaster
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by wagonmaster »

Don't laugh..try JC Whitney mail order...they have all manner of weatherstrip and what I've used is very good.
Joe

Freedom isn't Free!
My cars/trucks and bikes on http://www.picturetrail.com/wagonmaster55

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

I didnt see anything on JCWhitney.. But how about this site: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ ... atalogid=2

Not sure exactly which one it is, one page back it only lists two thogh, the most expensive ones. If thats the right ones, then thats what they cost. At least it should fix the water leak!

Anyone dealt with these people yet?

Scott

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

no laughing here. I bought my weatherstripping for the driver's, passenger's, and sliding doors from JC Whitney.

Yeah, actually I recently bought window weatherstripping from the allways auto site. I couldn't find it anywhere else. I had no problems. It took a while to ship, not sure why, but it got here.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

I think I may have found a solution to the rear door leak without replacing the weatherstripping. While that would be the best fix, it is by far the most expensive.

There is a rubber seal on the bottom of the plastic trim piece that goes alone the back edge of the carpet. If this piece has ever been off before, the seal gets broken. Thats where the water comes in. If the weatherstripping was good, the water wouldnt make it close enough to this point to get inside. But if this seal is good, it will keep the water out at least.

This picture is after a rain storm, you can see how far the water gets. This will keep the carpet dry!

By the way, the bead of silicone did absolutely nothing! I think this stuff I used was glazing putty. So far it looks good, I'll let you know if it does leak.

Hopefully that will help someone else save the cost of weatherstripping.

Scott

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

Well an update.. That rubber putty stuff lifted up and let the water in. So this time I am going to try a bead of silicone all along the back under the trim piece. Hopefully that will work. I priced the seals from the dealer who gives me about 30% or so off list and it will still be over 500 bucks for the seals.

Scott