For Northerners Moving South

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

For Northerners Moving South

Post by Rileysowner »

- If you run your car into a ditch, don't panic. Four men in a four-wheel drive pickup truck with a tow chain will be along shortly. Don't try to help them, just stay out of their way. This is what they live for.

- Don't be surprised to find movie rentals and bait in the same store. Do not buy food at this store.

- Remember, "Y'all" is singular, "all y'all" is plural, and "all y'all's" is plural possessive

- Get used to hearing "You ain't from round here, are ya?"

- Save all manner of bacon grease. You will be instructed later on how to use it.

- Be advised that "He needed killin." is a valid defense here.

- If you hear a Southerner exclaim, "Hey, y'all watch this," you should stay out of the way. These are likely to be the last words he'll ever say.

- If there is the prediction of the slightest chance of even the smallest accumulation of snow, your presence is required at the local grocery store. It doesn't matter whether you need anything or not. You just have to go there.

- Do not be surprised to find that 10-year olds own their own shotguns, they are proficient marksmen, and their mammas taught them how to aim.

- In the South, we have found that the best way to grow a lush green lawn is to pour gravel on it and call it a driveway.

- If you do settle in the South and have children, don't think that they will be accepted as Southerners. After all, if the cat had kittens in the oven, you wouldn't call 'em biscuits.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

wagonmaster
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: For Northerners Moving South

Post by wagonmaster »

Much if what he says is true. We still say Sir and Ma'm when speaking to those older than we are, and even sometimes when they're not. We still open doors for ladies, even if we're not sure..... and we still say excuse me when we accidently bump into you at the store. If you are knocked silly and pick yourself up off of the floor and we say "excuse me", it was a subtle warning about something you were doing....or maybe how you were saying/doing it! [-X :whistle:
Joe

Freedom isn't Free!
My cars/trucks and bikes on http://www.picturetrail.com/wagonmaster55

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Much if what he says is true. We still say Sir and Ma'm when speaking to those older than we are, and even sometimes when they're not. We still open doors for ladies, even if we're not sure..... and we still say excuse me when we accidently bump into you at the store. If you are knocked silly and pick yourself up off of the floor and we say "excuse me", it was a subtle warning about something you were doing....or maybe how you were saying/doing it!

:muhaha: All true,,ya'll come go with us. Another saying and we do mean it but nobody ever comes. :yawinkle: but we all know what it means,,a way of saying good bye.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

I had a good laugh and education. I like the cat one the best.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Well that warmed my heart. So many phrases I have set aside from my vocabulary in order to communicate with my fellow Americans around the union.
Here's a term from my childhood..."tumped", which means to turn over and empty out. As in "I tumped over my wagon and broke most the bottles I collected." Used to get 3 to 5 cents for 'em. There wasn't a glass soda bottle within walkin distance of my house when I was a kid.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

CaptSquid

Post by CaptSquid »

Guess I must be older than you. Alls i can remember is 2 & 3 cents deposit per bottle.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Them there's good 'uns! :-({|=
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

CaptSquid wrote:Guess I must be older than you. Alls i can remember is 2 & 3 cents deposit per bottle.
Err,how about 0 for a deposit??.Does that make me real old?? 8-[ .Guess so. :cry: :cry:But I don't want to be... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Jim in Indy

Post by Jim in Indy »

South of the Mason-Dixon Line, Grape Jelly..... Grape Jelly on darn near everything!!!!
Indy, all the horsepower you could ever imagine in one place...
Indianapolis 500, MotoGP, 400 at the Brickyard, NHRA US Nationals.

1991 Safari GT, 'B' motor, factory 4.10's. Original Owner !!!

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

More than thirty years ago I was in N. Carolina at a restaurant. I ordered shrimp, but the first thing that showed up was about a half dozen deep fried somethings. I told the waitress that I hadn't ordered them; she gave me a look and said that they were hush puppies and they came with the meal. Didn't taste like much, they were just deep fried corn meal, but I made sure that I ate them. Didn't want to further fire up the locals.
I got used to the fact that hush puppies showed up with about anything I ordered while in N Carolina, but a 'hush puppy' to me will always be a brand of shoe.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

CaptSquid

Post by CaptSquid »

The onliest reason them hush puppies didn't taste for much is they was from North Caroline, where they don't know what food is. Y'all gotta put some onions in them puppies and a little spice.

Now, hesh up, yankee, 'for we send some grits your way.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

I rtemember going south for the first time , we stopped at some roadside ma & pa restaraunt in Virginia for breakfast . ordered some eggs bacon & coffee . got my plate & there was this pile of white crap on there that looked like dried up oatmeal !!!

that was my first time ever seeing or tasting grits !!! #-o #-o #-o :muhaha: :muhaha: :muhaha: :muhaha:
Last edited by skippy on Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

More than thirty years ago I was in N. Carolina at a restaurant. I ordered shrimp, but the first thing that showed up was about a half dozen deep fried somethings. I told the waitress that I hadn't ordered them; she gave me a look and said that they were hush puppies and they came with the meal. Didn't taste like much, they were just deep fried corn meal, but I made sure that I ate them. Didn't want to further fire up the locals.
I got used to the fact that hush puppies showed up with about anything I ordered while in N Carolina, but a 'hush puppy' to me will always be a brand of shoe.
funny stuff,,,Rob,,maybe next time you're over that way,,ask for Corn Dodgers instead. You might like them a little better.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

CaptSquid wrote:The onliest reason them hush puppies didn't taste for much is they was from North Caroline, where they don't know what food is. Y'all gotta put some onions in them puppies and a little spice.

Now, hesh up, yankee, 'for we send some grits your way.
Send some grits and "canadian" bacon and poutine will promptly be in return..... Possibly even some Dulse
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

Jim in Indy

Post by Jim in Indy »

CaptSquid wrote:Now, hesh up, yankee, 'for we send some grits your way.
Grits, north of the Mason-Dixon Line, are commonly referred to as 'Bird Cage Gravel'.
Indy, all the horsepower you could ever imagine in one place...
Indianapolis 500, MotoGP, 400 at the Brickyard, NHRA US Nationals.

1991 Safari GT, 'B' motor, factory 4.10's. Original Owner !!!