92 Astro misfire/tune-up info

Topic author
92astro
I finally get the smurf thing

92 Astro misfire/tune-up info

Post by 92astro »

i beleive that my 1992 astro has a misfire cause when at idle is kinda ruff not bad but the engine shakes a little not hard but softly i can feel it in the steering wheel so i am going to in a couple of weeks do a tune up dis. cap, roto, wires, pluges and pcv. what you all think i will update a little later when i do the tune up. it has been a pretty good van. off idle it is smooth as silk. it never dies nor does it feel like it is gonna die but feels like a mis. it is in gear the most i feel in park or neutral it is there but you can't feel it that much so it happends mostly in gear.
bryan in oklahoma i have a 1992 chevy astro with 174,000 miles runs and drives very good with a couple of issues nothing major future mods: 350 smallblock v-8 simple and easy!!, tach, rims and others!!current mods:15%tinted windows

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: misfire

Post by crash »

not sure if the same cause on yours. my 94 always idled a little rough. during driving it wasn't noticable at all only at idle whether in park or in gear, but while not moving. I changed everything trying to eliminate this. i talked to a very well versed GM guy about it and he said that it wasn't uncommon for the torque convertors on the older vans to get out of balance and make it seem like it's idling rough. he suggested leaving it alone and living with it. the only 'fix' would be to rotate the convertor and try it and repeat and repeat and repeat until you find a balanced point once again. needless to say, I lived with it.

best and cheapest place to start is as you mentioned you are going to do anyway. change the typical ignition stuff and see if that helps. just my 2 cents
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Topic author
92astro

tune-up

Post by 92astro »

okay i am about to do a tune-up on my 1992 chevy astro with 166,000 miles i am gonna do plugs, wires, dis. cap, roto and PCV. so what else? i am gonna do the o2 sensor later also, on the dis. cap that is on the van now is it number already? if so i will do plugs first then the wires and transfer them to the new cap one by one. When i had the doghouse off sturdying this plugs change i saw i can reach some through the doghouse. weid?!
bryan in oklahoma i have a 1992 chevy astro with 174,000 miles runs and drives very good with a couple of issues nothing major future mods: 350 smallblock v-8 simple and easy!!, tach, rims and others!!current mods:15%tinted windows

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: tune-up

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

The list sounds good. Add in a fuel and air filter if they haven't been done in a while. I always do the plug wires one at a time on the cap. I remove the old one, put the new one on and then transfer the wires.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

yeah the fuel filter was done about 15,000 miles ago and the air filter is same thing but i am going to check the air filter anyways while i have the doghouse off the things i have not done yet is the tune-up , EGR and o2 sensor but those two things seem okay but i am going to change them out after i do the tune-up and save up more money!!

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

okay i did my tune-up with some help here is the problem it sounds like i have a rocker noise it never did this until i did the tune-up i did find the #5 plug wire not connected so i connected it then restarted the engine and it ran smooth no rocker noise took it arould the block and came back still fine turned it off restarted the engine a couple of minutes later and i heard the rocker noise i do not know if it is a rocker noise but it sounds like it what should i do? do not say v-8 i am poor!

Topic author
92astro

rocker noise

Post by 92astro »

okay here is the problem! i just did a tune-up on my 1992 astro plugs, wires, cap, roto and pcv. well when i went to test the engine after the tune-up i started it and i heard a rocker noise so i said "SHIT" before my tune-up the rockers was quiet. then i smelled raw gas so i turned it off i checked all plug wires from cap to plugs found the #5 plug wire just hanging there so i connected it to the plug i had to cramp it a little to still on. so i started the engine up it sounded great took it for a test drive a couple of WOT pulls it was nice great power got home still no rocker noise then i turned it off then a couple of minutes later i started the engine again and it was smooth idle sounded great then i heard the rocker noise again and i smeelled raw gas so i turned it off checked everything it all seem okay the #5 plug wire seem tight. so help please my next step is to adjust the rockers! but i am going to later pull the #5 plug wire off and check it then put it back on we will see. i hope my engine is okay!? it is not a death knock it is a rocker sounded that is what it sounds like but i can smeell raw gas so i know one cylinder is not fire.

skippy
I sleep in my van

Re: 92 Astro misfire/tune-up info

Post by skippy »

so check each plug & wire to see if another one came off , if they don't click when you put them on the plug , its not on all the way .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.