What ya got?

Manifolds, flexpipe, catalytic converters, mufflers, hangers, piping, EGR etc.

Topic author
ds99
I get chills without my van.

What ya got?

Post by ds99 »

I claim this in the name of the Queen! ( where's Petey?)

Seriously, I'd like to know what exhausts your runnin out there.

Please state v6 or v8 bolt on or custom fab.

P.S. first Petey bash. (it's expected)
98 AWD Astro w/Corvette servos and shift kit,
The Watermelon
I have a shoe, and its scary...
No I wasn't in prison, just busy with kids :)

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

My exhaust system is the one that came with the van. I doubt I would change it any time soon. Maybe if I go V8 I will think of it. :rolleyes:
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I have a 3" high flow cat, to a Flowmaster 40 series 3" in dual 2.5" out and 2 tailpipes out through the rear bumper finished with SS tips. Still running the stock V6 and it sounds great! A little loud inside though...especially on the highway. It was custom fab'd by a local shop.

Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

zr9
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Exhaust

Post by zr9 »

I have a dual 2.5 exhaust running from my hogged out 350 cast manifolds that run thru super dyno 40's and exit out each side just in front of the rear tires.

Nice and quiet, and very little back pressure.

Jay

canadavan

Post by canadavan »

Hedmann headers into 3" Magnaflow cat and muffler. Side exit into 4" chrome tip. A little loud under load but sounds great. REALLY freed up the v8.

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
"Damn, youse funny lookin'..."

Todd
Former owner of the Rocket van - v8 powered 1990 Astro
Tall man, no van

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

2x Dynomax 17769 Super Turbos

3" in, 3" out. Louder than I originally expected, but now I wouldn't change a thing lolol. I'm running 2.5" from stainless OEM manifolds thru two 3" cats and then on to the mufflers mentioned above. The tailpipes come out at the rear bumper. I get some drone from 1950-2100 rpm.

burned
I am smitten with my van

Post by burned »

i had the exhaust guy down the street from the shop do a custom after stock cat duals.

flowmaster muffler,2.5"with chromey tips.sounds awsome,looks awseome and was $350 installed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/ ... tro004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/ ... tro003.jpg
94 shorty cargo

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Soon after I completed the V8 conversion, and ditched the Hedman 68600 headers for OEM exhaust manifolds, I used about 2 feet of flex exhaust tubing to patch the exhaust plumbing together. It lasted about 3 years, which surprised me. But when rust had begun to make its presence felt on the flex tubing, things happened fast. Ugh, an exhaust leak with all the noise.
So I finally got around to replacing the flex with real tubing this weekend. I wasn’t looking forward to it—I’m no fan of exhaust work. And I was adding a new 2.5" Dynomax catalytic converter; much smaller than the original, so I knew some custom work would be needed.
But I didn’t know what length of tubing, or what bend might be necessary, would be needed to fill the gap in the exhaust plumbing.
So I worked it from both ends of the Astro; I hung and loosely clamped the tailpipe to the muffler and then placed the cat on the Y-pipe. Back when I selected the Dynomax muffler, I had a choice to make—the inlet to the muffler could be centered or offset to the side. I decided on the offset because the original muffler was that way; figured Chevy knew something I didn’t. Big mistake! The job would have been far easier now if I had bought the centered inlet muffler; there’s quite an offset between the outlet of the new cat and the inlet of the muffler. It took some work, but I finally found the right combination of short angled tubing pieces from a universal cat kit by Walker and an angled piece I had laying around. Putting that last section of tubing into place, in the middle of the exhaust plumbing, was no fun but it all came together. Just in time, too, as it started raining.
Worked out great; no more exhaust popping noise and the noise level seems a bit toned down with the new cat. But the right sound is there when the hammer is dropped—gotta love that V8 howl!
Surprisingly, even my wife approves of the way the van now sounds.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

68600's to 2.5 to Dynomax 17333's 2.5 in 2.5 out adapter to 3in. Don't know yet how I'll run the tailpipes. Maybe exit under IRS, but may have fume issues or maybe up and under rollpan side by side.

All the clamps you see are temporary untill I can get this deal completed and I wouldn't advise using the 68600's as they will rust out pretty quick. If you're going to run headers, I'd get coated.

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

i'm still stock. just changed the cat to a magnaflow highflow .. not big difference in performance, but noticable difference.

i have yet to hear a V6 that sounds good with any type of performance muffler (i'm very picky). they just sound like V6's with performance mufflers.. lol...
I just changed my intermediate pipe and muffler on saturday to another OEM replacement. until i hear something good on a V6 .. or until a V8 mysteriously appears under my hood .. i'll be sticking with quiet stockers. :-$

maybe a post could be made with the guys that have performance (aka sound enhancing) mufflers could post audio clips ??? :-k

ie. year of van, engine size, brand/model of muffler, other exhaust mods like cat or headers, sound clip :D
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

68600 headers with copper manifold gaskets and aluminum collector gaskets. Dual 2 1\4" pipes with 2 magnaflow cats and two Flowmaster 40's heading out each side of the rear. To quiet if you ask me. The right side pipe crosses over at the driveshaft allowing you to drop the tranny without removing the exhuast and also keeps some heat away from the tranny. Unlike the stock y pipe that makes a nice tranny heater.

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

Had this done yesterday since I needed a new tailpipe anyway. Deleted the muffler and just pipe on back after convertor. I liked the sound when I had my S10 like this, but this sounds very ricey and almost like a diesel, not sure if I like it. I may throw in the Flowmaster I have down the road.

Topic author
ds99

Post by ds99 »

Looks good Blazer, I started this thread because my tailpipe was slowly turning to dust.
What is that on your rearend? Is it a guard or gear basket? Looks interesting. :-k
98 AWD Astro w/Corvette servos and shift kit,
The Watermelon
I have a shoe, and its scary...
No I wasn't in prison, just busy with kids :)

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

That would be my rearend cover protector....a Dean special. Really has no function for me, but looks cool. Dean probably actually used it while 4 wheelin'.

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Re: What ya got?

Post by GnarliSafari »

3in. high-flow cat. into a single flowmaster 40 series 3inches into dual 2.5inches out, side by side the whole way back out through the passenger side of the roll pan. V6 with a K&N kone filter, custom stainless steel mandrel bend job by local shop back home (WI) no welds other than the hangers.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.