gages and sending units

Topic author
92astro
I finally get the smurf thing

gages and sending units

Post by 92astro »

ok i just have a couple of questions! first the oil pressure sending unit is located by the dist. right it looks like it? also i found the engine temp. sending unit for the gage it has one wire going to it right? it is green. okay here is my next question: on my gage cluster it is the analog one when i put the key in i turn it to on i hear the fuel pump prime good and i see 3 lights on battery, ses, and seatbelt is there suppose to be more lights on before i start the engine like a bulb test? the van starts and runs great the 3 lights go out after i start the engine so no problem.this is a 1992.
bryan in oklahoma i have a 1992 chevy astro with 174,000 miles runs and drives very good with a couple of issues nothing major future mods: 350 smallblock v-8 simple and easy!!, tach, rims and others!!current mods:15%tinted windows

Jboy2
I sleep in my van

Re: gages and sending units

Post by Jboy2 »

92astro wrote:ok i just have a couple of questions! first the oil pressure sending unit is located by the dist. right it looks like it? also i found the engine temp. sending unit for the gage it has one wire going to it right? it is green. okay here is my next question: on my gage cluster it is the analog one when i put the key in i turn it to on i hear the fuel pump prime good and i see 3 lights on battery, ses, and seatbelt is there suppose to be more lights on before i start the engine like a bulb test? the van starts and runs great the 3 lights go out after i start the engine so no problem.this is a 1992.
If you mean the oil pressure switch, then Correct. The oil pressure switch is located by the dist. I can take a picture of how the one in my 1991 astro looks like since i had to change it out today? Correct, the 3 lights that light on my cluster is the Battery, SES, and the seat belt when i turn the key.
1991 Chevy Astro Extended- Stock 4.3

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

yes post pics please! is the 3 lights it? if so okay! and what does the oil pressure switch do?
bryan in oklahoma i have a 1992 chevy astro with 174,000 miles runs and drives very good with a couple of issues nothing major future mods: 350 smallblock v-8 simple and easy!!, tach, rims and others!!current mods:15%tinted windows

Jboy2
I sleep in my van

Post by Jboy2 »

92astro wrote:yes post pics please! is the 3 lights it? if so okay! and what does the oil pressure switch do?

The oil pressure switch control the pressure to a preset limit, so if the oil pressure increase's it bleeds off the pressure to the pre-set limit. If the pressure drops, the switch turns off the fuel pump, to stop the engine and limit damage to internal parts.

Yea, Those are the only 3 lights that light up when i switch the key.
1991 Chevy Astro Extended- Stock 4.3

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

okay thank-you yeah that is what i saw by the dist. cool also where is the oil pressure sending unit for the guage?

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Oil pressure sending unit and oil pressure switch are the same gizmo. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Oil pressure sending unit and oil pressure switch are the same gizmo. \:D/
on my brothers and my old 92 they are different animals . is there a round looking sensor on the back side of the block just below the oil pressure switch ? if there is then that is your sending unit for the gauge . i'll see if i can find a pic for you .

the circled sensor is the one i'm talking about
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

hey that looks like my engine!!.. have you been taking pics of my engine without my premission?..!!! just joking!!!

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

That sensor that is circled is the knock sensor, not the temperature sender. The temperature sender for the gauge will be in one of the heads i believe.

Scott

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

yeah i know where the temp. sender for the gage is located i found it it only has one wire which is green right? this a 1992 astro. also i am looking for the oil pressure sending unit?