how difficult to change distributor?

Topic author
crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

how difficult to change distributor?

Post by crash »

just curious if it's something I'd consider doing myself on my 99 ... any need to knows, do's and dont's etc...

thanks
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: how difficult to change distributor?

Post by Rileysowner »

Being fairly new to the whole wrenching thing, what would switching to a different distributor achieve for you in your '98?
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

riley i know some of the cores i see come through work the gears on the ends of them are very worn out and are noticible smaller some cracked but on a 99 i don't think that would be a problem but crash i have no idea what is required to change them haven't tried yet
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

mikedamech
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by mikedamech »

Disconnect the battery, Mark the rotor to housing. remove bolt, lift distributor, the rotor will turn when it stops mark again at housing. To install, reverse.
98 Astro with a 95 LT1
94 Astro stock w/Flo master.

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

... wow could you make that sound any easier.....
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

I like to ref number one cylinder @ tdc with the rotor on number one cylinder on the dist and the timing mark on the harm balancer @ 0 on the timing mark.Bump the engine over with that plug out and putting your finger over that number one plug hole.Ck the dist to see it is on number one and pressure is beginning to mount.Then turn it over by hand to get to 0 on the harm balancer timing mark.Mark the dist to the intake to get back the timing once you want to reinstall it.The oil pump drive slot will be front to back straight.That way if by chance I end up one tooth off,I can go back and ref the same point to correct it.

But you never said why you want to change the dist.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Topic author
crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

well.. trying to solve my hesitation problem. a new dist with cap and rotor is only around $25 more than a new cap on it's own. i fgured if it's as easy mike made it out to be i'd do it. if it was as complicated as gary stated, i wouldn't.. LOL

I've read other threads on the net related to random misfire codes and hesitation issues that those worn dist gears can cause the havoc i'm experiencing... and like I said.. for the cost difference, wouldn't it be worth a try? (depending on the easy of a swap)
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

You can do it!!!!!!!!! It's just that easy. In addition to what Mike said you'll want to mark the dist housing in reference to the bore where it sits. It doesn't take much of a variation from that point to throw a code. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

I've done a couple of them. The one caution I have for you is that as you remove the distributor, the shaft will rotate as the worm gear disengages. This also rotates the oil pump tang that fits into the bottom of the distributor shaft. To install the new dist., the oil pump shaft has to be rotated counter clockwise to a point beyond the marked position of the rotor. As the new shaft slides in, the worm gear will rotate the rotor clock wise. This is a blind operation. I usually takes me several tries before I get the oil pump tang in the right position so that the rotor rotates to the correct position as the dist. goes in. Patience helps.
It would have been nice if the automotive engineers would have made the oil pump tang a bit longer so the dist. shaft could be partially seated on it and then the worm gear would tooth in, but they didn't. The oil pump tang and the gear engage simultaneously. This is the way it works on my '89 astro, and my '96 jeep anyway. If the later year models are different, I'm jelous.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

crash wrote:well.. trying to solve my hesitation problem. a new dist with cap and rotor is only around $25 more than a new cap on it's own. i fgured if it's as easy mike made it out to be i'd do it. if it was as complicated as gary stated, i wouldn't.. LOL

I've read other threads on the net related to random misfire codes and hesitation issues that those worn dist gears can cause the havoc i'm experiencing... and like I said.. for the cost difference, wouldn't it be worth a try? (depending on the easy of a swap)

Naa,the way I said,is the way it got done @ the Chevy Tonn,NY engine plant where I worked as a engine tester yrs ago.Nothing changed over the yrs.It's easy-go for it.Worse case,we are here for ya man.You can do it. =D> =D>
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Gary, you're method is correct if you aren't sure of the relationship of the reciprocating parts. (See, Petey, I can use those big words too). \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Smiliesafari wrote:Gary, you're method is correct if you aren't sure of the relationship of the reciprocating parts. (See, Petey, I can use those big words too). \:D/
Be very careful when talking to Peter and relationships to reciprocating parts. :poke: :poke: :rolleyes: :muhaha: :muhaha: After all,he twists his axles. 8-[
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Crash you can do it. The doghouse will give you more problems and eat more time than actually changing the dist + rotor. Also to give you some encouragement ... everything posted already is excellent info - when I did my dist + rotor ... uh God must have loved me cause I did not mark anything. I just pull it out and put it in ... luck ass eh? So you can do it!
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

mikedamech

Post by mikedamech »

GEJ wrote:I like to ref number one cylinder @ tdc with the rotor on number one cylinder on the dist and the timing mark on the harm balancer @ 0 on the timing mark.Bump the engine over with that plug out and putting your finger over that number one plug hole.Ck the dist to see it is on number one and pressure is beginning to mount.Then turn it over by hand to get to 0 on the harm balancer timing mark.Mark the dist to the intake to get back the timing once you want to reinstall it.The oil pump drive slot will be front to back straight.That way if by chance I end up one tooth off,I can go back and ref the same point to correct it.

But you never said why you want to change the dist.
A 99 has no adjustment, bolts on only one way. Yes it is always smart to get to #1 TDC and take off that Negitive battery cable.
98 Astro with a 95 LT1

mikedamech

Post by mikedamech »

kings-x59 wrote:I've done a couple of them. The one caution I have for you is that as you remove the distributor, the shaft will rotate as the worm gear disengages. This also rotates the oil pump tang that fits into the bottom of the distributor shaft. To install the new dist., the oil pump shaft has to be rotated counter clockwise to a point beyond the marked position of the rotor. As the new shaft slides in, the worm gear will rotate the rotor clock wise. This is a blind operation. I usually takes me several tries before I get the oil pump tang in the right position so that the rotor rotates to the correct position as the dist. goes in. Patience helps.
It would have been nice if the automotive engineers would have made the oil pump tang a bit longer so the dist. shaft could be partially seated on it and then the worm gear would tooth in, but they didn't. The oil pump tang and the gear engage simultaneously. This is the way it works on my '89 astro, and my '96 jeep anyway. If the later year models are different, I'm jelous.
If you have trouble with the oil pump tang, use a screwdriver to rotate a few degrees at a time, you can see it with a flashlight. If you mark the roter after it has turned from the cam, the cam wont turn as long as the negitive cable has been removed. And the distributor will fall into place like......well you know what.
98 Astro with a 95 LT1