Computer issues-S.O.S. help

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Computer issues-S.O.S. help

Post by kings-x59 »

If the throttle plate is closing correctly, iac is working correctly, map sensor and tps working correctly, the throttle body / intake mods shouldn't make it idle high. Is there any possibility that the previous owner, in his porting efforts, created a vacuum leak in the throttle body? as in, burned a small hole through it somewhere?

One other thing just popped into my mind..I've read that the shaft on the throttle plate can wear the hole through the throttle body a bit and create a vacuum leak.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

kings-x59 wrote:If the throttle plate is closing correctly, iac is working correctly, map sensor and tps working correctly, the throttle body / intake mods shouldn't make it idle high. Is there any possibility that the previous owner, in his porting efforts, created a vacuum leak in the throttle body? as in, burned a small hole through it somewhere?

One other thing just popped into my mind..I've read that the shaft on the throttle plate can wear the hole through the throttle body a bit and create a vacuum leak.
Yeah,I am leaning towards a TBI issues myself.I'll let you know what I find tomorrow.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

NotDadsW41
I sleep in my van

Post by NotDadsW41 »

Gary - Again what RPM are we talking about for this high idle? And how long does it last?

All of the TBI equipped vehicles I have owned idled high at startup when operating in open loop mode. Once they warmed up past a certain temp, the idle would come down.

I think you may be chasing a problem that is not really a problem.
CD_S
1991 W41
1995 Astro - Now gone, I am Astroless.
1997 C1500
1989 9C1 Caprice
1997 Bonneville
1998 Olds 88 LS
http://forums.b-body.org - newly updated!

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

I have seen a small change cold vs operating temp.Still abit high.I'll measure it and let ya know.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

ditto on the high idle when cold. Mine runs rich and idles quite high until it hits operating temps.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

If it is idling at like 1500 to 1700-I think that is too high.Again,I have seen a slight difference cold to hot.The EGR,IAC,PVC,all seem to be working.Going to disconnect the temp sensor and see what that does.As I said,I will measure the RPM's and tell all of you what that is.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

I check to make sure the spring hasn't fallen off and if not, adjust the idle screw. :muhaha: :yawinkle:

Good luck Gary
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
GEJ

Idle issue

Post by GEJ »

As some know I have been chasing a high idle issue on my TBI 350.The engine is still in the donor van because I refuse to swap the problem into Ole Yellar.Recently I swapped the tilt sterring from the donor into Ole Yellar.Well I went back and swapped the Ole Yellar steering column back into the donor to continue to look for the high idle problem and started it up connecting all the wires to it.Damm,it idled normal. ](*,) Now what in the world would effect that?????.Kind of lost on this one. :-k #-o
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

We think the steering column swap and the normal idle was just a chance happening.I still can't get a snap-on scanner or paper clip to link up.If I disconnect the computer and reconnect it,it runs differently.I dropped the data link connector off the dash and looked at the wiring and it all appears to be good.The current thought is it is the computer that is bad.Next wk we are going to swap out the computer and see what that does.If not for nothing,at least I might be able to get some codes from it.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Three computers and still can't get it to link up. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) Ck'ed the data connector and the wiring.All looked good. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) Well I bought this donor for it to be a running TBI 350.So much for that plan.Going to swap out the TBI in the next couple of days to see if that will lower the idle. #-o #-o
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

I check to make sure the spring hasn't fallen off and if not, adjust the idle screw.

Ahhhhhhhh,,a carb,,so nice.
Good luck Gary,,wish I could help ya but ole school hear ain't going there. I'll just stick to my carb.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

So Gary, what are the actual RPM's it is idling at? Are you sure it's a high idle?
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:So Gary, what are the actual RPM's it is idling at? Are you sure it's a high idle?

Yes Dean-three mechanics,Blazer and myself all agree on that count.After(as I said)the steering column swap,it ran normal and for some reason a check engine did come on.That lasted for only one start and slowly went back to the high ilde. That meant the link to the computer worked for a short time.Now what concerns me more than anything is that fact we can't scan the computer(s) and we put in three of them.Now the swap of a TBI "might" resolve the high idle,but what sensor would prevent scanning the computer??.I am leaning towards a wiring problem and I am going to look at the diagrams at which wire powers the computer.I need VU values if I where to check all the pins at the comupter connector and then at the data connector.I might be able to find if there is a break in the harness or something miss wired.The other thing that may or may not have anything to do with it is it does take alot of turns to start,but aside from the idle,it runs well.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Here is a thought.If the TBI was preventing a normal idle,would that throw the computer(s) into open loop and prevent me from scanning??.Hummm... ](*,) :-k
What I am saying is of course with the engine not running and having a bad IAC,IAC motor,temp sensor throttle position sensor.

I guess I am asking at what RPM does the computer go to open loop??.W.O.T.???.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Open loop is generally where the engine is cold and runs off a pre-programmed fuel map until the O2, coolant temp and other sensors take over control and it goes into closed loop. It is not based off RPM at all but is based on engine temp.

So, what is the actual idle? It has been asked by at least 3 people in this thread and you said 3 mechanics have looked at it...surely 1 of them hooked a tach up to see what it is at and if the mods made any change!
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy