This kind of turns my stomach

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: This kind of turns my stomach

Post by phr1$k37 »

ihatemybike wrote:Of the times my vans have be hit the van has always came out the better of the two vehicles. Seems these things are actually tougher than most other things on the road.

My thoughts exactly. I have seen a lot of accidents in the wreckers and the M-bodies impress me. BUT there is no denying what the truth states in the original post. Although as well I do not plan on ramming a FIXED concrete block no more. Did that once and that was one time enough!!! :)
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

1996astro
I get chills without my van.

Post by 1996astro »

In 2007 I rear ended an 05 Impala with my 96 Astro at 35mph. I got a used bumper support for it, glued the grill back together (all peices were there), tweaked the hood, as bad as the bumper cover looked when I took it off it went right back to shape didn't even crack. Air bags didn't go off. Did $6,000 in damage to the Impala, (they brought it to the dealer I work at) bent the unibody, folded up like an accordion. For 50 bucks you couldn't tell I ever hit anything.

I feel very safe in my Astro, only thing that bothers me is being t-boned and rolled over. You will have that with any van though.
Brandon
Bay City, MI

1997 Astro LT 4x4 48,000 Miles,
Custom Lift: 3" body spacers, torsion keys,
4" leaf spring relocation mounts (by ME),
added a leaf spring from a 94 S10 blazer.
All this gives me 5-6 inches of lift.
General Grabber AT2 31X10.50R15
Custom fit Brush guard
Western 7' 6" plow pictures coming soon...
1997 Buick Century 198,000 miles

Topic author
modlite
I am merely driving my van

Post by modlite »

By the way that crash is not straight head on. It's offset so it's only hitting the left side. So that would be the equivalent of maybe hitting a light pole or being clipped in the front by a drunk driver or something. I just thought it was interesting how easy the van folds. Everything i've looked at the front end folds but it stops there. But every accident is different none of them probably replicate that one

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

I remember we had this conversation on the old board and someone posted up a link to a guy's website about the head on he and his family got in in his astro...... IIRC and I'm probably wrong but his name was mike..... IIRC he had a knee injury and his wife in the pass seat had a broken leg and severe burns from the heater core. The FD also had to cut her out of the van. His kids got beat up in the back seemingly more than the front passengers. I thought I bookmarked it but can't seem to locate the bookmark.... Because I'm sure there were more injuries. They did get pretty beat up and such but all survived (thank god) and it wasn't a small vehicle that hit them either it was a Ford F350 IIRC. The truck hit the front on a tad bit of angle and went across the front (right?) fender and wheel as they collided.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

these pics are from the old forum & are of the worst astro accident that i can remember seeing & both driver & passenger walked away with a few bruises & scratches . if you look at the pics good , i think the van held up very well for being sandwiched loike that .

YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Yes you are right Pots! It was one of our members. He had the newspaper clipping as well. I have it saved some where I will look for it.

As I mentioned that crash test is offset and fixed. It can happen but is more rare compared to other accidents prone to happen. Even a light pole these vehicles run over ... UNLESS it is those better light poles with concrete bottoms haha. Either way drive with alertness. I hope no one ever has to be in an vehicle accident but it happens.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

skippy wrote:these pics are from the old forum & are of the worst astro accident that i can remember seeing & both driver & passenger walked away with a few bruises & scratches . if you look at the pics good , i think the van held up very well for being sandwiched loike that .

Wow, that's the most I've seen an Astro smashed. But looking at that I feel completely safe.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

skippy wrote:these pics are from the old forum & are of the worst astro accident that i can remember seeing & both driver & passenger walked away with a few bruises & scratches . if you look at the pics good , i think the van held up very well for being sandwiched loike that .

INSANE.

The one I was talking about there was nothing left of the front end and the engine in the pics on the site was sitting between the 2 front seats.

Still tho INSANE man.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

potskie wrote:I remember we had this conversation on the old board and someone posted up a link to a guy's website about the head on he and his family got in in his astro...... IIRC and I'm probably wrong but his name was mike..... IIRC he had a knee injury and his wife in the pass seat had a broken leg and severe burns from the heater core. The FD also had to cut her out of the van. His kids got beat up in the back seemingly more than the front passengers. I thought I bookmarked it but can't seem to locate the bookmark.... Because I'm sure there were more injuries. They did get pretty beat up and such but all survived (thank god) and it wasn't a small vehicle that hit them either it was a Ford F350 IIRC. The truck hit the front on a tad bit of angle and went across the front (right?) fender and wheel as they collided.
That was me that posted it. I'm trying to get the link from the guy who was in the accident. The were hit almost head on/slight side angle by a large cargo truck.

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Hopefully Blazer can get the link again. It was nutty. Just a normal trip to the car show (I think?) and the Ford truck head on to them. Everyone was ok. I think it was his son that was sitting behind driver seat who went to hospital for glass cuts (no side airbags).

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

I've read that a 'stro will fold up like that. So, I try not to follow too close and watch for aholes coming the other way.
I think if a head on is inevitable, I'll be pulling up my knees, screw the brakes.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

dumb lady
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dumb lady »

kings-x59 wrote: I think if a head on is inevitable, I'll be pulling up my knees, screw the brakes.
Forget that!! If it's a head-on I'll be kissing my a$$ goodbye!!! :muhaha:

I feel very safe in my Astro. And I drive like an old lady. I try not to pay mind to stuff like this video. If my number's up my number's up. Ya know?
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
~Ayn Rand

'96 RWD Astro. 155K

NastyZ28

Post by NastyZ28 »

I'm the guy mentioned that got hit. What hit us was a 1995 E350 box truck. Estimated closing speed was 80MPH. I was moderately injured. My youngest son, sitting behind me was slightly injured (mostly traumatized by what he witnessed). My wife who was sitting in the passenger seat snapped her femur and was crushed against the dash - she had to be extricated by the jaws of life. She was knocked out cold for several minutes. My oldest boy, sitting behind her had his face torn open by the shattering window when his head hit it. My middle boy was sitting out back. His face impacted the middle seat. He fractured his skull and his back. He nearly died, but he survived due to many twists of fate which all lined up and allowed him to survive. We were all wearing seatbelts. My middle son most likely put the shoulder portion behind his back which caused it to not work as well as it could have. he nearly paid for this mistake.

I know some folks at Chevy and after our accident, I asked a major fellow to thank the folks who built our truck for building something which had a part in saving our lives. Apparently he did.

I drove into this accident kissing my ass goodbye. I didn't have many options. All I could do was position my van in such a way it decreased the angle at which we hit. He hit us, drove up over my hood and was deflected off to the side whereupon he exploded and burned. I have no idea how he didn't come through my windshield.

I emailed my friend (blazer) earlier because he had asked about it, most likely due to this thread.
The whole story about our ordeal can be seen here:

http://www.nastyz28.com/astro/

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

Thank you for your post and info.I hope for you and yours that the best outcome long term.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Topic author
modlite

Post by modlite »

Very glad to see that you and your family made it out of there. Quick question, didn't they dramatically change the Astro in like 99 to help it hold up better in these type of situations?