This kind of turns my stomach

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

canadavan
I get chills without my van.

Re: This kind of turns my stomach

Post by canadavan »

On the old board someone posted a link to an article where a study of traffic fatalities was done based on the vehicles involved. The Astro / Safari vans had the lowest fatality rate of ANY vehicle. Period. You might not end up in one piece, but you'll likely live to tell about it.

I'm sure I could find the article if I put some effort into it...
"Damn, youse funny lookin'..."

Todd
Former owner of the Rocket van - v8 powered 1990 Astro
Tall man, no van

NastyZ28
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by NastyZ28 »

Quick question, didn't they dramatically change the Astro in like 99 to help it hold up better in these type of situations?
The gold van folding up in the initial post is a 1999 model year if I'm not mistaken.

The Astro has a full frame. You can see where the frame came in handy in some of the pictures. I don't know if what our van did was typical, but that's what it did for us. Everything folded up around us. Look at my steering wheel and the instrument panel. Everything worked. Look at the guy who hit me... I knocked his cab sideways (admittedly he hit a tree after hitting me, but I don't think the tree destroyed his cab).

http://nastyz28.com/astro/van18.jpg

The kid driving the truck survived too. Apparently he bailed out just after it hit the tree. By the time I got myself out of the van (less than a minute) to begin doing what I needed to do and glanced over at his truck, he was completely on fire. I glanced over at him and said "he's dead". Then I looked in at my wife and said "and I think she is too".

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

Hey Mike, looks like you beat me back here. Thanks for posting the link. These vans are very safe, even though they are not a full framed vehicle....the frames are actually almost identical to the later 2nd gen camaros, I ordered some parts for my old van that were same stock numbers as my 79 camaro I had.
Glad you all are getting back to normal life, I remember how we watched you all go through this on nastyZ day by day.

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Also very glad your family survived this crash.

Forget that!! If it's a head-on I'll be kissing my a$$ goodbye!!!
Christine,,,any possibility we could watch this,,you know, just to make sure you actually were able to accomplish this. :yawinkle:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

chemist
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by chemist »

It seems to me that the van folds right under where the frame ends and the unibody starts. Wonder if there's any way these vans could've been put on a full frame...

Previous Vans: 1998 Astro, AWD, 138K mi; traded on 2003 Chevy Astro, AWD, 125K mi; traded on
2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT, 4x4, ext, long box
2007 Chevy Cobalt
1998 Maza MPV (180K mi and in need of PA inspection--only paid $500!)

Needed: a Gen 2 Astro project vehicle...

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

chemist wrote:It seems to me that the van folds right under where the frame ends and the unibody starts. Wonder if there's any way these vans could've been put on a full frame...
Well not so much a full frame,but moreover frame ties reinforced with a x'ed rollbar or cage.If it was only frame ties the energy involved in a front end crash might want to shift the body left or right.The thing to consider is that energy being adsorbed by the components taking the shock and or transferring it back.These vans had a record of damaging the foot area and injury to feet/legs.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

tbhager94
I sleep in my van

Post by tbhager94 »

3 years age i rolled my first astro , it was a 94 and we all walked away unharmed. it was a combo of muddy road and going to fast.
ya want to know the funny part , a year later on my second astro the tranny went and i called a junk yard and they had a tranny from a 94 astro well you guessed it , it was from my first astro and the van is still at that yard .

2000 chev blazer 4x4
If its got tits or wheels, its gonna give you problems!
im sure we all know the #1 junk yard rule if it fits in your pocket its free.