very strange........

Topic author
coolen
I finally get the smurf thing

very strange........

Post by coolen »

you all ain't gonna believe this. the other night i took the rims and tires off the stro' and put them on the safari, put a bit of gas in the astro, then it wouldn't start. worked a 1 when i parked it there. it'll start if i hold er' to the floor, but once i let off it dies out. almost as if it was flooding. hmmmmmmmmmmm ](*,)

and lastnight the alternator bracket broke on me,(on the safari) so i had to put my spare on. acording to the manual there is actually 3 bolts that hold the alternator on. the 2 obvious ones, then one that goes through the thin part of the bracket in the back of the alternator. so i currently have only the obvious 2 holding it until i find out what will fit. it seems that it will be rather big. trial and error i guess. i never took noticed of the size where it screws in the back of the alternator.

the fun continues....................
95 safari AWD
94 astro, just itchin' for a V8!!

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Re: very strange........

Post by Rebel »

All these things build character and patients. Ain't it a ball ? That's why at 60, I'm at the point when something goes wrong I don't give a damn. I just chalk it up as "Just a Thing"

No joke,,sorry about your issues,,it will get better.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Amen, Larry. Coolen.......What doesn't kill us makes us stronger. Even if we don't want it. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Hey Skip,not to jack a thread here but have you ever had a major job fall apart on ya and you bust out laughing. Are ya that far along yet ? If not,,it's coming. :muhaha:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
coolen

Post by coolen »

well, i had the cap and button off it. cleaned it up a bit, although there was only minor corrosion in the cap. that made no difference. so lastnight i put a different ign module in the dist, that made no difference. Maybe where it ran out of gas, the fuel filter plugged up, she'll catch when i got it to the floor. but it wont start other wise. i'm also gonna check the codes at some point today. I think it's jelous cuz i put her sneakers on the safari...............
95 safari AWD

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Larry, I can't recall the times. Just shake the old noggan and start all over. No big deal. I just convince myself that the first time was a practice run. :muhaha:
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
coolen

Post by coolen »

well, i actually had a chance to check the codes. they are :

15= Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor High
43= Knock sensor signal was either above 3.5 volts or below 1.5 volts for at least 20 seconds.
54= Fuel Pump Relay

i knew the code 43. that has been around for a long time.

so i'm left with the ect and the fuel pump relay. where should i start? :-k
95 safari AWD

SCPerf
I am merely driving my van

Post by SCPerf »

Start with the fuel pump relay. Chances are that there is one right beside it that is the same. Then you just switch them and see what happens. Cheepest way to start. The ECT can be checked with an ohm meter. I don't know what the limits are but, Autozone can print you an explination of your codes. And, it will give you the limits that the ECT should fall into when checked with an ohm meter. (or at least they would when I worked there)
Mark Nishwitz

Topic author
coolen

Post by coolen »

well, the fuel pump is coming on with the key, so i guess i can dismiss the relay. plus the fuel is spraying out of the injectors. i'm gonna try a new coolant temperature sensor and see what happens. oh ya, i almost forgot. without the van running, at one point when i was turning my dist cap, the injectors would spray. wierd...........
95 safari AWD

SCPerf

Post by SCPerf »

Injector pulse is directly related to engine timing. That's pretty typical I would think.
Mark Nishwitz

Topic author
coolen

Post by coolen »

ok, cool. that makes me feel a bit better. \:D/
95 safari AWD