Safari tried to escape.... might have to buy a chain

ANYTHING TO DO WITH MAKING YOUR VAN MOVE EXCEPT FOR THE ENGINE ITSELF.

Topic author
Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Safari tried to escape.... might have to buy a chain

Post by Moreforles »

found that the 96 Safari I bought, has a problem with the park brake doesnt hold...

backed it in the driveway until the rear bumper touched my full size vans front bumper, and went into the house, came out a couple hours later and found the Safari had moved. :yikes:

I was rubbing my head, trying to figure out if it moved or maybe I had imagined the bumpers hitting.... was about to go ask my wife if she moved my van, but as I stood there I noticed the Safari slowly (turtle speed) moving down my driveway. I got in started it and backed it back up and set the park brake before turning it off again....

I've got to get used to using the park brake or fix it....(or buy a long chain, so it doesnt run away....

(Any suggestions, is it something easily fixed or a sign of another more serious problem?
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Safari tried to escape.... might have to buy a chain

Post by potskie »

Well it definately means there is something wrong with park. if the tooth that locks the transmission was totally gone the van would roll like it was in neutral tho.

I wonder if the linkage needs adjustment or somethign to that effect like the trans is somewhere halfway between park and reverse.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Moreforles, is this 96 an AWD? If so, I remember reading a long time back that a fault in the viscous clutch could cause this to happen.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

Topic author
Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

as far as I know, 96 rear wheel drive Safari.... havn't looked under it yet, but there are no AWD emblems on it anywhere, like on my 94 Astro (EXT awd)
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

The problem is with what is called the parking pawl. The question is if the teeth are chewed off the drum or not, if not then it is probably a fairly easily fixable problem (as in in vehicle) if it is then you're looking at a full rebuild and a new drum or a junk yard tranny.

Topic author
Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

or a set of wheel chocks.....

COMP
I am smitten with my van

Post by COMP »

any updates ??

Topic author
Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

So far it hasn't escaped... and haven't had to put a leash on it....

don't know where or what to check, as far as whether its worn parking paw or just in need of adjusting.... been keeping the emergency brake on, just to be safe side.... and I seem to remember that I have some old tire chocks from pop up camper... thought about throwing them under the wheels as well.....

Topic author
Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

Still haven't adjusted or checked anything, too busy working.

It is an AWD, found out when I started to change the front brakes and found the front axle..... and pads I bought for RWD didn't match the ones I took off.....

the parking brake has held it fine, although now that my slow time is here...... as of today..... I'll finally get the chance to check it out, along with Tires and suspension. combination of needing some repairs as well as upgrades to hold the load now in the van....

Tires will be going to LT, but I want something that rides ok, but strong enough side wall for load.

is there something between P and LT or just different strength side walls, some thicker some thinner......?

Put over 7000 miles on it so far. second oil change today....went to full synthetic, see if it boosts the mileage any... hit the 20 mpg on a few tanks, but averaging around 17 most of the time.... although service eng light came on last week, seemed run ok, but noticed the mileage dropoff.... only got 230 miles out of the last tank full, averaged out to under 11..... the service eng light went back out, and so far the mileage since has improved.... put nearly 100 miles on it today, and still over three quarters of a tank... well on the way to another 400-500 mile tank.

The air filter that was in it, was just about solid.... filled with dirt... did its job, its a wonder it was getting any air at all, with the amount of dirt it it.... surprised how heavy the old one was compared to the new one....

I'll stop at Autozone or Murrays, on Friday and have them check and see if there are any codes in the computer, for what might have caused the problem, see if something needs to be changed or if problem resolved itself...(nice to dream isn't it.... it could happen?)

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by CaptSquid »

I've got LTs on my van and I don't regret the decision. Passenger tires may ride quieter, but just won't hold up to the weight of the van. The tread wears out too quickly.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

If it is an AWD then your problem is either the transfer case is bad, the front diff is bad or one or both of the front axles are bad. With all wheels on the ground try and turn the front driveshaft. It should not turn.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

kamenz
I get chills without my van.

Post by kamenz »

Or try to loosen your front wheel lugs with the wheel raised of the ground,if everything is working correctly you should be able to do this.
Kamenz

1998 Astro AWD Conversion

Topic author
Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

I still need to change one rotor, so when I take the tire off, I'll try and see if its holding... I seem to recall when I changed the passenger side, I could still move the front tire while it was off the ground, so might have a problem with the AWD. both rotors were torn up a bit when I changed the front pads, but at that point I wasn't making another trip to exchange rotors that day. I did stop and exchange new rotors for correct ones after changing the pads.

While the brakes were dramatically better at stopping after changing the pads, I did have the shimmys from left to right pretty bad, and knew I had hot spots on the rotors catching at different times to cause it. As soon as I had a chance, and decent weather, I changed the passenger side, intending to do the other later that day, but got busy and had to postpone it.....

still haven't got around to it, and while I can still feel the one hot spot (although, it's very slightly) I know I need to finish what I started. Moving in the next couple weeks, to a house with a garage, the first time I've had a garage in over twenty years..... should make things much nicer. even the level driveway at the new house is a vast improvement over the driveway at my current house. narrow, with a brick storefront on one side and not level, so hard to work on vehicles at times.

will be having the Astro towed to new house, where I can empty all the rv and van parts from it into one side of the garage. so I can actually have room to work on the Astro and turn it into a running mini RV. Hopefully before spring time, so I can start the next project...... a home built camper to pull behind the astro when camping for extended time or need more cargo or passenger sleeping room....

anyway, I'll check the AWD when I change the other rotor, as well as find out where the adjustment is for the parking brake and see if I can fix that as well....

Over 7000 miles on Safari since mid August. so far no major problems, glad I bought it although I wish it was a high top too, its still a bit cramped with all the cleaning equipment in it, even a small additional head room would be helpfull, especially when loading or unloading and when I'm doing maintenance on the equipment.

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

kamenz wrote:Or try to loosen your front wheel lugs with the wheel raised of the ground,if everything is working correctly you should be able to do this.
This won't tell you anything. The tire will move when off the ground since the front has an open diff.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

kamenz
I get chills without my van.

Post by kamenz »

Lockdoc,could you pls.explaine why I could do this on my VW Syncro a I also do it on my 98 Astro AWD all the time.Like to listen to your explanation? :-k
Kamenz

1998 Astro AWD Conversion