Score! Set of seats for $45

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
astronut74
I sleep in my van

Score! Set of seats for $45

Post by astronut74 »

So I was checking craigslist the other day and came across a set of astro seats for $45. That's 2 captains chairs and a rear bench all for $45. I emailed the guy and he said to stop by today. I checked them out and almost walked away from them. The reason I didn't is because the captains (what I was originally looking for) are the middle row captains with the seatbelt system that is compatible to my middle row bench. The only problem that I have with them is they aren't real clean. The front of the seats aren't too bad, it's mainly the backs that are in rough shape. So can any one recommend some good vinyl cleaner for the seats? There is also some fabric on the seats that could use some cleaning got any recommendations for that as well?

Now, before I bolt them up, can I just drill the holes through the floor and bolt them up? or is the floor going to require a little more support? Maybe I should have a plate welded underneath the van to give a little more strength?

As a side note, since all I wanted were the captains chairs, I now have a bench seat that I don't need. Free to a good home.. If anyone is interested, I'm in Melbourne, Florida.
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

skippy
I sleep in my van

Re: Score! Set of seats for $45

Post by skippy »

Drill through the floor & use big 2" fender washers on both sides (top & bottom ) you may get lucky if you measure right & hit the frame rail on both outer edges , it requires a longer bolt but you know its not going to pull through the floor . the only real problem your going to run into is the seat behind the drivers seat , is directly over the tank . your going toi have to pull the tank to do it correctly . not really a bad job if you've had the tank out recently .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Topic author
astronut74
I sleep in my van

Post by astronut74 »

I found some vinyl cleaner at Autozone last night and cleaned up my seats. They look brand new now! :supz: I was very impressed at how well they came clean. Maybe a little later this week, I'll be able to drop the tank and get these mounted.
So, Skippy, no welding needed huh? That's a relief, I'm no welder. I will probably still put a little JB weld on the bolt underneath just to hold the bolts in place should I ever have to take the seats out for cleaning.

It's tempting though, if I'm going to have my tank dropped for this, I may just want to get my gas filler shaved at the same time... yep, I think that's what I'll do...
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

great find! Although, it appears to me that dropping the gas tank, drilling and bolting in the seats will take much less time than shaving the gas fill. Having dropped my gas tank to replace fuel pumps twice, I can tell you, you won't have to drop the tank to disconnect the fill tube. Do the seats, save the shave for another weekend. Much more immediate gratification, especially after finding a cleaner to spruce them up!
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....