Engine problem possibilities?

Topic author
afsigma21
I finally get the smurf thing

Engine problem possibilities?

Post by afsigma21 »

Looking for a few opinions, thoughts from you guru's. I am novice at best!

I posted this stuff in the cooling forum when asking about a radiator.... Different question here.
I am about to buy my Safari. A 1997 High Top Conversion, real nice interior.

The guy selling it says... "It blew a heater hose that runs to the back for the rear heat and lost antifreeze, it overheated, so I pulled over and had it towed home"

Then he says "I took it to [local repair place] and he said it needs new head gaskets and that was going to cost $400, it had water in one of the cylinders."

It has been sitting this way since December 2007.

I was talking to my father last night, who always seems to know WAY more than I ever give him credit for....

He suggested that there are other possibilities, cracked Heads or Cracked Block. These are obviously MUCH more expensive repairs.

2 questions,

1. What are your thoughts on the realistic possibility of a cracked head or block?
2. If it is worst case scenario, What is a guestimate of a labor price to swap an engine? That is way over my head!

Any other concerns of car that has been sitting unrepaired for this long?

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Engine problem possibilities?

Post by Rileysowner »

afsigma21 wrote:Looking for a few opinions, thoughts from you guru's. I am novice at best!
I'm more or less a novice as well, but have been here on the board for years now picking up information here and there. Don't let that hinder you from trying to do stuff.

afsigma21 wrote:The guy selling it says... "It blew a heater hose that runs to the back for the rear heat and lost antifreeze, it overheated, so I pulled over and had it towed home"
Then he says "I took it to [local repair place] and he said it needs new head gaskets and that was going to cost $400, it had water in one of the cylinders."
It has been sitting this way since December 2007.
I was talking to my father last night, who always seems to know WAY more than I ever give him credit for....
He suggested that there are other possibilities, cracked Heads or Cracked Block. These are obviously MUCH more expensive repairs.
When a vehicle overheats there are a whole bunch of things that could go wrong. Or it could simply be something small. I don't think a whole answer can be given until the engine is actually pulled out and the heads and block checked. I could be wrong about that as I have never faced the problem.
afsigma21 wrote:1. What are your thoughts on the realistic possibility of a cracked head or block?
It is possible depending on how hot it got when overheated.
afsigma21 wrote:2. If it is worst case scenario, What is a guestimate of a labor price to swap an engine? That is way over my head!
That would depend on where you live, what the going labor rate is, and various other factors. I think a better question would be how many hours labor (on average) a replacement like that would take. I'm guessing someone will suggest putting in a V8, but that will be even more labor and I get the feeling cost is an issue.
afsigma21 wrote:Any other concerns of car that has been sitting unrepaired for this long?
If there is water in a cylinder I would be concerned with rust in there after that long causing damage. The other concern I would have is that since it doesn't run it is difficult to know what condidtion the other components of the vehicle are in such as the transmission, steering, a/c and the like.

I'm sure others with more experience will give answers as well. Hopefully with more details.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

92astro

Post by 92astro »

i think that you should check it out as in check the oil for water and check the rad. for rust.
bryan in oklahoma i have a 1992 chevy astro with 174,000 miles runs and drives very good with a couple of issues nothing major future mods: 350 smallblock v-8 simple and easy!!, tach, rims and others!!current mods:15%tinted windows

92astro

Post by 92astro »

here is another idea if the guy that is selling the van is telling the truth and he caught the overheat in time then it might be okay and it could have just blown a head gasket then it should be okay also if he will let you, you should take the plugs out and try to turn the engine over to see if the water that was left in the cylinder has seized the engine cause if it has been sitting for that long it might or might not be seized but i would try to turn it over.
bryan in oklahoma i have a 1992 chevy astro with 174,000 miles runs and drives very good with a couple of issues nothing major future mods: 350 smallblock v-8 simple and easy!!, tach, rims and others!!current mods:15%tinted windows

Topic author
afsigma21

Post by afsigma21 »

The plugs are out, and I did try to turn it over....

Something turned, I definitely heard the starter turn, and could hear clicking, like the plug wires trying fo fire.

As I do more and more digging, I think it may cost me more to repair this one than to get a similar model, which is running.

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

afsigma21 wrote:The plugs are out, and I did try to turn it over....

Something turned, I definitely heard the starter turn, and could hear clicking, like the plug wires trying fo fire.

As I do more and more digging, I think it may cost me more to repair this one than to get a similar model, which is running.

I agree totally.Take a pass on this one and your turn to find one will come.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Still a lot of unanswered questions. First thing is a compression test. That will reveal a lot. At least the next step. Don't be too quick to give up on this one. I bought a nice 97 conversion van for $500.00. Replaced the engine and sold it for $4000.00. What is the owners asking price? It could turn out to be a good deal. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
afsigma21

Post by afsigma21 »

The problem is I cant really get it to a mechanic to do any kinda testing unless I buy.

Guy is asking $1500 which is way high, but with local market and others selling for that which actually run, I think I can get it just under a grand.

I talked to my mechanic and he says swap out with a low miles used engine for about $2000.

I am still considering it, my mechanic thinks it probably just needs heads.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

That is too high for a van that doesn't run and not knowing what the problems are. \:D/

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

The case of being lucky on stuff like this are more rare than you want to think about.A grand is a Texas hold-em that I wouldn't bet on.I got my LT with a blown tranny and took a chance.But I could hear it run.I think you could find a van running for less than you would spend to get this going.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

One way to look at it is this. Is that van worth $3500 to $4000 to you in good running condition? If it is, then go ahead and buy it because that is the minimum you'll have. Figure $1000 purchase, $2000 for engine and you MUST add in another $500 to $1000 for miscellaneous, like the mechanic's bill being $2500 because he has to put braces on his kid's teeth! Also figure in tires, brakes (been sitting so maybe), exhaust etc. Personally, I would walk away if I couldn't do the work myself.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
afsigma21

Post by afsigma21 »

I went over and had another look last night, and got a little more information.

No water in the oil, the heater hose was fixed when it happened, but then would not start. My mechanic is a good family friend that I have known for years. His kids are all grown, so no braces \:D/
It turns over just fine, I looked at it from a few angles.
He also showed me receipts from new AC condenser, brakes and radiator within the last 18 months.

I have looked at about a dozen other vans in various conditions. Here is the real kicker on this one......

My wife likes it! Because it is a high top, leather seats, tv/vcr/DVD, dual stereo, electric fold down rear seat and all those conversion extras. The interior is in great shape. Other than mechanically, it is the exact van we (read SHE) were looking for. :D

I am going to give it 2 more weeks of looking and if I dont find one, I am gonna pull the trigger.

I got the price down to $800. He is anxious to get rid of it.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

This deal is sounding better. If the van is in great shape other than the motor I'd probably go for it. You still haven't found why it won't run. It could be something relatively minor and not costing very much to repair. \:D/

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

If he got the motor shut down quickly after it got hot, chances are it will be ok once you get it running. Go back in 2 weeks and offer him $500 and tow it home! :D
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Rufus
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by Rufus »

Smiliesafari wrote:This deal is sounding better. If the van is in great shape other than the motor I'd probably go for it. You still haven't found why it won't run. It could be something relatively minor and not costing very much to repair. \:D/
I gotta agree. The only good price for this van is "free", especially if all work to be done you will pay someone else to do. The labor alone will eat you up. Simply way too many unknowns.
97 Astro LS Passenger Van, 4.3L (newly rebuilt)
New Orleans, LA