IAC/ EGR SES Codes

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
moboman
I get chills without my van.

Re: IAC/ EGR SES Codes

Post by moboman »

I just replaced the PCV valve yesterday. Like $1.67 at autozone.

Yes, my van did not have these problems before I worked on the egr, but the problems didnt start right after I cleaned the egr.

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

I was just under the hood of my van looking at something on the AC, and I pulled that line fron the passenger side valve cover into the air intake. It has a slight vacuum on it, which is drawn through from the PCV valve. That is normal. I'm still wondering why when you plug your PCV valve it starts to run normally. Are all the vacuum/PCV lines on? Could be a vacuum leak at the egr too, if you spray carb cleaner around that area while its running, if its leaking the idle will change.

All the sensors are connected again right? That would cause funny stuff too..

Scott

Topic author
moboman

Post by moboman »

sfeaver wrote:I was just under the hood of my van looking at something on the AC, and I pulled that line fron the passenger side valve cover into the air intake. It has a slight vacuum on it, which is drawn through from the PCV valve. That is normal. I'm still wondering why when you plug your PCV valve it starts to run normally. Are all the vacuum/PCV lines on? Could be a vacuum leak at the egr too, if you spray carb cleaner around that area while its running, if its leaking the idle will change.

All the sensors are connected again right? That would cause funny stuff too..

Scott

Is it safe to spray carb cleaner around the egr? If so, I'll get some and try it tomorrow.

Thanks,
David

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

Ya its safe, just dont go overboard with it. Just want to listen for a change in idle.

Topic author
moboman

Post by moboman »

I installed a new egr gasket with a screen in it. The van rides much better.
The van throws 0306 when i accelerate from a stop.

thanks for the help

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

the P0306 code is a Cylinder 6 Misfire..

Does your scan tool show the captured data when the code was set?

Any other codes set as well?

How many miles on the plugs and wires.

Still seems kinda wierd that this all started after changing the EGR though.

Scott

Topic author
moboman

Post by moboman »

I'm thinking its time for a tune-up. I think there might be about 70k on the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. My odo has been flaky the last few years. I'm not sure, maybe if I broke the cylinder 6 wire or something.

I also want to take it to the dealer and have a brake diagnostic run. The ABS light comes on after you drive down the road a little bit, every time.

there are no other codes.

I'm using a scanguageII to read the codes, I dont think it can show anything other than the code.

Thanks for the help.
David

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

70k is definately a good time. I'd check if you the wire got bumped though, just might need a wiggle to get you by for now.

I have a scangauge II as well, I think there might be a way to get the stored info as well, I'd have to look at the book. I have a program on my laptop that I use to do that so I have never tried. When you hit scan, see if there are any options when you list the code.

I dont think it can do the ABS stuff, but a trip to the dealer should at least give you a code to see where the problem lies. My guess would be on a wheel speed sensor, but you need to know the code for sure.

Scott

Topic author
moboman

Post by moboman »

what setup do you use with your laptop? I have a computer in my van and have been thinking of getting setup for it to read the codes.

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

I use this software http://www.bowserelectronics.com/

I got the one with all the extended information for GM stuff, so it can get more than just the basic readouts.

Scott

Topic author
moboman

Post by moboman »

Thanks Scott. I will look into the scan tool a little more. My scanguage was like 160, so 180 doesn't seem too bad for that.

Well $1200 at the stealorship later, I have a perfect running van again with a nice ride!

It got a new fuel filter, cap, rotor, plugs, and wires. They ground all the gunk out of the inside of the intake. Then they replaced the front shocks.

So other than the transmission shifting hard into second, I have a like-new van at 170k miles! =D>

It only took a year, but my van is back together!

and here is the custom housing for the scanguage