need help identifying complex in south florida

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

need help identifying complex in south florida

Post by astrozam »

Question for South Floridians,can anyone tell me what this complex ( for lack of a better word ) is just southeast of Florida City? its huge,massive rows upon rows,here is the link,it has what appears to be some sort of chemical company just to its north east. Thanks
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&ll= ... 22101&z=11

NotDadsW41
I sleep in my van

Re: need help identifying complex in south florida

Post by NotDadsW41 »

MY guess is some kind of either a power plant or an ethanol plant, just my $.02 from looking at the pictures.
CD_S
1991 W41
1995 Astro - Now gone, I am Astroless.
1997 C1500
1989 9C1 Caprice
1997 Bonneville
1998 Olds 88 LS
http://forums.b-body.org - newly updated!

Topic author
astrozam

Post by astrozam »

Using the scale on the google map the area that has all the rows is over 5 miles long and about 2 miles wide,could it be a massive de-salination plant?

astronut74
I sleep in my van

Post by astronut74 »

That, sir, is Turkey Point Nuclear Power Plant. The Grids that you see are part of the plant as well. Not quite certain how it all works however. (I'm not a nuclear scientist ya know!) From what I've read so far, it provides an enormous amount of the power in south Florida.
There was a pretty big power outage here in florida earlier this year that was caused by a malfuctioning voltage switch at that plant. Apparently it caught fire and they shut down the plant.
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

Topic author
astrozam

Post by astrozam »

astronut74 wrote:That, sir, is Turkey Point Nuclear Power Plant. The Grids that you see are part of the plant as well. Not quite certain how it all works however. (I'm not a nuclear scientist ya know!) From what I've read so far, it provides an enormous amount of the power in south Florida.
There was a pretty big power outage here in florida earlier this year that was caused by a malfuctioning voltage switch at that plant. Apparently it caught fire and they shut down the plant.
Thanks for the info astronut74, now that I know a name I can look into what those grids do ( Damn Google,always leading me on these investigations,LOL )

EDIT: that was fast,heres what they are used for, info taken from...http://www.fpl.com/environment/nuclear/ ... oint.shtml

"The endangered American crocodile enjoys a favorable habitat in the plant cooling canal system. We protect the crocodile and conduct research by counting crocodile nests annually to record population changes. More than 3,000 crocodiles have been marked and released, and FPL is committed to continuing protection of the species while encouraging ongoing public education"

And this as well...Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey_Poi ... ng_Station
" A separate supply of water that cools the turbine steam supply for reuse comes from a unique system of 36 interconnected canals. The canals act like a giant radiator to cool the water in a two-day, 168-mile journey before it is circulated back to the condenser for reuse"

astronut74
I sleep in my van

Post by astronut74 »

I believe the "grids" are just land formed in such a way as to harness (not sure if that's the best word) the water needed for the plant operations. Maybe.. Just a guess.. I'm just a :dunce: :D
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater