Wooden supercar?

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Wooden supercar?

Post by Water Boy »

I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

astronut74
I sleep in my van

Re: Wooden supercar?

Post by astronut74 »

As awesome as that car is, and it is awesome, I would hate to be in an accident with it. Imagine all the wood just shattering in a million pieces. And there's no metal frame?! Great craftsmanship though..
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

Hotroder383
I get chills without my van.

Post by Hotroder383 »

Looks cool, couldnt pay me enough to drive it. I guess I am just old, but I need my metal around me to feel safe. and the biggest quetion is... WHy wood????
93 GMC Safari SOLD stilll see her drivein around every so often =/

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

Water Boy wrote:700HP wooden car.

http://www.joeharmondesign.com/pod.html

Hey W.B.-must be a Ga thing. :muhaha: :muhaha:
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Archiev
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by Archiev »

What about the British sports car the Morgan? It still uses a wooden framework.
Quando Omni Flunkas Moritati
(loosley translated, when all else fails, play dead)

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Assuming they did the engineering work needed to provide the proper structure for the design, it would be just as good a metal, possibly even better. Remember this is not just wood, it is wood composite. That means it is made of wood and some type of epoxy. As the one video pointed out wood actually has a stronger strength to weight ratio than aluminum. With the composite, I would guess it is even stronger. As he mentioned, this is similar to building a carbon fiber body, but replacing the carbon fiber with wood. If I had the know how, I would happily build a wooden body for a vehicle.

As to the frame, again, if designed correctly, it would be just fine. I guess it depends on how well one trusts the designers.

I am looking forward to seeing it running.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

I just have to ask "why?".

But hey, it is really cool.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Looks like Joe has some seriously sick wood-workin skills, I'd take that for a test drive in a heart-beat if givin the chance,awesome car :cheers:

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Hotroder383 wrote:Looks cool, couldnt pay me enough to drive it. I guess I am just old, but I need my metal around me to feel safe. and the biggest quetion is... WHy wood????
easy to work...it looks like a wood / epoxy resin composite to me. Ok, so I finished my wood epoxy kayak, what shall I build now? Oh of course a 700hp wood car! I have to wonder what will keep the engine from torqing itself right out of the engine compartment when he revs it...or just flipping over. He better have his aerodynamics down pat, it's likely to take off like an ultralight plane. ](*,)
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

astronut74
I sleep in my van

Post by astronut74 »

Ok, so I finished my wood epoxy kayak, what shall I build now?
Wait a second, are you saying you built a wood epoxy kayak? or did the guy in the article build a wood kayak?
If you built the wood kayak, I would be interested in seeing pics of that (and the build process if possible) I have thought about doing that myself, but it's a little pricey for me right now...
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

astronut74 wrote:
Ok, so I finished my wood epoxy kayak, what shall I build now?
Wait a second, are you saying you built a wood epoxy kayak? or did the guy in the article build a wood kayak?
If you built the wood kayak, I would be interested in seeing pics of that (and the build process if possible) I have thought about doing that myself, but it's a little pricey for me right now...
I have plans for a stitch and glue plywood/epoxy kayak. I haven't built it yet because I actually prefer working on the vehicles. I still would like to build it someday though.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

astronut74 wrote:

I was making a joke, the guy in the article didn't but I did, about 18 years ago. Sorry no pics, no digital cam back then.
17' touring kayak with a modified elongated cockpit. Do some checking online. There's tons of source material now - plans, kits. It's one of the easiest boats to build. I highly recommend System 3 resins and fiberglassing products. They have a water based epoxy paint that is great stuff, pretty pricey these days though. I think I paid $90 for a gallon for it back when. I think it's up over $200 now. A gallon turned out to be more than I needed though.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....