major headache

fingernipp
I am merely driving my van

Re: major headache

Post by fingernipp »

You wont see a problem if its an O2 sensor until its warm. It will use the base fuel table and should run fine although likely a little rich. I bet it turns out to be something that has everyone slapping their foreheads.

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

I bet it turns out to be something that has everyone slapping their foreheads.
your exactly right , it will be something so stupid that we're just over looking it . #-o #-o
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Just a shot in the dark, but perhaps you have a leak at the intake manifold gasket or throttle body gasket. How do the plugs look?
intake gasket was just replaced (one of the last things he did ) & the plugs looked good when he had them out to do a compression test . plugs all seemed to be burning evenly & clean , no soot or carbon build up .

keep the suggestions coming , eventually someone will think of something we have not .

And dean , i'm doing everything i can to keep him from blowing it up , please don't give him any more ideas !!! :muhaha: :muhaha: :muhaha:

Jim if you do happen to find a witchdoctor send him this way , we'll try anything at this point . :D :D :D
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Topic author
liftedwhiteastro

Post by liftedwhiteastro »

I've thought about burning it, but a 1/4 stick inthe gas tank would be cooler to see.

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

What brand fuel pump did you put in??.Any chance you are seeing the pressure,but not the volume??.Did you straight edge the intake to check to see if it was warped??.Let say it is leaking to the inside and not to the outside.You could spray it to death and it wouldn't show up.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

The only thing that was noticed is that the EGR valve has vaccum at idle when it shouldn't untill the RPM's are brought up .

any idea's about that ??????
:-k :-k :-k :-k

DAILY THOUGHT:

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

bump !!!! any ideas ? anybody ?

DAILY THOUGHT:

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I know when we were in PA wheeling one time and Bill came over to see us, his van wouldn't idle to save it's life. We pulled the EGR and found it was stuck open with some carbon chunks. Seems to me that your should be closed as well and the vacuum seems to be holding it open. Pull the vacuum line off and try it. Then if it works, just gotta find which lines are crossed or why it's pulling vacuum at idle.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

i'll talk to him to see if hes tried that or not , but i think he has , i know hes had the EGR off a few times .

DAILY THOUGHT:

Topic author
liftedwhiteastro

Post by liftedwhiteastro »

It ran the same with the egr unhooked, but according to my cousin, the egr is fine. He also said that the little amount of vacuum that it has, it wouldnt cause the problem im having.

fingernipp

Post by fingernipp »

I think your van has a positive back pressure EGR valve and EGR Vacuum Solenoid. You might wanna check out the solenoid. Its what sends vacuum to the EGR valve.

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

What effects would a bad EGR solenoid have on the motor? would it effect the idle as bad as it is ?

DAILY THOUGHT:

fingernipp

Post by fingernipp »

It could maybe allow vacuum to the EGR valve keeping it open and allowing excessiev flow at idle.

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

nope , not the egr solenoid or the egr itself . theres not enough vaccum being drawn to really effect anything . vaccum lines area little crossed but thats no biggie , an easy fix . but it still won't idle & dies when put in gear .

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

DAILY THOUGHT:

astronut74
I sleep in my van

Post by astronut74 »

but it still won't idle & dies when put in gear
You know, I had a 91 Mazda MX6 that did the same thing. I doubt it's the same culprit as here, but I'll thow it out there any ways...
Every time I came to a stop, I had to throw it in nuetral so it wouldn't die, as soon as I put it in gear, I had to gas it so it wouldn't stall. It turned out the rubber intake tubing leading to the MAF was cracked, not enough that you could tell just looking at it, but when the motor torque'd when it was put in gear, the crack opened up causing a really lean condition and it stalled. funny thing is it would run in reverse just fine. That's because in reverse, the motor torque'd in the opposite direction sealing the crack in the rubber intake pipe.
Like I said, probably not the same culprit because were talking about 2 different vehicles with 2 different intake systems, but maybe it'll help get the juices flowing in the brain and might help you find your culprit...

How are the motor mounts?
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater