The Best Millage Possible

k120189
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: The Best Millage Possible

Post by k120189 »

well my van has the 3.23 and before i had problems it would get up and go alright...but im having ignition problems and my tranny is going so im gonna say im in the 15's with my van 17's highway....

--->2000 RWD 4.3L/4L60E ,3.43 gears.exhaust and throttle body mods.
...gone =(...

-->1998 kia sportage 3 inch lift 30 inch tires under repairs

chemist
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by chemist »

kings-x59 wrote:I read a while back about using acetone to de-varnish your gas tank. I assume it would do the same thing to the entire fuel system.
I'm no auto tech, but do NOT do that. You'll cause unnecessary wear on pump seals, and any rubber lines. As far as "de-varnishing" your gas tank, remember that the way acetone does this is by dissolving that crud, and then introducing it through the fuel lines right into your engine.

Previous Vans: 1998 Astro, AWD, 138K mi; traded on 2003 Chevy Astro, AWD, 125K mi; traded on
2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT, 4x4, ext, long box
2007 Chevy Cobalt
1998 Maza MPV (180K mi and in need of PA inspection--only paid $500!)

Needed: a Gen 2 Astro project vehicle...

Rufus
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by Rufus »

kings-x59 wrote:Dan,
I think the only thing you would gain from 3.23 gears is aggrevation. My '89 came stock with 3.23's. I drive a lot of stop and go traffic and wish every day I had 3.73 gears. (one of these days)
Lugs something awful in the bottom end of 4th gear.
I gotta agree. My Astro has 3.23's and in many cases it like you're dragging a boat anchor.
When you start going uphill, even a bridge or overpass, you loose tons of speed and you find yourself putting a lot of "foot" into it just to maintain speed. If you're towing anything, avoid 3.23s. 3.42's is the highest they recommend for towing.
I'd love a nice 3.73.
97 Astro LS Passenger Van, 4.3L (newly rebuilt)
New Orleans, LA

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

astrozam wrote:If your getting that kinda mileage,and your happy with how it tows then do not change anything.
A light foot with smooth acceleration, and let off the gas for decel will yield you better gas milage. Check out what gears you have and let us know.

On my 250 mile eachway drives towing out the the Colorado River, I like to drive barefoot to beable to lighten up on the pedal to maintain my cruise speed.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

Dang it, I miscalculated on my last tank and ran the van dry. Thought I had about 50 miles left, the van gave me 8. My wonderful wife came to my rescue with our 2.5 gallon gas can. The number of gallons used this tank I recorded higher than I think it should be, cause I'm not sure exactly how accurate the gas can is, plus I spilled some. However even with the number of gallons being slightly inflated the van still got 22.44 mpg for the tank.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

Well I just took a run out to see the parents and grandparent - had to show them the new baby... (7 weeks) I guess thats the grandparents and Great grandparents... LOL

Anyway Banff, AB I filled - drove to Invermere, BC - then some running around out there, but not much, and back home to Calgary, AB. I got just shy of 20 MPG - 19.2 MPG to be exact. Best mileage yet for my time with the Astro. Hope it stays like this! Anyway I thought this is good mileage for the size, weight, mountain pass, etc.... and AWD. 95% highway - maybe 5% town/city - 56 liters for 460km's... Did I mention that was the speed limit... driving like grandma.... 92kph in BC and 114kph out of the park in Alberta

Around the city it varies - from about 12MPG to 15MPG
2001 Astro LT AWD - SOLD @ 180,200KM
Now I got a 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4 x 4
to pull a Hybrid RV - 2006 Kodiak 235
Calgary, Alberta