idle rough

Topic author
92astro
I finally get the smurf thing

idle rough

Post by 92astro »

i did a full tune-up and checked for misfire and there is none all plugs firing here is the problem when the engine is idleing in park i can feel the engine viberting more then it should when cold it is not as pronouced but when warm it is it feels like a misfire at idle when i put the van into gear i really feel it doing it feels like a rough and misfire idle only no other problems it is pretty strong engine just weird and annoying vibes at idle. this a 1992 TBI astro 2 wd.
bryan in oklahoma i have a 1992 chevy astro with 174,000 miles runs and drives very good with a couple of issues nothing major future mods: 350 smallblock v-8 simple and easy!!, tach, rims and others!!current mods:15%tinted windows

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: idle rough

Post by kings-x59 »

Start with the EGR, pull it and check for carbon causing the pintle to stick
You also might double check your distributor cap and make sure it is screwed down tight.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

s10-den

Post by s10-den »

I would pull each plug wire off and make sure they all are firing...then spray some soapy water around and check for a vacum leak,or carb cleaner, but make sure the engine is not hot, might get your self in a situation know as a "fire"
94 Astro cargo EXT----Bought specifically to mod!!Will be tbi 350 v8 and new front end conversion
Done so many v8 s10's their old news

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

i did the plug trick and came up empty here is something weird when i come to a stop or anytime i am stopped it seems and feels like my idle is too low. but i have not ruled out a vac leak but the idle would be higher.
bryan in oklahoma i have a 1992 chevy astro with 174,000 miles runs and drives very good with a couple of issues nothing major future mods: 350 smallblock v-8 simple and easy!!, tach, rims and others!!current mods:15%tinted windows

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

could a EGR valve acting up cause a low idle and make it rough? cause that is what i am leaning towards also the exhaust does smell a little rich could EGR valve cause that?

fingernipp
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by fingernipp »

92astro wrote:could a EGR valve acting up cause a low idle and make it rough? cause that is what i am leaning towards also the exhaust does smell a little rich could EGR valve cause that?
Yep stuck open EGR can cause all those symptoms. If its wide open it will sound like you have a crazy cam... lopey low idle and run VERY rich. Might even want to stall when you come to a stop or try to get going again.

s10-den

Post by s10-den »

Check the MAP too...
94 Astro cargo EXT----Bought specifically to mod!!Will be tbi 350 v8 and new front end conversion

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

if the egr is sticking open at idle is it cause of carbon or low vac?

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

also how should i test the egr valve?

s10-den

Post by s10-den »

Just take the vacume from it and see if it runs better or put a finger underneath it and push up, the engine will stall or die.

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

s10-den wrote:Just take the vacume from it and see if it runs better or put a finger underneath it and push up, the engine will stall or die.

Bryon,
Look,just take off the ERG and clean out the carbon.Then install a screen gasket.This is a common problem with these vans.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

s10-den

Post by s10-den »

Or do like GEJ says...

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

s10-den wrote:I would pull each plug wire off and make sure they all are firing...then spray some soapy water around and check for a vacum leak,or carb cleaner, but make sure the engine is not hot, might get your self in a situation know as a "fire"
a vacuum leak sucks, both figuratively and literally, use carb cleaner, you don't want soapy water sucked into your engine.
soapy water works great on natural gas line leaks though...

also, the screened egr gasket is definitely the way to go as Gary suggested. Tomco has them online, but make sure the gasket pattern matches your egr. They sold me a wrong gasket. They don't have the gasket pattern for my '89.

The only way to push the egr in with your finger is if you've removed it, at which point you have a massive vacuum leak

If your egr was stuck closed, you'd experience engine knock when accelerating, which if you knew what you were listening for you'd hear, if not you'd notice the lack of power on acceleration. If it was stuck open, it'd idle like crud. If you haven't already, pull it and clean it anyway. Also clean the holes, ports, in the engine block as best you can.
If you are smelling gas, it's running rich or misfiring. If you don't have a service engine light on, it's probably not the map sensor. you may have a fuel injector that is sticking open and peeing gas into the throttle body rather than spraying it.
sticking injectors on the model 220 throttle body injection do not throw codes. this I know from personal experience. My engine almost hydro-locked due to both injectors stuck wide open. remove the air cleaner housing, remove the vacuum hose from the backside of the throttle body intake, the hose that routes from the top middle down to the driver's side rocker cover. the TBI intake shroud can then be removed by hand so you can see the injectors. get a flashlight and just turn the key to the on position, the fuel pump will cycle for about 2 seconds, you should see a fine cone shaped mist from the injectors, if you see liquid dripping gas from either of the injectors, it's toast. If so, by oem injectors to replace, do not buy rebuilt injectors. The oem injectors are expensive as hell, but they will work the first time and last a long long time.

One last thought, these vans are really picky about distributor caps and the terminals in the caps, some model years run great with caps with aluminum terminals and some run great with brass terminals, my '89 is the latter. It did just fine with aluminum terminals for a short while, then almost left me stranded. I replaced the cap I had recently bought with a bosch brass terminal cap and have had no problems since.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

s10-den

Post by s10-den »

Soapy water will be fine.Been there done that thousands of times wont hurt a thing.If you have that bad of a leak, your in big trouble anyways.I have seen a egr and a map go out and not trigger a checkengine light.Prolly as this guys problem.If the check engine light is on,just see what the codes are.
On the EGR,I havent looked at an astro unit, but ons10's all you have to do is push it up by your finger......I'll have to look at mine and see what it looks like now.... :)

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

s10-den wrote:Soapy water will be fine.Been there done that thousands of times wont hurt a thing.If you have that bad of a leak, your in big trouble anyways.I have seen a egr and a map go out and not trigger a checkengine light.Prolly as this guys problem.If the check engine light is on,just see what the codes are.
On the EGR,I havent looked at an astro unit, but ons10's all you have to do is push it up by your finger......I'll have to look at mine and see what it looks like now.... :)
Den-just a thought.Wouldn't soapy water bubble on a hot manifold either way??. :-k
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.